Castle Bluerock

Martin

Hi everyone. I need help getting into Castle Bluerock. I get to the first blue wall where the traps and archers are but it's impossible to avoid the traps so the archers kill easily. Any ideas?

Cleric Knightingale

It isn't impossible to avoid the poison gas coming out of the vents at that point. If you meant the bear traps, then you just gotta work in such a way that you provoke 1-2 archers and then run to the outer room, to where they'll follow you.

Dmitri

Loreseeker
It isn't impossible to avoid the poison gas coming out of the vents at that point. If you meant the bear traps, then you just gotta work in such a way that you provoke 1-2 archers and then run to the outer room, to where they'll follow you.
What posion gas coming out of the vents are you talking about?

Duck123

Loreseeker
you can bait the enemies in the corridor back to the entrance room, kill them, and then sprint through to the other side. You can also have your companion attack everything in sight so they will run over the traps and spring them

VDX_360

Staff member
I think there's some confusion over which area is being problematic.

1) Right before you ENTER the Castle Bluerock, there's a small blue wall with a few archers and traps. It's on the map here
The warrior skill Charge can help cross the traps. Rogues have a better chance to disarm them. Everyone else has to work extra hard :) As stated above, trying to lure the archers away from the traps can help. Getting a summon / Companion to fight the archers and sitting off the traps can help.

2) Right INSIDE Bluerock Castle, there's a hallway guarded by archers and traps. It's well known as a painful hallway. There's several ways to get past it, but they fall into two general tactics:
A) Go slow killing enemies and disarming traps as they appear (require bow, range attacks).
B) Run through the hall as fast possible, (Charge will help), and getting far enough past the hallway for your Companion to teleport to you. The traps will be problematic as they can slow you down as the archers kill you.
In either option, telling your Companion to stay put while you take care of the first trap / enemy and running back to safety will help.

Bluerock Castle is a huge step-up in difficulty when you first reach it. With practice, and a little increase in equipment and levels, it becomes much easier.

Cleric Knightingale

What posion gas coming out of the vents are you talking about?
At my bad - confused it with old Imperial Fortress on steel coast. It's been a while I played EK haha. So Martin meant the Zamohr Mountains one...yup no way to bait them out there. Just bait out the enemies standing in your way and kill them off after they follow you out, then make a run for it.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Potions of Armor and Potions of Speed can certainly make a big difference...

MountainBard

I have a bit of a different take on this. The trip up the valley and around the corner to the castle entrance is basically an attrition battle. The outlaws are mostly bow-armed, but there are a few who will melee you. I use primarily ranged attacks if I have anything but a cleric running. I like to take Hirge along for healing, because otherwise I'm going to run through a lot of healing potions. Armor potions aren't much help because they don't give you their bonus vs. ranged attacks. (If memory serves: I'm just taking time to answer this before I get to work on my podcast, so excuse me if I'm wrong.) So I like to do ranged+cleric and an elemental once I get up to those three traps and three bowmen. Rapid fire + dodge,if I'm running a rogue, is handy the whole way. The bear traps will generally be higher level than your rogue. You can maneuver around the two that semi-block the narrow spots in the last run-up. Once I get there I will summon an elemental and sit back with a ranged weapon. The elemental will charge through that minefield of three bear traps. Even if it gets killed before it reaches those three archers, I think it's worth it.

I also sometimes run warrior-and-rogue, both switching between ranged and melee as appropriate. I usually have to use a rest point, or several healng potions once I get to the entrance in that case.

Then there's getting through that gauntlet once you go through the first door-- but that's another story.