Best place to grind for gold?

0rion79

Hi, I am keen on undertaking the last challenge in the Nivarian temple, where the altar demands you for 250.000 gold to earn the last vision.

Now the question is: where the hell I am supposed to go to earn money? The best location?
So far, it looks like the mausoleum nearby Kingsbridge and/or the mercian royal crypt since I usually leave with a full backpack staffed with shields and ice shortswords, each paid 200 gold so at least 3.200 gold per run. Yet it would mean almost 80 runs across the maze to collect the desired sum!

Other mazes, e.g. the jungle one with the gorillas are not that good because they drop items less frequently (although small emeralds are amazing), or St. Admus abbey is a hard "dungeon" even at high levels, enemies do not drop great rewards and is not convenient in terms of efforts/rewards.

Your choice?

Cuckoorex

I've been grinding it out at the Mercian Royal Crypt a lot, too; I have the same experience, always a full backpack of premium items to sell. I haven't checked out the Mausoleum for a while, maybe I'll pay a visit soon and see what kind of drops I can get there.

the mez

try to go to the maze of lamith(the minotaur dungeon) it gives pretty decent loot and really easy to run...
or bluerock castle

VDX_360

Staff member
The 100K and 250k amounts were likely added in response to frequently requests for something to do with the spare gold a lot of players had. It's not supposed to be easy to get those amounts.

Also, per the Developer, Version 1.0 of the game (which isn't done yet) will be designed for about a Level 20 Character, which will correlate to less gold than some players have stockpiled as they increased in levels past 20.

0rion79

In fact it is not: even selling all of the stuff that I have gathered so far, I cannot even reach half of the required sum for the last vision.

Yet what you say about version 1.0 are very bad news indeed.

Look, I know that the will is to make the game balanced but, first of everything, the game MUST BE FUNNY and I like to be able to complete every quest at a reasonable investment of time and effort.
Difficulty levels exist to provide a greater challenge to players who want it.

So, reducing even further the available gold in the game won't make it funnier, just more repetitive because grinding is boring. Period.

To complete the topic, consider that money in Exiled Kingdoms is a real issue: on one hand it is never enough to buy vault slots and houses, while a lot goes away in blessings, teleport, transportation and specific potions. Imho too much of the best gear is found as a reward for a quest or as part of a dungeon and in fact I almost never buy weapons or armors in shops because I don't need to. So a different wealth distribution should be considered, not a reduction. But we are going off topic here...

waclawczernobyl

Some time ago Tordak Q made pretty detailed descriptions of best grinding sites in the game, you can check it out if you haven't :
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9966
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9983
There was also one about bluerock castle, but i couldn't find.
Anyhow, after lvl 16 i was mostly grinding at abbey; one run (with hellish part included) gives you 6000+ gold. Another good place is bluerock, one run gives you 5000 or more gold, and it's easier than the abbey

VDX_360

Staff member
0rion79":39yonelu said:
... first of everything, the game MUST BE FUNNY
I strongly disagree. Fun, yes. Funny? No.

As for the rest of your post: gold is tight early in the game, but by the time the player reaches mid-levels (say somewhere between Level 10 to 15), a player starts to have a surplus of gold, even buying potions by the stock pile. Each build and playing style reaches the gold saturation point differently but still reaches it.

My current play through, a Level 21 Warrior on Hard mode, had enough gold to buy all but the last level of the Church donation, both houses, an insane amount of surplus potions and scrolls and all the high end weapons for sell.

So yeah, if you are hurting for gold to the point you can't even buy an emergency potion or a spare Scroll of Recall, the game may have an issue. And if that's the case, let us know in detail so we can find the problem. But if you're complaint is that you couldn't INSTANTLY buy the ultra-expensive optional side bit, than I'm not sure your complaint is reasonable.

Keep in mind, houses and the Church bit aren't required, they're optional. And all the gear that can be bought (save the Ankh), can be found as loot or a quest reward so buying gear is really optional too.

VDX_360

Staff member
0rion79":2dfjcfus said:
... grinding is boring. Period....
In your humble OPINION, yes. But nothing about that statement is an objective fact. Try to keep in mind a game designed for a broad spectrum of players will have parts that not everyone will like, or should like. Simply can't please everyone.
For example, a common request on this forum was a purpose for players with lots of surplus gold. The response, so it seems, was one more house, and a very deep hole to throw in gold, i.e. the Wisdom from the Church.

If you don't have the gold to spare, don't spend it on optional items designed for those that do have too much gold.

0rion79

About the fun vs. funny, I'm sorry but I don't understand you: maybe it is a limit since I am not a native English speaker. I mean that the game must be entertaining, a pleasure to play, not a too harsh challenge. If you understand funny as silly or comic, that is not what I meant.

About money, I am more or less in your same situation: it is not that in the game I am rich and I can afford everything that I want, yet I could afford all of the first visions and I had to grind some more to achieve the one worthy of 100.000 gold.
Now for the last one I AM NOT COMPLAINING, I am just asking if there is a better place to make gold faster. Also why do you claim that the church visions and the houses are NOT optional?

Anyway, what I report is different than providing a feedback about the imho bad distribution of gold and rewards in the game since for the reasons already stated above, where the main one is that too much of the best equipment is not found at shops.

Last but not least, we could spend hours debating about the what is factual and what is a personal opinion but let me tell you this once more: GRINDING IS BORING. It is a fact of life that anything done repeatedly will eventually grow boring no matter what, then there is a subjective response where different persons may take more time or less time to get tired with it.

So, I repeat this concept because - and here I agree that it is subjective - I like running through a dungeon a limited number of times for grinding, I will enjoy even more if I can enter new areas that were forbidden before etc, but running through the same maze just to clean it and repeat the process 80 times is boring. PERIOD.

And please stop using this story that the game has been developed for a wide audience to shut up people when they express their opinion. I am the audience, you are the audience, we are and are all part of it - we are not detached from it.
Even more, since most of us are cooperating as testers, it is important to support the game development with feedbacks like this. Keep this in mind.

VDX_360

Staff member
I made a typing error in saying the Church bit was "not optional". Corrected.

Currently I'm trying to grind to get a Level 30 Character. It will take awhile. But the gold is building up. I run a few dungeons. Check for Rumor Bosses (kill them if needed). Return to process. Takes awhile. Takes a long while. Plus side is I have enough gold to buy off the Baron of Storme.

As for your English, you're doing amazing as a non-native speaker so kudos on multi-language skills.