A Trap Question

Invector

Got a question about traps. According to the “Details” page, my Mage has an 85% chance of disabling traps. With spike traps this seems to be the case and then some. I can’t remember the last time I tried and failed to disable one of those.
On the other hand, bear traps zap me regularly. I haven’t kept a log or anything, so this is merely anecdotal, but I'm sure my bear trap disabling rate is well below 85%. Just a day or two ago I attempted to disable the three bear traps before Castle Blue Rock and I failed on all three. I also failed on a couple more guarding outlaws near there.
So in my experience bear traps are much more difficult to disarm than spike traps, and I’m wondering how the disabling percentage rate (in my case 85%) is figured? Is it an average between the easier spike traps and the more difficult bear traps or is there something else going on?

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
Traps have a level. There is a ±3% bonus/malus applied to Disarm Devices per level difference. This bonus is capped at +15% if the character's level is higher but there is no such cap if the player's level is lower.

I don't know your level, or the Bluerock traps level, but even if you're not getting a large malus you really need to attempt to disarm dozens of traps before you have enough data to examine averages.

VDX_360

Staff member
I just checked. The traps right in front of Blue Rock were Level 18, 19 and 20. That was for a Level 20 character but I don't think the traps scale with level?.

The traps in that map are higher than a lot of traps you'll find up to that point. It's the fortress for bandits so makes sense.

Do bear traps scale with enemy level? Thus, they'll get harder to disarm as you level up? I think spike traps are a set level. Not really sure.

There are a few places in the game where traps are supposed to be tricky. The trap room, places with bandits, etc.

Invector

I don't know your level, or the Bluerock traps level, but even if you're not getting a large malus you really need to attempt to disarm dozens of traps before you have enough data to examine averages.
My Mage is at level 32. Over the past month or so I've disarmed hundreds of traps, and there is clearly a difference between the spike traps and the bear traps as far as the disabling rate. I'm confident I haven't been disabling bear traps 85% of the time.