A numerical defense of shield warriors

Argarath

It is a general rule not to let Companions have any active skills with knock back because of AI not knowing how to handle them well. One exception maybe if you use Adaon as a range character to have kick, but I don't see the value of a range Companion when there are better options

VDX_360

Staff member
Argarath":276xynfy said:
... not to let Companions have any active skills with knock back
Yep. Companions tend to knock back at all the wrong times, either breaking a Duel count, knocking enemies into tiles that heal them, or just disrupting the combat flow.

Sometimes Griss likes to shove fire elements onto lava, than follow them. They heal, she burns. Griss is a masochist.

Jibaholic

Just a bump to say that I edited my original post to include a Damage Calculator on Google Sheets. I think it's pretty handy because it gives:

• DPS after substracting average damage reduction from various Armor levels (of course you get very close by just subtracting 60% of the listed armor from DPS).
  • Damage reduction for the character given their armor and shield choice
  • Number of trait points spent on Str + Agi

This lets you really compare different builds and gear.

Also I think there is a small error in the game's DPS calculation for elemental damage. My numbers agree with Error in DPS calculation post but they slightly disagree (by less than a point) for weapons with elemental damage. I may followup on that.

Jibaholic

VDX_360":h9nqwe8t said:
Argarath":h9nqwe8t said:
... not to let Companions have any active skills with knock back
Yep. Companions tend to knock back at all the wrong times, either breaking a Duel count, knocking enemies into tiles that heal them, or just disrupting the combat flow.

Sometimes Griss likes to shove fire elements onto lava, than follow them. They heal, she burns. Griss is a masochist.

One of the reasons why I love Hirge. I think I may be in love in Hirge.

Don't tell my wife.

Argarath

Jibaholic":3ilynqoz said:
One of the reasons why I love Hirge. I think I may be in love in Hirge.

Don't tell my wife.
Lol, so true. Hirge all the way for Companion. Anyhow good arguments. Maybe I will start a shield warrior for my next run through, but I will be stuck with my Mage for a long time. Mage play is so slow compared to Warrior or even Cleric

Cuckoorex

Hirge's main drawback is that she activates Arbeno's Might for EVERY ENEMY, no matter how weak it is. Sewer rat? Arbeno's Might! Goblin? Arbeno's Might! Mana GONE. Worse, sometimes, is that she activates Arbeno's Might for fighting fire elementals and such. So I'm thinking of resetting her skills and getting rid of Arbeno's Might. It just leads to wasted mana most of the time. She has fire weapons for if we run into Trolls, so that's covered already.

VDX_360

Staff member
Jibaholic":a46v8uds said:
I think I may be in love in Hirge. Don't tell my wife.

Just let your wife know that Hirge has a terminal condition. She already has a date penciled in for her to die (no spoilers!).