⭐ Defeating the Undermother on Hard UNWEAKENED ⭐

nds88

So Ive been wanting to beat the Undermother Unweakened on Hard just as an accomplishment to myself since my first playthru. After getting to level 21 I decided grinding to level 25 was not worth my time [due to the huge gap between the twenties]. So I tried on level 21 and came very close with a basic strategy and decided it was possible. Heres how it goes:

You will need atleast
60 Greater Heal potions
20 Resurection Scrolls
The Ankh
6 to 10 Clarity Potions
60 Speed Potions
63+ Stun Resist

Build:
I used a warrior whos build will be posted in a screenshot. Mainly he revolves around using Flurry for huge DPS temporarily. Also, I used a level 20 Hergi with max Heal spell. My weapon of choice was the Permafrost Axe due to the paralysis chance. I did manage to paralyze her a few times. I also used Bash to give her an occasional stun for 2 to 3 seconds. I would reccomend using the Myrosian Breastplate but in my game it refused to drop for me.

Edit:
My DPS ranged from 45 to 100 when all skills activate.
A big Crit on Undermother can do roughly 60 damage.

Strategy:
Start by clearing out the cave and using a clarity potion and loading up Flurry before initiating the fight. When you are ready begin the conversation and choose to fight her. Start attacking until you are low on hp and back off to let Undermother attack Hirge. Continue attacking and back off when necessary. After the initial attack immediately use a speed potion to run around the square area of the cave in a circle pattern. Heal while you are running. After a circle or two Hirge should get up on her own, if not, use a Resurection Scroll. Everytime you attack you will need to have a clarity potion on and Flurry ready. Keep doing this over and over and eventually you will win, but it will take 5 to 10 minutes. Keep healing yourself and Hirge but do not use Clarity potions on her, shes simply a meat shield while you attack. Occasionally she will heal you. As others have mentioned, the Undermothers paralysis stacks. 2 paralysis hits means 20 seconds of doing nothing and almost certainly death (you may survive with the Ankh and Hirges heals if you are lucky). Also, the most frustrating part about fighting her is that the paralysis CONTINUES THRU YOUR DEATH as you will find out when you use your Ankh. You just have to get lucky, often.

Final Notes
You will need luck and many tries to get it right but you can win. Save outside the cave and keep trying. It took maybe 30 tries for me, only about 2 times was I close without winning.

Note: Somewhere at the end of the battle I used a Hero potion and that effect is increasing my armor and dps by a few points. Actual armor is 26 I think.

Last Edit and PS: She dropped garbage.
Version 0.9

VDX_360

Staff member
Congrats on beating the Unweakened Undermother.... it's an every increasing club :)

As for the loot, the only in-game benefit is to have both the Undermother Hide and the Flame Prophet's ring.... you loose a pretty interesting in-game forshadowing hint by not helping the Undermother.

A lot of players opt not to kill the Flame Prophet for in-game character reasons.

vo1d

@nds88, is she much stronger on hard compared to normal difficulty, what do you think?

nds88

Never played on anything but hard so I cant say. I dont know if it would be possible with anything other than a warrior or rogue at this time.

VDX_360

Staff member
nds88":2aj3plfc said:
Never played on anything but hard so I cant say. I don't know if it would be possible with anything other than a warrior or rogue at this time.
One of the immortal cleric builds took out the Unweakened Undermother so it's possible for all three classes to do it. Obviously, she's a tough beast but not impossible.

Given the current content, taking on the Unweakened Undermother is the fill-in for a final boss, so to speak.

Ironman Players seem to prefer to not challenge her unweakened, you know, given that permadeath aspect. Even with the Flame Princess' help, the weakened Undermother is a pain on Hard and Ironman. Curious to see how many players will still take on the Unweakened Undermother after the next release, when equipment updates might be better than her hide....

eakosti

I tried this strategy, but didn't work at all. Undemother seemed to heal herself while I was running around.

nds88

You cant kite her too far. If she is offscreen she will heal to full. Keep her a few steps behind. Its easy to moderate your speed with speed potions, she cant catch you.

eakosti

Aha! Did it. I had hIrge stay in the middle of the room and not attack. That really helped make the undemother's movements more stable. Plus it meant she was always alive to cast heal/restoration.
It seemed like regular attacks did so little damage (after undermother armor adjustment) That they weren't worth it. Just opportunities to get paralyzed. I restricted my attacks to charge and whirlwind with much better affect

nds88

Cool. For me, I waited for Hirge to get up and attack. That let me use Flurry with high crit damage to Flank attack the Undermother. I did significant damage after a few bouts of that. Its always an attrition battle no matter what though.