Cleric improvement idea for testing

Juristech

I have played the rogue to level 14, Warrior to level 12 and cleric to level 10.
After playing all three, and paying attention to their armor, DPS and abilities, the cleric is (in my opinion) the weakest of the three. I would like to propose one change for testing purposes to see if it will bring him up to par with the other two classes.

I believe that tweaking Arbeno’s Might will make the cleric much more viable when compared to the warrior and rogue.

1. Make Arbeno’s Might an active skill that the cleric is vested with by his diety that is channeled rather than by using mana. The same timers will apply (the duration and cooldown). This will allow the cleric to have DPS in the range of the warrior and rogue on a fairly consistent basis. Mana drains very fast for the cleric, and having this skill mana based limits the cleric considerably.

2. Change the fire damage bonus to ‘holy’ damage. The cleric is actually healing fire based creatures (dragons, wyverns, imps, etc.) when using this skill. Also, changing it to ‘holy’ damage should double that particular bonus for undead and summoned creatures, which is the bread and butter of the cleric.

That’s it. I would like to recommend the above changes for testing to see how it works in the beta.

Thanks

Apeiros

I completely agree about changing the elemental damage of Cleric spells (particularly Arbeno's Might). I have a level 12 or 13 cleric, and wrote a post not too long ago talking about how the skills work with the game mechanics.

Ultimately, I think it's a may say some strange things about the source and nature of the Deity's power that cleric's cannot invoke the power of the three to harm Fire Imps, and other Fire immune/resistant/absorb enemies. I personally associate those enemies with evil beings though the bias is rooted in pop/video game cultural tropes. Changing the damage types, or even providing a range of damage types to show the range of the abilities of the three would be a good idea in my opinion.

As far as changing the way Arbeno's might works as a class mechanic, I think the ability should cost mana, but the duration should exceed the cooldown (at least at max level). I also think there should be more ways to recover mana, but things are actually pretty balanced right now. It's a tight line between making mana a limited resource where which spells you choose matter, and making the class absurdly powerful.

Unknown

I dont really see a problem with arbenos might adding fire damage, though i have to agree that atm its just not worth investing 3 points for the highest rank, minimal damage and duration boost + higher mana costs just dont justify such a steep skillpoint investment. Either significantly increase the duration for rank 3, reduce its manacost back to 3 (rank 1 level) or reduce the skillpoint cost to 1-1-2 (same as Nivarrias Barrier).

Also Arbenos Might and Holy Shield probably shouldnt have a cooldown, they are buffs so spamming them really wont give any additional value and the manacost is a fair enough investment for the benefit they provide. Giving them no cooldown at all also makes their use more of a skill-check as you want to time them right to not waste mana by overwriting existing effects.

Otherwise i cant really agree with what was said above, cleric seems in a very good place, having by far the easiest time in early game while falling a bit short in endgame clear speed largely due to the lack in powerfull weapon options rogues and warriors get. Which is totally fine though, considering cleric makes up for that with the safest playstyle due to mana essentially being a second healthbar

ArrowsFTW

Same thing with Sacred Fire making it holy type.
Also Thelume's Wisdom needs a revision cause it is basically the same as Dungeoneering.
It can be changed into something like this
Thelume's Wisdom:
Level 1- 30% dmg goes to your MP
Level 2- 45% dmg goes to your MP
Level 3-60% dmg goes to your MP

I could also see this kind of skill in the Mage Class

David pls respon.

Aalandryll

Loreseeker
While I agree Dungeoneering is redundant with Thelume's Wisdom, they are not the same thing... You don't get 95% detection chance and told about secrets remaining in an area with Dungeoneering.

I find Thelume's Wisdom much better and therefore do not bother with putting points in Dungeoneering... It is basically a wasted skill slot, but it is a universal so it makes sense that all classes have them even if redundant.

I do like the idea of being able to switch the type of elemental damage because so many enemies are resistant to fire...

feldon

Loreseeker
Been on the 'change away from fire' since Clerics got advanced skills that did not offer a different elemental damage.

Board Troll

I completely agree with the original poster's viewpoint.

Let's just get rid of fire damage all together, that is the greater solution, the greatest of all suggestions is just giving us swampdonkeys and letting me buy that little plot Gurrrrr is currently occupying for my house.

Yes

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
cleric is still missing some essential skills out there. Having said this,

Juristech":117pwsit said:
1. Make Arbeno’s Might an active skill that the cleric is vested with by his diety that is channeled rather than by using mana. The same timers will apply (the duration and cooldown). This will allow the cleric to have DPS in the range of the warrior and rogue on a fairly consistent basis. Mana drains very fast for the cleric, and having this skill mana based limits the cleric considerably.
[]

I agree the skill needs some improvement, but I don't want clerics to have the DPS of warriors and rogues. I might either increase the duration, or reduce the cost for it, however.

2. Change the fire damage bonus to ‘holy’ damage. The cleric is actually healing fire based creatures (dragons, wyverns, imps, etc.) when using this skill. Also, changing it to ‘holy’ damage should double that particular bonus for undead and summoned creatures, which is the bread and butter of the cleric.

While mages will be able to choose elements to wield, I wanted to cleric to be limited to just one; setting-wise, fire is not more evil than cold or other elements here, and eventually it'll be seen how Arbenos has a link to fire.

Currently the game has 2 ice dungeons, none of them particularly popular, while fire has some important dungeons out there. but that will change.

Thanks for the feedback, for now I will just improve a bit the numbers of Arbenos, when more content and skills are available we'll see if deeper changes are required.

tmiannone1

My own suggestions for cleric would be to calculate damage boosts from Arbenos' might as a proportion of character level. This way these bonuses don't become ineffective at higher levels. That, and increasing the duration of holy/ shield as the skill level increases.

Agree with changing fire damage to holy/spirit damage as mentioned in above posts.