Balance after 0.5.802

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Hello folks, even if this is an alpha specific topic, I put it here for greater visibility.

I introduced a big change in the last build, namely character traits (or Stats if you prefer). This pretty much influences everything in the game, from doing damage, to HP increase, to chance of detecting a trap, so there is a big possibility that there's big balance issues.

In short: previously, you gained some automatic bonuses at leveling, based on your class. Damage bonus, HP per level, everything was automatic. From now on, you will customize what you want to improve. You'll get 2 Trait Points upon leveling up, which you can invest in Strenght, Endurance, Agility, Intellect, Awareness and Personality. Traits cost more as you improve them (1st point costs 1, 2nd point costs 2, etc.)

Also, skills are being completely revamped. The skills that merely increased damage/HP/armor have been removed, as this is now achieved through trait increases. Kick is now a Rogue skill, and many new skills are being added. Warriors will get a Charge skill, allowing them to cross through enemies doing serious damage. rogues will be able to set traps. And much more.

Please report here any inconsistencies, problems, or mere feedback related to this. It is very likely that some levels are now extremely unbalanced, either too easy or too hard. But I can't know without your help. Thanks in advance!

Positron68

I started all over with a warrior, seems to be balanced for me. Maybe a bit easier in the beginning that it was before, but that could just be that I know how to play now.

You need to add more content, if you want testers to play it through again...

must_rise

rolled a rogue and I can confirm: the beginning is too easy now, didn't even die once and I reached level 4.

Bring back the hell!

TimothySach

I'll start all over when you add more to the main story :p

j/k, I started again with Warrior and... yep, feels much easier. Charge is a fun skill, too.

I like the new traits and skills and all. Good job man.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
In .808 there'll be a decrease in base HP, I think that should fix it.

Rogues in particular will have considerably less hp, but extra damage.

KimPera

I don't know if you're still looking for balance feedback, but here's my 2c since I started all over with a rogue.

I reached level 5, and got Agi 3, End 1, Awa 1. Skills Stab 2, traps 1, stealth 1, dungeoneering 1.

Balance has felt perfect until now and the new skills are great. It's real fun to set traps for enemies, then stab them, if you do it right, enemies don't hurt you very much. However, as you have not as many HP as before, when you make a mistake or get several enemies, it is a real challenge.I die sometimes, but I get the feeling it was my fault most of the times. So, great improvements there!

One thing that is not working well atm is the companion. I use Grissenda, and she kind of ruins my stealthy tactics by rushing into enemies in sight. We need a few options to control them, put them on hold, etc.

Aside from companion behavior, it is fun, good job.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
KimPera":180ssrs5 said:
I don't know if you're still looking for balance feedback, but here's my 2c since I started all over with a rogue.

Yes, feedback about difficulty is still needed. Everyone that is testing recently, please tell me how easy-hard are feeling the different areas and character levels

Thanks, I am glad you like the new skills. Next update completes the rogue skills.

Tyrondos

I am playing a level 6 Warrior (Charge 2, Shield Expert 2, Whirlwind 1) and I'd say the game difficulty is fine, but it becomes harder when you level up, sometimes. Elite Bandits do a lot of damage, Goblin Firedancers and Sergeants too.

Quests are a bit difficult to solve... current ly I have 3 quests which I have no idea where to go. I need to get minotaur horns, I need to find the ryhander medallion, and I need to find someone who wrote a message in a bottle, but I don't think there are any clues that lead to them.

Also... please those white wolves... they shouldn't be spawning so much, they really hurt.

A major issue I've found is, I have no idea what to do with money. I have like, 3K. Armor is expensive, and I get the feeling I could spend a lot of gold on it, when I could just get it dropped or quested. And I can't find other uses for it.

EDIT: just to clarify, after reading my own message. This game rocks, just pointing at some rough edges.