A question about "It may make available new conversation options" traits

DuperFriend

I like games where ones charisma can do a little more, how high do these need to be to get most of those benefits? Are Intellect, Awareness, and Personality hugely different or similar when taking those unique paths? And are the benefits from those paths great or mediocre?

VDX_360

Staff member
BIG NOTE: Mages and Clerics get Mana from INT and PER so keep that in mind when consider trait allotment.

It's difficult to answer that question without giving away spoilers. The Wiki has a a list of trait checks in the game if you really want to know exact details.

In general, yes, there are several places in the game where passing an INT, AWA, or PER trait check will make a difference in the game. The so-called "peaceful" ending of the game can only re reached by passing a high level trait check of several traits.

In general, yes, there's a difference between INT, AWA and PER trait checks. The ability to translate something, for example, requires an INT check. AWA is required to spot a few secret levers in the game. PERS is required to win over a crowd.

You can beat the game with zero in INT, AWA, and PERS. You'll miss a few dialogue options, and miss a few quests, but it's technically doable. Several advance skills require investment into INT, AWA or PERS, so keep that in mind, too.

Even if you wanted to invest heavily into physical traits such as STR, END and AGL, you are well served in tossing some points into the mental skills.
I -might- suggest raising INT, AWA and PER to Level 2 as a first go.

Gr8Scott

Even if you wanted to invest heavily into physical traits such as STR, END and AGL, you are well served in tossing some points into the mental skills.
I -might- suggest raising INT, AWA and PER to Level 2 as a first go.
I have the same experience. A character with all 2's seems to be a good starting point.

You mentioned you bumped Awa to 3 in another response to me. This might be spoiler territory, but are there any traits required for Certain endings? I'd hate to get to the end and find out I'm not the person I thought I was :)

Last edited:

VDX_360

Staff member
An optional AWA 5 is a trait check in the end area of the game.
A character can pass that trait check with having a base of AWA 3, with an awareness boosting item.

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
I have to say I'm not in agreement with the others on this. For most of the game Trait Checks are adjacent to useless. The vast majority are the likes of a fraction more XP, a fraction more gold, a slight Reputation boost, or a slight reduction in damage taken. The game is NOT like Fallout (etc.) where charismatic and intelligent characters get a very different experience to brute thugs. Surely it's NICE to get that tiny little extra pat on the head by the game - but it's nothing to stress about.

Towards the end of the game (Tol, Arc) then traits (adjusted by equipment) make a huge difference for significant outcomes. True. But before that? A point of Int for a Werewolf hoard mission is good, and for a Troll mission if you don't have Hirge with you. A couple of points of Awa if you don't take Adaon in dungeons.

I can't think of any quests that are gate-kept by trait checks, though the bank robbery has a lot of checks and if you don't navigate through the right choices at the right time you might not get the ideal outcome.

PS, the link to Trait Checks was broken, it links to Traits. Here is the link.

Gr8Scott

@VDX_360 from the trait check list, it looks like AWA 5 & 5(INT or PER) is required for a 'peaceful" ending. Is that correct? Just wondering how a warrior or rogue would know to invest in these traits. (Other than previous playthrough with a a mana character)
Post automatically merged:    

@stonedwolf I agree with your point for average quests. Warriors are more likely to bash heads where priests would use diplomacy, etc. Different outcomes based on character traits are expected.
There is occasionally the unexpected trait requirement for a skill, but tose aren't not too demanding.
I'm just trying to figure out if a player (like warrior) would know the need to bump up PER or INT for a specific ending. Traits can be re-alotted, but does the game let you know what's needed for the end you are looking for?

Last edited:

Arcanmaster

I'm just trying to figure out if a player (like warrior) would know the need to bump up PER or INT for a specific ending. Traits can be re-alotted, but does the game let you know what's needed for the end you are looking for?
No, there is no text "your Intelect is too small for this option, try again when you'll be more smart".
The only way to discover it in one run is having round build with each trait reached 4 score, best equipment increase traits and hope there is no some trait 8 score check. Cause luck of traits early in game, you should reach 10-12 level without completing quests, just by killing mobs.

Last edited:

Apocalypse

Loreseeker
We need a game in which instead of choosing dialogue options based on our character's traits, we'd actually type or say our response, then the game would evaluate how smart and charismatic we sound and model the outcome based on that.

Captain: "I need you to kill 5 goblins"
Player: "Yo mamma's fat, ugly butt"
Captain: "That does it! Give me all your reputation points right now, kid!!!"

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
There is occasionally the unexpected trait requirement for a skill, but tose aren't not too demanding.

That's something I intended to mention but forgot. If you want an Advanced Skill then it absolutely is worth getting the Traits for, and likely earlier than you "need" them.

You also need INT 2 or PER 3 to get the Half-Moon Medallion. It's a handy trinket, the only Rogue/Warrior neck item to give shock resistance, and the only item I know of gate-kept by Trait checks but it isn't worth making a build specifically to get.