Basic builds & gameplay tips

MageKnight

Guys why u arent using shields on mages, no need for Fire orb with Red skin shield, plus much more durability vs physical dmg.
Im saying that shields are must have for any mage build with magic armor.

Kakost

Guys why u arent using shields on mages, no need for Fire orb with Red skin shield, plus much more durability vs physical dmg.
Im saying that shields are must have for any mage build with magic armor.
Mages cant use shields, just bucklers. As far as I remember, the only red bucklers mages can have are the one dropped by the Goblin King or the one you can crap from red drakes scales from the quest "Tipping the Scales".

And I dont remember any other buckler from other elements. That's why Orbs are a viable option.

MageKnight

Mages cant use shields, just bucklers. As far as I remember, the only red bucklers mages can have are the one dropped by the Goblin King or the one you can crap from red drakes scales from the quest "Tipping the Scales".

And I dont remember any other buckler from other elements. That's why Orbs are a viable option.
Wisdom_of_the_Seas
Petrified_Wood_Buckler
one is just selling in Friguld
Sailor_Buckler
Sure orbs is viable, but vs physical dmg they suck, at the other hand shields giving u more guaranteed blocked dmg

Kakost

Wisdom_of_the_Seas
Petrified_Wood_Buckler
one is just selling in Friguld
Sailor_Buckler
Sure orbs is viable, but vs physical dmg they suck, at the other hand shields giving u more guaranteed blocked dmg
Yes, that is true. I had forgot about those.

Yes, those are all good and helpful choices, and indeed bucklers are best for mages against big physical atrackers.

What I meant is that the choice between bucklers and orbs aint a either/or choice, where you should pick one over the other, but rather that you should carefully pick whichever is best for the situation. Bucklers will do better against heavy physical damage, and orbs are for situational elemental defense.

I only exclusively use Staves anyway, so it's not something I worry... Except for the Arcane Knights. In the case of those shinning boys, it is indeed an important discussion, I fully agree with you in that one.

Still, some people do like to use wands, so that's a good advice for them.

Do the builds write-ups for mages and AK recommend orbs only? I think I missed that.

Neponde

Do the builds write-ups for mages and AK recommend orbs only?

With rare and notable exceptions, I avoided commenting on equipment specifics anywhere.

Guys why u arent using shields on mages
Some players prefer bucklers for a more defensive option, some prefer orbs for for more mana / more broad resistances. Some players (most actually) prefer staff with mage, for the higher damage output, especially late game.

It all comes down to playstyle. Rarely is one "objectively" better than another.

PierreJGrobbelaar

You missed 1 of the topics. How to run Like hell when a Boss chases you. I Basically wrote the book on the topic. I'll rather be Scared John than Dead John.

Jokes aside. I prefer to play unconventional combo's. Not sure what the limit is in exiled kingdoms. I played games where my warrior was a caster or my mage was a tank. I even had a ranger that was 2handed melee. Well Ranger melee can actually be potent in some games when they have attack speed buff. Imagine swinging a hammer that moves at high aps :D.

Neponde

You missed 1 of the topics. How to run Like hell when a Boss chases you.
Especially important on ironman!
I prefer to play unconventional combo's. Not sure what the limit is in exiled kingdoms.
Not really any limit, as long as "fun" is your primary goal (as it should be!). As stated multiple times, these are basic, tried and true build skeletons that are proven effective. There have been many, many threads over the years asking, "How do I build a _______?", and the hope here was to help all those players.

Kakost

You missed 1 of the topics. How to run Like hell when a Boss chases you. I Basically wrote the book on the topic. I'll rather be Scared John than Dead John.

Jokes aside. I prefer to play unconventional combo's. Not sure what the limit is in exiled kingdoms. I played games where my warrior was a caster or my mage was a tank. I even had a ranger that was 2handed melee. Well Ranger melee can actually be potent in some games when they have attack speed buff. Imagine swinging a hammer that moves at high aps :D.
Try the Mage Barrier build. Im dying to do it.

In fact, I think I'll retire my 21 Cleric for now and do it. I'll try Mage Barrier for a while before resetting to Death Knight

Apocalypse

Loreseeker
@PierreJGrobbelaar and @Kakost Hi guys! How are you doing? :)

I have played Mages as TANKS! All the time, actually loll. And it's the most powerful style I've ever played.

The secret is the Mage Barrier. It's so powerful, it's the skill that can deal the most damage in the game the fastest, by far. 240 shock damage total for a few MPs, and with the "rapid bouncing" effect, the total damage can be dealt in an instant. If you have an Iron Golem and Body Development, as long as your Mage Barrier is active, you can charge at any swarm of monsters like a berserker!

I'm curious, Pierre, how did you play a warrior as a caster? Did you do an "Arcane Training" suicide-summoner? Loll
Post automatically merged:    

@Neponde Hi old friend! It's been a while I've been on the forum. I love what you've done! It's awesome!!!! And the layout is beautiful! :D

Now I might have to start playing again loll

Last edited:

Kakost

@PierreJGrobbelaar and @Kakost Hi guys! How are you doing? :)

I have played Mages as TANKS! All the time, actually loll. And it's the most powerful style I've ever played.

The secret is the Mage Barrier. It's so powerful, it's the skill that can deal the most damage in the game the fastest, by far. 240 shock damage total for a few MPs, and with the "rapid bouncing" effect, the total damage can be dealt in an instant. If you have an Iron Golem and Body Development, as long as your Mage Barrier is active, you can charge at any swarm of monsters like a berserker!

I'm curious, Pierre, how did you play a warrior as a caster? Did you do an "Arcane Training" suicide-summoner? Loll
Post automatically merged:    

@Neponde Hi old friend! It's been a while I've been on the forum. I love what you've done! It's awesome!!!! And the layout is beautiful! :D

Now I might have to start playing again loll
Hello brother!

Im definitely going to try that one out! After my insanely successful Cleric Summoner, Im eager to try the "Radioactive Wizard"...

...if I ever have some time ever again in my life.