Best Armor Set?

VDX_360

Staff member
The Wiki lists all equipment in the game.

What counts as "best" in the game depends a lot on build, playing style current situation and where you are in the game.

Atomos

Tolassian Chain armors are pretty attractive mid game option. You'll probably want to mix in some unique or good blessed plate pieces as those come along. Holy Helm, Lionskin Cuirass, and Blessed Plate Leggings are available in fixed locations.

VDX_360

Staff member
The Wiki lists all equipment in the game.

What counts as "best" in the game depends a lot on build, playing style current situation and where you are in the game.

You might noticed I repeated my answer to your repeated question.

Atomos

@VDX_360 it won't hurt anyone to post a proposition ;).
My proposition for mid level is:
Helm:
Gauntlets:
Get into the Grey Library peacefully asap. A single necromantic book is enough to seal the deal 🤝
Body armor :
Boots:
These are rare, but good if you stumble upon them
All time classic for special missions
Hipster classic for special missions
Leggings:
Getting good leggings on mid levels is freaking tough, look for these:
If you're unlucky and/or don't want to farm, then these are good:

VDX_360

Staff member
For clarity, I'm not trying to brush off a common question so much as I trying to be consistent that context matters.

The Explorer Gauntlets are a great example of the issue. They are hands down one of the best hand pieces in the game, and with luck or out of game knowledge, can be gotten fairly early in the game. Warriors, and Rogues rejoice!

But mages, and clerics can't equip them. And 2-H warriors might prefer something else (not recommended, but plausible).

As for weapons, the troll rule is obvious --- fire is best as nothing else can kill a troll. So is elemental weakness / resistence of enimies.

But there are more subtle details in the game mechanics.

Cleave: Elemental damage hits all enemies with full force, while physical damage is reduced.
Critical: Physicals damage is improved, not elemental damage (unless using a pure elemental staff).
Charge / Whirlwind / Flank / Fury: Physical damage is improved, not elemental damage.

So if you're playing a 2-H combat beast heavily using Charge and Whirlwind, you might want to use pure physical weapons over similar DPS weapons that have extra elemental damage.

So rather than trying to comment all the possible circumstances that could play a role in an assessment of what is "best" it seems simpler to just state context matters a lot.

Because the game is open world, even a new player without out-of-game knowledge can stumble across a wide range of possible equipment in the game. In addition, lucky drops (e.g. golem's fist) can really change things, too.

Atomos

The Explorer Gauntlets are a great example of the issue. They are hands down one of the best hand pieces in the game, and with luck or out of game knowledge, can be gotten fairly early in the game.
Good point! Threads like this one are good for sharing out of game knowledge. Experienced players can show what gear is good to have, and browsing hundreds of wiki pages isn't necessary. Wiki is awesome, but still time consuming :s

VDX_360

Staff member
I prefer the first few play throughs of a game to be spoiler and Wiki free. I feel like using either ruins a game's fist-time experience.

Trolls aren't that scary if you know you'll need fire. But, first time they were added to the game, oh yeah, players felt the fear.

The game has lots of little twists or surprises that add a lot of enjoyment to the game.