Any early/mid game guides, builds, strategies?

Shandor

I've only ever played ironman. That's how I like RPGs. If my character dies, he's dead. I got to lvl 11 Warrior and lvl 10 Archer max. I find mage too hard and cleric a bit boring.

I have a few questions:

1. Are there guides that show progressions, not final build?"? Child of Faith is a good example. Elementalist Mage on wiki is another good one. Anything for rogue/warrior?

1.1 More specifically I'd be interested in order of levelling advanced skills. Bring them all up equally, or max one, then go to the next?

2. Is there a way to deal with traps on ironman? Seems like the only solution is having played the game before and knowing where they are. No counterplay at all.

3. I like to put points into PER and INT. What is the minimum amount I can put in these to unlock dialogue options but not weaken my combat too much? I put 2 in both. Do I need 3?

I will definitely make my own guide when I'm qualified(i.e. finished Ironman). 60% of my deaths so far come from traps/unforeseen enemies(
royal crypt trap, jabal grotto trap
), the rest 40% greeding to push further/without pots. Any way to foresee/prepare for these traps without spoiling the game?

Thanks for reading and answering!

VDX_360

Staff member
I would encourage you to play on Hard. It's the same as Ironman just without perma-death.

There's been a few effort to make level-by-level guides for various builds. The challenge is that there are so many different ways to play the game, that a lot if left up to player choice.

Some skills are worth maxing out as fast as possible, but most require weighing against other skills. This depends on player build, and current needs, of course. So really hard to give a concise answer without more details.

In general, PERS 2, and INT 2, will serve you well. PERS 3 and INT 3 might serve you a little better. There will be quest options that require higher that should will serve you well. A few PERS 3 and INT 3 checks can be made by attaching equipment with trait bonus.

In general deadly traps tend to get found in clusters. Long narrow hallways, places with blood on the ground, near chests. It seems exact trap locations are randomly generated but those above areas should serve as places to be careful. Bandits, Goblins and Orccs like to set bear traps on surface maps.

Shandor

I thought about playing on Hard, but after 20+ Ironman runs, playing on Hard and respawning just feels too easy/cheaty. Feels like I can finish the game without actually being good, which diminishes the sense of accomplishment.

In regards to skills, at about level 7-9 we get our advanced skills. Suddenly there's 3 new skills that we have to level, but skill points are scarce and leveling is slow. I'm wondering if let's say an Archer with 7 skill points is better with Rapid Fire III(6) and PrecShot I(1), or Rapid Fire II, PrecShot II, MasCrit II. With Warrior I kinda have it figured out. Duel II is enough at lvl 9, I max Body Development cause Ironman, then whatever is left goes to HHand, cause its more ROI than Duel III which is rarely used at this level. I guess the real question is, are active skills like Rapid Fire worth more than passive ones like MasCrit and PrecShot?

Having massive fun with the game and as soon as I finish my first Ironman run, if I feel ready, I'll be posting a progression guide, a full comprehensive guide on the class I finished with, from lvl 1 to lvl whatever. I've already figured out a few builds that can consistently get me to lvl 10 easily. That's where I usually run out of potions and I get lazy to farm potions and I die.

Thanks a lot for the answer. Will keep INT and PER 2 for now, I feel like 6 more points in those would take away from my combat skills too much.

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
1. The thing about progression builds is you might want to start the game as something quite different then respec when you get to around guild-level.

1.1 As for Advanced Skills, or basic skills for that matter, if they are the typical 1/2/3 point progression, it costs the same (6 skill points) to bring two to Level 2 as one to Level 3. Quite often it will be better to have 2 at 2; but as @VDX_360 says depending on exact class and build it might be better to get one maxed out, especially if Level 3 is significantly ahead of Levels 1 and 2 and your build is based on that skill.

2. Either learn the game on Hard or spec Adaon up with high Awareness, Dungeoneering, Trap Mastery and Agility. If you get his Disarm to 60% he will attempt to Disarm (if he succeeds you get XP, if he fails he takes the fall or you). And spend spend your money on Scrolls of Detection.

3. Generally (not always, but typically) you need Personality or Intellect. Look at the Trait Check table for spoilers, the ones with exclamation marks are important. If you look in the notes on the right there are 42 different "Alternatives" (and this will be higher in 1.3) the bulk of them is Per/Int but not all, e.g. having Awareness vs Adaon in your party. Quite often these trait checks are quite modest, e.g. some XP, gaining a little gold (or being forced to spend some), and some reputation variances up/down, that sort of thing. Later in the game you'll be afford to get a bit of each, but to start with focus Intellect for Mage and Personality for Cleric (best for Mana) however 2 points in the "other" trait will give you a man boost too, for Rogue both are viable but 2 points of Intellect gives 5% to Detect & Disarm (Gossip isn't hugely important, you can spec up a Companion for a Gossip bonus); the Warrior can go either way: you get some Death/Spirit resistance with Personality and an XP bonus with Intellect, but I'd first-and-foremost consider "roleplay" experience, do you prefer to be brilliant or do you prefer to be charismatic?

Shandor

Very helpful write-up. Warrior with Adaon trapper will be my next run. I'll maybe document it on the builds thread. Last few questions.

I'll need PER for Duel, but I also want to be able to cast scrolls that require INT. I want to go for Magical Training. Do you think that's worth it? Roleplay-wise I like my character being a normal human, not a village idiot(low-INT) or antisocial hermit(low-PER).

XP-wise, are the shrine donations worth it? 2% boost seems like nothing early game when monsters give 20-40xp. Is it a late-game thing?

Re-speccing doesn't really seem worth it to me personally. It's awkward shelling out 8k more gold, after spending 15k on adv. skills, 5k on companion respec, equipments, potions. And you need to collect 20-30k for a belt. I found it easier to just save my skill points rather than set myself back 8k gold to respec.

EDIT: almost forgot, adaon ranged or melee? I've been playing ranged cause he stays alive longer + has awa.

Last edited:

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
Remember your companion can cast Scrolls if they have Int, it's handy to get them to be your Teleport gate. Magical Training is useful (1 point) for the scroll of Circle of Restoration. I've never bothered with shrines.

I know the belts are expensive, but 8k is quick to get. A couple of trips into the Maze of Lamth, stock up on Axes & Charms, you'll be there in no time.

I like archer Adaon as it lets me be the focus of activity, but if you're willing to move to a flanking position (Charge is handy for a Warrior) then he can do some beastly damage, and he has some crazy dangerous knives and short swords.