Battle strategies/tips

Taurossilva

Thought I'd share some strategies/tips that I've come up with on fighting in dungeons.
(Disclaimer: these are not all 100% effective, but they do help)

1)Doorways and narrow corridors/bridges can be your best ally in battle. Why? Because they can limit the number of opponents that can engage you, therefore ypu won't be surrounded. I often get them to chase me then I'll go through the door, turn around and then start fighting. Against archers, I turn right and try to position myself just past the doorway so they can't all get at me.

2) If you find that you are not strong enough to take on certain enemies, but don't want to wait until you get to higher level or can't afford better equipment, invest in potions that enhance your strength. They can sometimes give you enough of an edge to beat a tough opponent. Don't dump all your money into them, just buy a couple or however many you need to get you through the dungeon.

3)In addition to getting enemies to chase you through a doorway, you're can also ask your companion to wait just beyond said doorway or someplace out of sight and set a trap of sorts. Get it one or two enemies to chase you, then once you've passed out our companion, they can attck and possibly flank the enemy. This can help reduce your enemies to a more manageable number and keep your companion from dying often, since they have a tendency to stand and fight even when you are trying to run away.

4)Invest in some summon scrolls. These a e helpful in acouple of ways. Either:
a) to give you an extra backup in a fight,
b)distract the enemy enough to let you run away.
Wolf scrolls are the cheapest to buy and they are also a relatively common drop in dungeons. Unless you are a cleric, avoid any scrolls that require mana to cast because you will need an advanced skill to cast them at a cost to your HP. Mindyou, youcan get Hirge to cast those for you, so long as she meets the intelligence requirement.

Side note: in the Crimson Hills tower when you go there to do the Lost coven quest, many people here and in the wiki keep saying that is super easy and simple. It's not really simple to get past the monsters in there. But there is an "easier" way to beat them than going toe to toe with them:
Before you even go inside, be sure to have potions of resist toxic and resist shock or have a high enough resistance to both.
Once you enter the tower, go to the room on your left and open the gate to the toxic fumes "cage". There is a corpse and chest you can loot inside. Tell your companion to wait for you before you go looting so that they don't take any damage. After looting, go into one of the other rooms and get the monsters to chase you into/through the toxic fumes. The Sparkys will sit in there shooting lightning at you, while taking damage. Depending on their position, you can avoid the lightning by going into one of the far corners beyond the cage. The Earth Elementals will chase you through the gas chamber, so yzou need to go through it several times before they die. Fortunately Earth Elementals are weak to toxic damage. Keep doing the s until there are no more enemies in the tower, then go grab to book and any other loot. Hopefully you have enough restores and potions to survive this. Use a scroll to leave.

That's all I got, anyone have anything else, please feel free to add.

Sounkeng

Taurossilva":16eb1tkr said:
Thought I'd share some strategies/tips that I've come up with on fighting in dungeons.
(Disclaimer: these are not all 100% effective, but they do help)

1)Doorways and narrow corridors/bridges can be your best ally in battle. Why? Because they can limit the number of opponents that can engage you, therefore ypu won't be surrounded. I often get them to chase me then I'll go through the door, turn around and then start fighting. Against archers, I turn right and try to position myself just past the doorway so they can't all get at me.

2) If you find that you are not strong enough to take on certain enemies, but don't want to wait until you get to higher level or can't afford better equipment, invest in potions that enhance your strength. They can sometimes give you enough of an edge to beat a tough opponent. Don't dump all your money into them, just buy a couple or however many you need to get you through the dungeon.

3)In addition to getting enemies to chase you through a doorway, you're can also ask your companion to wait just beyond said doorway or someplace out of sight and set a trap of sorts. Get it one or two enemies to chase you, then once you've passed out our companion, they can attck and possibly flank the enemy. This can help reduce your enemies to a more manageable number and keep your companion from dying often, since they have a tendency to stand and fight even when you are trying to run away.

4)Invest in some summon scrolls. These a e helpful in acouple of ways. Either:
a) to give you an extra backup in a fight,
b)distract the enemy enough to let you run away.
Wolf scrolls are the cheapest to buy and they are also a relatively common drop in dungeons. Unless you are a cleric, avoid any scrolls that require mana to cast because you will need an advanced skill to cast them at a cost to your HP. Mindyou, youcan get Hirge to cast those for you, so long as she meets the intelligence requirement.

Side note: in the Crimson Hills tower when you go there to do the Lost coven quest, many people here and in the wiki keep saying that is super easy and simple. It's not really simple to get past the monsters in there. But there is an "easier" way to beat them than going toe to toe with them:
Before you even go inside, be sure to have potions of resist toxic and resist shock or have a high enough resistance to both.
Once you enter the tower, go to the room on your left and open the gate to the toxic fumes "cage". There is a corpse and chest you can loot inside. Tell your companion to wait for you before you go looting so that they don't take any damage. After looting, go into one of the other rooms and get the monsters to chase you into/through the toxic fumes. The Sparkys will sit in there shooting lightning at you, while taking damage. Depending on their position, you can avoid the lightning by going into one of the far corners beyond the cage. The Earth Elementals will chase you through the gas chamber, so yzou need to go through it several times before they die. Fortunately Earth Elementals are weak to toxic damage. Keep doing the s until there are no more enemies in the tower, then go grab to book and any other loot. Hopefully you have enough restores and potions to survive this. Use a scroll to leave.

That's all I got, anyone have anything else, please feel free to add.

I' have been using this Crimson Hills tower trick from my first time through... It makes the tower pretty easy and I have been able to clear it at level 9 or so with all my characters.

Don Desini

Loreseeker
I like to use an in line combo format. I arrange my active skills,from bottom to top. I can go right up the line as I'm headed into battle,activating my skills as I go. As a Rogue,my order is stealth,stab,evasion. This has proven very effective for me. Assasinate (passive)offers a good chance for repeated stabs in battle with its instant cool down.

Play around with your skill slots. See what order works best for you and your character.

Taurossilva

Don Desini":3l9zvowi said:
I like to use an in line combo format. I arrange my active skills,from bottom to top. I can go right up the line as I'm headed into battle,activating my skills as I go. As a Rogue,my order is srealth,stab,evasion. This has proven very effective for me. Assasinate (passive)offers a good chance for repeated stabs in battle with its instant cool down.

Play around with your skill slots. See what order works best for you and your character.
Good advice. Ill have to try that sometime.

Something else I may have neglected to mention:
Every town and/or settlement has a guard. If you are just outside of a town and run into an enemey or group of enemies you can't easily handle, go towards the guard and they will help you fight.