A reputation Question

Invector

In my first run through the game as a warrior, I gave the medallion to Spice Trader Jethro instead of Fritha Rhayader (“Spicing Things Up” quest). My reasoning was that it was better to have a good reputation with the Golden Hand so as to gain access to the Grey Library, than it was to have a good reputation with Fritha so as to get her to sign the petition (“Three verses Eleven” quest) and save myself $1000 (to bribe Kardagis to forge a signature).

My question is this: Is there another way to gain a good reputation with the Golden Hand, or is giving the medallion to Jethro the only option?

ajay

The Secrets of the Dead quest is the only option I know. There are 4 books spread through various dungeons you can hand to either the Grey Library or Royal Loreseekers. I think I did 1 to GL to access their vendor and then 3 to RS and the Spicing Things Up quest.

VDX_360

Staff member
The four books and the Spice Trader medallion are the only ways to increase reputation with the Golden Hand. (There's a few ways to lower it by fighting in the library).

For players that like to give the Medallion to Fritha, you can grab the Secrets of the Dead book from Irazur Tomb (you don't have to beat the lich, just not get killed by it). Give that book to The Golden Hand to gain positive reputation to access the library. Do what you need to do there (loot, purchase, trigger quests). Than give the medallion to Fritha, which will lower your rep with the Golden ?hand, but at that point you won't have any need to access the library again.

The library has a few items useful early to mid-game, but by the late game, everything's out-classed by other stuff so it's not really a deal breaker either way.

ajay

Since you got into specifics, there is also a tome, in the Grey Library, which is a portal to complete a quest for the 7th House. Lost in a Good Book, iirc. You have to use the tome to advance the quest otherwise, it will not be able to be completed.

Currently, my rogue have -1 rep with the Grey Library, but they are not hostile and I can use their vendors. This is after giving Fritha the medallion, regaining positive rep with the Grey Library with the books of the dead and then eliminating it with giving the remaining books to the Royal Loreseekers. How I managed to maintain their positive outlook on my rogue was coincidental.

Dæyne

use the library in Freetown to sell your farmed items for Sunken Citadel and Maze. At least the gear. Gives you most money per item I found. I always sell here

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
One guy in the Grey Library buys for 15% above normal value, but the other trader also has discounted items so you can stock-up cheaply.

Not that money is really an issue in this game.