[BUGS] Some Bugs I Encountered

toopa

Translator
Hi, I posted this in a longer text in that Mage Discussion Thread, but I thought it would be smarter to post them here.

In the Grey Library, if you get 1 or more reputation and fall back to 0 or lower, you can still enter it. I guess it shouldn't be that way and I guess this is true at further places where you need a specific amount of reputation. I think it wouldn't be all to bad to fix that.

Another thing you probably are aware off, Mage Armor doesn't stay when you load the game or enter new areas, same is for fire resistance potion and I bet all other potions (didn't test it)

Another bug that just came to my mind. Mage Barrier is buggy, often the enemies get hit by it 2 times in a row, you get damaged twice too! This means you can deal like 200 damage to enemies with bad shock resitance in like two seconds, but you can easily lose health... needs a fix too

I read this somewhere already, but I'll still post it. In narrow dungeones etc. the skills often won't work. This is especially true in "diagonal" ways

VDX_360

Staff member
1) Mage spell casting in tight areas is a known problem being reviewed. Per the Developer, the collision calculation the game makes in the back ground is the source of the failed, frizzled or missed spells. An update -might- see improvements to the system.

2) It takes positive rep to enter the grey library WITHOUT a fight. Fighting can get you inside (at a rep loss). More details are needed to determine what you mean by your report.

3) No buff, including Mage Armor, transfers between maps or loads. That's expected.

4) Mage Barrier is designed to hit enemies that hit you. They hit you twice, they get hit twice. So that seems to be working as designed. It's risky to use Mage Barrier as an offensive attack.

toopa

Translator
Let me rephrase my points a bit.

2) I just post my case. I started with -5. Then got them 2 books and raised my rep to +1, I was allowed to enter. Then I gave a book to the Loreseekers and my reputation with the Grey Library decreased to 0. This means I shouldn't have been able to enter, but I was (need +1 according to Wiki). This means the game only checks your rep once, and once you pessed the rep check it doesn't matter if you have -100 or 100 (it seems). If that's the case, then I wonder if that's true at further places. I guess it's not significant but it would make sense to get your access denied after ****ing up with a guild or person.

3) Okay, the only point this bothered me is that in Gorx Lair you can enter The Deep Cauldron. I used my shield and a fire resistance potion to minimize the damage, but once I entered the new area it was gone. Not only did I almost die, it's also stupid because the game kinda wants you to have high fire resistance there, boosted with buffs or potionts. Removing that buff when you enter the next area is trollish.

4) I meant it differently. If an enemy hits you, it recieves the damage from the shield once and its "attack cooldown" gets resetted or whatever and it attacks you again while being pushed back by the shield in the very same moment. So this means if an enemy attacks you once, it actually attacks you twice and also recieves damage twice from your shield. That's not true for all enemies and all encounters, so I also wonder if it has anything to do with elemental attacks etc. The thing where this gets really annoying is at dungeons, where enemies won't get pushed back (much). The way it should be: Enemy attacks you and gets pushed back and recieves shield damage once. You should only be attacked once too. If you still don't know what I mean I can make a screenshot. But I'm sure it's not intended that way, otherwise it would be stupid

Mod Note: Post edited to remove complete quote at start of post. To avoid keep the forum neat and order, don't just quote an entire post. Use the reply feature. Refer to Forum Rule #4.

VDX_360

Staff member
Thanks for the extra details.

There's been some concern that Mage Barrier is sometimes treating a multi-element hit as two different hits. A screen shot might be helpful to track down the source. I haven't been able to re-create it but I don't use Mage Barrier too much.

Gorx / Deep Cauldron map is the number one place people groan about buffs resetting at a new map. I *suggest* a sign to remind players of that point. Maybe near the connection to the Deep Cauldron.

Will look into the Grey Library issue. Every once in awhile there's a missed background check for quest options. They get fixed but slip back in sometimes. It might be limited to the mage class right now. Might.

toopa

Translator
VDX_360":bxzx0azx said:
There's been some concern that Mage Barrier is sometimes treating a multi-element hit as two different hits.
I just tested it a bit and even resetted my skill points for further tests. The results are interesting. Here the battle logs (without screen) and my thoughts. Also, I have no idea how the game deals with stun and in which order things are displayed in the battle log, but it was weird.

Case 1: Yeti
[Yeti attacked me once]
Yeti partially resists an effect (30%)
Yeti fails to resist an effect (30%)
Yeti is stunned (0 s.)

You hit Yeti, 40-28=12 (shock)
Yeti hits you, 20-7=13
Yeti hits you, 8-5=3 (cold)

In this case, the Yeti attacked me once. Interestingly the stun effects were checked before any damage was dealt, twice actually. That's because the barrier treats "normal" and "elemental" attacks as individual attacks.

This means the Yeti attacked me once, but as it has normal and elemental attack, the barrier got activated twice. Before anything happened, the game checked if the Yeti resited the stun chance from my barrier. It partially resisted the first one, but not the second time. It was stunned for 0 seconds - that's quite messy. Keep in mind that the stun probably lasts for 1 second and that it will be reduced to 0 if it partially resists, but the second "stun" got ignored. The chance for two stun-triggers in a row is 0.3*0.3, so 0.09 = 9%. The chance that the Yeti resists is another story, so I was quite lucky that this happened.
Case 2: Yeti 2.0
[Yeti attacked me once]
Yeti hits you, 22-18=4
Yeti partially resists an effect (30%)
Yeti fails to resist an effect (30%)
Yeti is stunned (0 s.)

Yeti hits you, 8-5=3 (cold)

This pretty much is the same case as before, just that the stun gets - for whatever reason - checked in-between. My question is what would happen if it fails to resist the first stun but succeeds to resist the second stun. Or if it fails both?
In case 3 + 4 I resetted my skills and had Mage Barrier LVL 1, so no chance for stun.

Case 3: Winter Bear
[Winter Bear attacked me three times]
You hit Winter Bear, 12-0=12 (shock)
Winter Bear hits you, 17-14=3
Winter Bear hits you, 6-4=2 (cold)
Winter Bear hits you, 21-17=4
Winter Bear hits you, 19-16=3

Here I let the winter bear attack me. I cornered it so the "push-back"-effect had no effect. The winter bear attacked me in a very short time. The above battle log took place in like a mere second
Case 4: Bear
[Bear attacked me six times]
You hit Bear, 12-0=12 (shock)
Bear hits you, 17-14=3
Bear hits you, 14-7=7
Bear hits you, 17-11=6
Bear hits you, 18-15=3
Bear hits you, 16-11=5
Bear hits you, 15-11=4

Here I cornered the bear but also tried it without cornering it. I just ran in the direction it was pushed back and it kept attacking me. This battle log took place in a mere second, just like in case 3.

I think the problem is that the barrier seems to reduce the cooldown of the enemy's attack to 0. If that wasn't the case, maybe it would work correctly. It should also treat "normal" + "elemental" attacks as one attack and not individually.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
As there's a new test update rolling, I'll look into this. elemental attacks are not supposed to affect or trigger the barrier.

toopa

Translator
DavidBVal":1c5gazzp said:
As there's a new test update rolling, I'll look into this. elemental attacks are not supposed to affect or trigger the barrier.
But what if you get attacked from a creature in close combat that only has elemental damage... like ghosts? Would that damage trigger the barrier?

Also, what about the cooldown behaviour that enemies can attack you instantly after they were hit by the barrier? Will you address that too?