Absurd Trap Damage

Platform
All

Serenity

I just got killed by a trap in kleyou tomb that did 67 damage while in iron man mode. Im ok with your traps but not only is this the 2nd dungeon you probably explore, but some of the traps also move in subsequent playthroughs! This defeats the purpose of learning from your mistakes and becoming a better player, instead it's all left to RNG. Please reduce the damage from traps or at least make armor more effective

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
Spike Traps scale to level, doesn't matter if they're in the 2nd or 22nd dungeon.

What level were you to trigger 67 points of damage?

Serenity

I was only level 4 or 5 so it might be a bugged trap then, it was the one before the ghost where you get the ring of elements. I admittedly didn't have intervention yet and that is a counter to traps but still I'm positive it did 67 damage cause I checked logs when it happened

Atomos

Methods of dealing with traps by classes:
Mage: use Mage Armor spell
Cleric: use Thelume Wisdom spell/prayer/power, maybe train Adaon like below v
Rogue: upgrade Awareness and Agility traits, upgrade Evasion, Trap Master and Dungeoneering skills. Disarm detected traps. Adaon starts doing it at 65% success rate.
Warrior: relax. Penetration is inevitable ;x (jk, use Charge skill)

VDX_360

Staff member
Do you have a screen shot of the combat log?

Let's look at the math.

A Spike Trap on Iroman will do up to 10 points of damage per level (8 normal +25% for difficulty).

So getting hit for 67 points of damage seems to mean you got hit by a level 7 trap doing near full damage.

It could be a case there are traps in Kleyou Tomb that have a minimal trap level of 7, so being level 4 didn't reduce them.

It could be that you stepped on two traps back-to-back.

The combat log would help sort it out.

One of the known issues is that you can't look at your combat log after you died. I think that would be helpful to sort out things like this.

VDX_360

Staff member
It seems there are traps in the game that have minimal levels that can be higher than you. Often those traps have blood pools, or bodies near them.

VDX_360

Staff member
I did a test.

There are Level 7 trap(s) in Kleyou Tomb.

On ten tests, a Level 7 trap in Kleyou hit me for 43, 62, 33, 66, 0, 39, 57, 59, 62, 37 points of damage. That appears consistent with expectations. The zero being a dodge. The trap appeared but did no damage (not even a blimp in the combat log)

Note, I was using a brand new character. On Hard, Warrior, STR 1, END 2 (63 HP), no armor. Just rant to the tomb from the start. Hard and Ironman are the same except for perma death.

The game tells you that on Hard and Ironman, traps are more numerous and more dangerous.

Not for new players, or players who dislike frustration.

Spike traps are the #1 reason to avoid Fury builds on Ironman. The need for low health to trigger fury does not go well with an unlucky spike trap.