Camping and overnight encounters

mmessuri

While playing the other day I had a flashback of the games of old (from a time when the C64 was fighting for dominance against the Amega); when your party (or just you) was low in health or magic points and was wondering abroad (really anywhere outside a town) rather than using a potion or magic to recover either health or magic points you could camp for a duration (was usually either hard coded for either 12 or 24 hours). Now while this was safe for the majority of the time there was always a chance that your party would be attacked while they slept (this chance increased depending on not only where you camped but also at what time of night it was). If an attack did happen, depending upon how much sleep your party was able to get you would have recovered some amount of HP/MP.

On a similar note, I remember those games increasing the difficulty level of the "monsters" you encountered based upon time of day (i.e. when it switched to night time the monsters you encountered were much meaner and tougher).

Anyway, not sure if you have given any thought of adding similar features so I thought that I would just post it here and see (this game reminds me a lot of the games I played way back when and boy did I love those!)

-- Michael --

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Noted! I have been thinking about this myself.

Reminds me of Pool of Radiance :)

mmessuri

That was a great game! Did you ever play any of the following:

1) Bards Tale
2) Wizardy 1-x
3) Ultima 1-x
4) Champions of Krynn
5) Questron

Ahhh now those were games! The number of hours I spent on those (using graph paper to map everything out) are countless :mrgreen:

-- Michael --

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
mmessuri":1fqau6ap said:
That was a great game! Did you ever play any of the following:

1) Bards Tale
2) Wizardy 1-x
3) Ultima 1-x
4) Champions of Krynn
5) Questron

Ahhh now those were games! The number of hours I spent on those (using graph paper to map everything out) are countless :mrgreen:

-- Michael --

All of those except Questron, which I know but never played. Ultimas, I skipped some of them. And I never played Wizardry 7. I played 1-5, and then skipped to 8. A few months ago I purchased 6 and 7 to complete my experience with the series, but had to put it on hold to work on Exiled Kingdoms.

As we're talking about the real classics, check Darklands if you don't know it. Best RPG ever, especially if you're into historical, dark settings. You only have to see the manual to understand what a masterpiece it was.

mmessuri

DavidBVal":3m1e6f2c said:
All of those except Questron, which I know but never played. Ultimas, I skipped some of them. And I never played Wizardry 7. I played 1-5, and then skipped to 8. A few months ago I purchased 6 and 7 to complete my experience with the series, but had to put it on hold to work on Exiled Kingdoms.

As we're talking about the real classics, check Darklands if you don't know it. Best RPG ever, especially if you're into historical, dark settings. You only have to see the manual to understand what a masterpiece it was.

That Darklands looks fantastic! I can't believe that I missed that game when it was around. Now I am going to be disappointed all weekend :x

-- Michael --

sinoako9

Digging some old suggestions!

I actually thought this feature was already implemented since right at the beginning...
The main character and Adaon camped out before things escalated.
That is kinda how and why I ended up in the forum. :lol:

Eliadann

Might&Magic III
Heroes of Might&Magic II
Pool of Radiance (old version)
Daggerfall
Wizardry 8

Everquest I (Firiona Vie server)

- Elia