[Bug] Temple of Blood: Can't cleanse fountains

Invector

I can't seem to cleanse the fountains and I have no idea why? I've done it twice with two other characters, but it isn't working this time. I approach the fountain and I get the four choices (leave, fill cup with blood, wash hands and face, and the "Intellect 3" choice---pouring in clean water), but neither pouring the water or drinking the blood has any effect on the fountain. After doing either I can approach the fountain again and the same choices are again offered. I tried the pouring water on all three thinking maybe I had to do them all before there was any effect (not what I remembered from the other times I've done it), but that didn't work either. Vampires were still invulnerable and when approaching the fountains the four choices were still there. And yes I've read the book that supposedly advances the quest. I even tried cleansing the fountains in different orders (don't remember having to do that before, but I figured what the heck), but that didn't work either.
What am I missing? Any ideas?

VDX_360

Staff member
See Call of the Blood on the Wiki.

Once you cleanse a fountain (either way) you should get a dialogue option stating the fountain is no longer appealing to vampires. Once the the third fountain is cleansed, you should get a dialogue option the evil mood has lifted. Vampires can be killed at that point.

If you are doing everything correctly, and yet still no progress:
1) Try leaving the map and forcing a map reload (load a quick save, save and quit the game, continue etc)
2) Try closing the game, restarting the device and re-loading the game.

It could be some really random map loading issue???

Invector

As far as I can determine, yes, I am doing everything correctly. If it's a map loading issue then I have no idea what else I can try. I've left the map, saved, returned, and found the same problem. I've loaded from other saves (from days ago), returned to the castle and still had the same problem. I've closed the game, restarted my device, etc. I've cleared the cache, saved several times in other areas, returned to the castle and still have the exact same problem. This is driving me nuts! I have no idea what else to try. Any ideas?

Invector

Hey David,
Can you offer any suggestions? I've tried everything I can think of and nothing works. No matter what I do I can't cleanse the fountains. I've put a whole lot of time into this character and I'd really like to continue on with Griss having some advanced skills. If you can think of something please help. Thanks

Invector

VDX,
You've always been helpful in the past, and I know you've offered several suggestions already, but I was wondering if you can think of anything else to try? Even a shot in the dark is worth more than I have right now. This problem is just driving me nuts!!
Also, is there any way to contact David directly or do I just have to hope he drops in sometime and sees my question. I really hate to start all over with a new character.

MikeB

Staff member
Loreseeker
Just for clarity:
Until you cleansed all three fountains (either by pouring clean water into them or gulping the stuff), nothing notable should change in the dialogue. So if you only interacted with one or two of them, you can still get the same dialogue options over and over again. So that's nothing unusual.

However, once you cleansed all three (the order doesn't matter), you should get a message "The fountain stops flowing blood [...]" and from this point onwards you shouldn't be able to do anything with them (just getting a message "The fountain is no longer flowing blood"). Do you get such a message? If not, then something is really wrong.

Just a few checks before bothering David with this issue:
  • Are you sure you cleansed all three fountains at the locations shown on the Wiki map? (Sorry, but I have to ask this just for completeness.)
  • Did you leave the map in between interacting with the three fountains? (This may reset the state of the fountains.)
This last question goes to the community:
Has anyone completed the quest with the latest update (1.3.1168) and everything went as intended? (Just to rule out a general coding error.)

Invector

MikeB, thanks for responding. Anything at this point is appreciated.
So let me update what has happened since I last wrote.

Just as sort of an experiment I have been working up two characters at pretty much the same time---a Rogue and a Cleric. I go up a level with one and the switch over until I take that one up a level. I complete a quest with one and then try to complete the same quest with the other. It’s been kind of fun seeing which one works better in the same situation.
Anyway….. It was my Cleric that I was having problems with trying to cleanse the fountains. So just as an experiment I went back to my Rogue, grabbed Griss, and headed to Castle Storme.
The result…no problems at all. I was able to cleanse all three fountains without incident.
So I went back to my Cleric and I still can’t cleanse the damn fountains.
In answer to your question---yes, I’m sure I’ve done all three. In fact I tried doing all three using the water pouring option, and then I turned around and tried all three using the blood drinking option, and I still failed
In answer to your second question---no, I never left the map.

This whole thing is freaking annoying, but I’ve decided I don’t want to bother David with it until I try something else. I’ve been looking at old saves and I found one that should put me back to before I met the messenger which started the quest. (I met him rather late in the game, so I won’t have to drop too many levels.)
I know it’s a long shot, but what the heck. I’ll give it a try and see what happens. Since I was able to finish the quest with my Rogue, it’s obviously just a problem with my Cleric character, and maybe something odd happened after I began the quest. I’ll let you know how it turns out.
Thanks again for responding.

VDX_360

Staff member
Thanks for reporting and the extra details!

It's important to sort out game breaking bugs. Any questions being asked stem from basic troubleshooting process. Details help in ascertaining the cause.

For tracking purposes, I'm editing this thread title to a more specific title to make it easier for players with this exact issue to find this thread.

VDX_360

Staff member
Because the fountains are working for the other characters on the same device, it might be a weird issue with the character save. Maybe swapping between characters on the same area accidently transferred map data from one character to the other character.... but that seems unlikely???

The fountain data should be stored on the character save file for that map area. If one was really familiar with the code and etc, one could look at the .bak file to see what status the fountains are in but that might require more eye-squinting than I can do right now.

It's the first time I've heard of this type of bug. Other fountain issues were solved by players realizing they were doing something in error. So this is an unique bug.

I really don't know.