About dual wield

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
I am trying to add the first dual wield weapons in the next update. So I thought about sharing how it will work, so people can provide feedback and maybe I can tweak it around and even include some of your ideas.

Due to engine limitations, left-hand weapons will be specific Dirks balanced for that use, you can't use any weapon for that. Also, there will be no specific animation of you attacking with both weapons: it will just be held and provide bonuses (i.e, a "stat stick").

Melee rogues will benefit from this the most, although warriors will get to use the simplest of them.

Dirks will be specialized. Some will be merely offensive (+damage bonus), others will be defensive (% chance of parry), others have a specific ability added to main attack, like stun, etc.. Very likely, warriors will only be able to use some of the +damage ones initially, maybe some exception on very good items.

About % parry: while it will be a passive skill, it will only work if you are attacking & facing that enemy; it will be good vs one enemy, but not so much vs groups, making shields still a good option.

Thoughts?

Sounkeng

I like this! I think it will be a nice addition, and assuming a sufficient number of available options than I think we are looking at a very nice addition. I look forward to its implementation!!

Will this allow me to attack with 2 damage type? (ex. fire and ice)

I like the idea that this implementation will open the door for melee rogues to stun enemies.

Is dual wield something a level 1 rogue could pick up (assuming he ran across a dirk)? or will it take an advanced skill?

Also, where the second weapon is more of a "stat stick" does that mean the damage from the second weapon will just be applied to the damage of the first weapon (i.e no additional reduction via armor?)

I understand there won't be any attack animations. But will it at least look like my character is running around with 2 weapons drawn?

ArrowsFTW

I cant wait David!
Just some input since you might add more skills for this new feature-I would like to bring up the number of active slot skills available on the screen. Since we are getting more skills, wouldn't it be better to expand the slots to 5 from 4 because this would make players more freely to create different and unique builds instead of of being locked in with just 4 different active slots.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
It will be an option from early levels and onwards, with initial dirks adding a few damage points. Yes, sometimes it will be elemental damage and you will be able to inflict different damage types; not sure if the next update will have lots of variety tho.

The second weapon will be visible on the sprite, of course.

There will likely be a passive advanced skill that will increase the effectiveness of dirks, but probably not yet. Also, I would like to have more than 4 slots, but not easy to fit them fot all devices... I'll make them maybe optional, but definitely not yet.

Board Troll

It is usually standard that duel weilding comes with a cost, usually a "to hit" penalty in return for more damage when you do hit.

Perhaps you could make the ability "dual weapon expert" much like the warrior's 2 hand expertise in order to make it "cost" something for damage which is significant?

I wouldn't make it an advanced skill, and perhaps only for rogue's to keep it a class specific advantage. Warrior's are by FAR the most diverse and since they already have armor bonuses, 2h bonuses, and the most effective advanced skill options, this seems warranted.

Dimidium

I had a reply in mind, but I am going to wait and see how David implements this and then talk about it.

Glass Cannon

Loreseeker
Yep its a go i think its a good addon to the game.

Make a whirl wind set of swords or some axes or dual shields for optimum shield bash / smite in the future.... whirl wind is one of the most epic skills for dual wield weapons just like fury ( increases attack speed dubble wen 2 handed is held ).

Good work boss David.

Cainus

Dual wielding is looks and sounds so cool but i think i love my shield.. haha..
But still ofc i cant wait for next update.
This will be releasing with next update isnt it ?