Boat trips are mostly pointless

Atlas1095

I have been playing this game quite a bit, and it seems to me that most of the boat trip options are pointless. Your character does not heal on the trip and they take much longer in game time than traveling by land. It makes much more sense to travel by land, kill enemies on the way, and gain XP and loot in the process. The only boat trips that make sense are ones needed to get to a particular area on the map. I think the boat trips should be modified so that your character heals on them. This would add some strategic value to them.

Xen

Loreseeker
@Atlas1095 it's not pointless, it's a thing called, "option". Imagine if you forgot to buy a scroll and you're stuck in an area far from where you want to go next and you're lazy to travel by foot then boat is the remaining option for you. I can agree with you thinking it's pointless because that was your own opinion(personally I don't use those boat and ship trips) but it doesn't prove as universal fact that it's pointless.

VDX_360

Staff member
.... I think the boat trips should be modified so that your character heals on them. This would add some strategic value to them.

That's a very worthy idea. Not sure how the coding would work given the Rest = Saving nature of the game.

Boat trips became less useful over the course of the game's design. The in-game time passage is quite long so it can hurt time constraints for time sensitive Town Hall Quests. The cost of boat fare is less appealing. Walking can be much quicker for in-game time. The introduction of Recall and Teleport abilities and scrolls even further undermines boat trips.

I'd mark boat trips on one of things in the game that when initially implemented had a very different impact on the game than they did by version 1.3-ish.

But most boat trips aren't mandatory so you can just skip them if you don't like them.

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
Yeah they are pointless. They are also an option. The two are not mutually exclusive. They are a useless option providing no discernable benefit. As VDX says a legacy of a build so different it was a different game.

Their costs could be cut by 90% and they'd still barely be worth it.

Vitas

I have been playing this game quite a bit, and it seems to me that most of the boat trip options are pointless. Your character does not heal on the trip and they take much longer in game time than traveling by land. It makes much more sense to travel by land, kill enemies on the way, and gain XP and loot in the process. The only boat trips that make sense are ones needed to get to a particular area on the map. I think the boat trips should be modified so that your character heals on them. This would add some strategic value to them.
I think boat trips add a certain amount of strategy to the game, but it require you to know exactly all the boat trips available, their price and their destination. It's like some kind of less expensive but also less convenient teleportation. I sometimes use them.

Walking between cities for the purpose of random encounters is ok but not that efficient. If you want guaranteed random encounters, you can walk between Nivarian and Rhoneis, back and forth. There are 2 encounters guaranteed on that road ( need to sleep 12 h in the city to refresh the encounters though)

Wrenn

But the trip down the caost from Soliga to new anthur is So exiting and Beautiful. And so worth 250gp. Theres only one capt i float with.