Being a mage sucks or is it just me?

Anon

I started this game as a warrior before but i accidentally sold out silvery mace so i decided to restart it and i chose mage this time overall i like this character but her damage is not powerful and her defense too even though i have level 14 now if my companion dies my players dies right after him/her and also i think there aren't many armor and weapon options for mage if i am wrong so guide me maybe i'll be able to build my character better?

Duck123

Loreseeker
It is normal to have low defense but you should be doing quite a lot of damage. Mages are known for being glass cannons. If you post your build here we can help

Anon

I am unable to capture screenshot, but here are the details
STR 3
END 5
AGI 1
INT 4
AWA 1
PER 2
I was using 2 weapons the first one is Batrax wand and the second one drains a lot of Mana but that has better damage than the Batrax Wand
I just leveled up to 14 and i have trait points available just not sure how to make her damage more, and another question which skills i should learn from the guilds? and as a mage which guild should i join?
It is normal to have low defense but you should be doing quite a lot of damage. Mages are known for being glass cannons. If you post your build here we can help
Post automatically merged:    

Because the last game i played was Diablo 2 for the 30-31st time and all i thought was that "Strength increases damage" so i was focusing on strength but now i know it doesn't work that way here🙃

Last edited:

VDX_360

Staff member
At high-levels, the mage class becomes the most powerful build in the game. That end-game power comes at the cost of being very weak in the early game and difficult to balance. Players often find their mages have a huge advantage in an area, or really struggling.

The skills of a mage, mostly spell bases, also take a bit to learn how to use in combat to the best effect. For example, learning how to bounce Ice Storm off walls can result in repeated high-damage hits on a monster. Or, you just can miss completly and wondering where your mana went.

There's no reason to have any investment in STR as a mage in the early, or mid-game. (And very, very little reason in the end-game).

As a mage, you should ONLY join the mage guild. Unless you are tring to do a purposefully handicapped run through the game, you'll find no benefit to the other guilds.

IF--and that's a big if-- you are still learning the game, I -might- suggest you start as a Cleric, with the following mile-stones. Get Heal, Crusader's, at least one point in Intervention, 1 point in Might, (Might is very powerful in early game, with little mana cost), join the Warrior's Guild for Duel. Later invest in Heavy Hand. Flush out other skills as you desire (including opting for more intervention, etc).

Invest in STR till Level 4 (for heavy hand), invest in PERS and INT for some mana). Maybe get AWA 2, END 2 for durability.

Between heal and intervention, you'll have a lot of health to use. With Duel and Heavy Hand you'll damage to balance out the Cleric's limited weapon choice. You can swap between shields and 2-H weapons as needed (I prefer shield with 1 hand).

That build might be the most forgiving in terms of tweaking exact builds. It will give you a lot of options in quest choices (PERS and INT will open up dialogue choices). And will give some experience in figuring out game mechanics.

Anon

Thank yous so much for guiding this was really helpful ❤️
At high-levels, the mage class becomes the most powerful build in the game. That end-game power comes at the cost of being very weak in the early game and difficult to balance. Players often find their mages have a huge advantage in an area, or really struggling.

The skills of a mage, mostly spell bases, also take a bit to learn how to use in combat to the best effect. For example, learning how to bounce Ice Storm off walls can result in repeated high-damage hits on a monster. Or, you just can miss completly and wondering where your mana went.

There's no reason to have any investment in STR as a mage in the early, or mid-game. (And very, very little reason in the end-game).

As a mage, you should ONLY join the mage guild. Unless you are tring to do a purposefully handicapped run through the game, you'll find no benefit to the other guilds.

IF--and that's a big if-- you are still learning the game, I -might- suggest you start as a Cleric, with the following mile-stones. Get Heal, Crusader's, at least one point in Intervention, 1 point in Might, (Might is very powerful in early game, with little mana cost), join the Warrior's Guild for Duel. Later invest in Heavy Hand. Flush out other skills as you desire (including opting for more intervention, etc).

Invest in STR till Level 4 (for heavy hand), invest in PERS and INT for some mana). Maybe get AWA 2, END 2 for durability.

Between heal and intervention, you'll have a lot of health to use. With Duel and Heavy Hand you'll damage to balance out the Cleric's limited weapon choice. You can swap between shields and 2-H weapons as needed (I prefer shield with 1 hand).

That build might be the most forgiving in terms of tweaking exact builds. It will give you a lot of options in quest choices (PERS and INT will open up dialogue choices). And will give some experience in figuring out game mechanics.

xmppwokki

Mage does not suppose to hold a punch. He has companion or golem for this purpose. While he casts blizzard and uses wand to make high damage.

Ar this point you should have better wand.
Use wiki to find better available aquipment and calculate your stats.

ligthingzaix

If you're level 14 you can easily respec into a summoner. Once i managed to join the wizard's guild and get the summon golem skill i can easily farm dungeons and quests 2-3 levels higher than me. Mage's early game is probably the hardest but once you enter the 10-20 range it's actually the easiest class to reach end game.

Anon

If you're level 14 you can easily respec into a summoner. Once i managed to join the wizard's guild and get the summon golem skill i can easily farm dungeons and quests 2-3 levels higher than me. Mage's early game is probably the hardest but once you enter the 10-20 range it's actually the easiest class to reach end game.
I got it thank you :)
Post automatically merged:    

Mage does not suppose to hold a punch. He has companion or golem for this purpose. While he casts blizzard and uses wand to make high damage.

Ar this point you should have better wand.
Use wiki to find better available aquipment and calculate your stats.
Actually i untrained her and this time i spent most of my trait points on Endurance and Agility and now it is working way better than before, I will keep these points in mind too, Thanks a lot

VDX_360

Staff member
There are many ways to play, so if you're having fun and progressing in the game, than awesome.

It's a little odd to see a Mage build with a heavy investment in Endurance and Agility. Are you using wands, or staves?

Keep us posted how this build fares.

A character doesn't have to make sense if it's fun.

Anon

Yes, I found a wand in the arena in Freetown, the build is good so far she's dying less doing more damage let's see how it goes, I love this game and I'm gonna play it with every type next i will choose Cleric, then warrior and then rogue 😂😂