Rygal Deros is a ironman mage with an unique mindset. His believe is that killing from a distance is not a fair fight and every battle should be fought up close. His lonely journey to save the world will not be easy.
The rules for this challenge are simple. You create a new mage character and try to survive without using any distance attacks. So no staves or wands, daggers are the only weapons you are allowed to use. Also skills that attack from a distance are forbidden. This limits your starting skills. Here is a list of the forbidden skills:
- Ice storm
- Lighting bolt
- Staff mastery
- Wand mastery
As additional difficulty you are not allowed to use companions for this challenge since it would be too easy then. Even the buyable weak warriors are not allowed.
EDIT clarification of some rules that might be unclear:
- Adaon is optionally allowed in the unknown dungeon since you could see him as a quest related NPC like Bruno and Zilda. It's better if you manage to clear it without him of course, but you won't be disqualified for taking him with you.
- Companions are otherwise not allowed not even for their companion quests. This makes companion quests unable to do during the challenge. This also includes "A mad wizard"
Some tips for completing the challenge:
- Summoning isn't forbidden so this'll be a major help. In the beginning you can only use the sparkling but as soon as you get better reputation with the wizards you'll be a lot stronger with the golems by your side.
- Sacrificial dagger is a possible drop very early in the game and one of the best weapons available in this mode. After a while you'll be able to get the bluesteel dagger, which will be your strongest option until you manage to kill a primeval bear and afterwards finally find the scalpel in the ark.
- Since you can only wear daggers, agility will be one of your major skills. Personality will also be important later in the game to unlock the stronger summons. You might want to pick up some endurance too to counter the mages weak starter health.
- Disintegrate is an option since it just buffs your next attack. I tested it with another mage character and it works.
Good luck! If anyone tries this challenge I would love to see how it goes in a reply on this post. I'll be posting my progress in this challenge here as well.