Basic builds & gameplay tips

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
That was my desire and intent for this thread. I was hoping more people would engage with discussion (A sincere thanks to those who did!).

This sounds more like a very detailed guide, which the more you move into this direction, the more subjective things become (Maze of Lamthe or ice wolves? TH quests or dungeon running? Etc). Finding consensus on that level of granularity might be well nigh impossible.

I think you can do it for skills. For traits is a bit harder, particularly due to some extra points from Tolassian Tomes, thus any guide made wouldnt be able to account for if the players took X amount of Tomes at Y lvls or not

No I'm not talking about that much detail. I don't think the builds should be point-by-point fanaticism - though we need to put a rough outline on - but an example with some text about about variance. But the basics always remain the same.

I could dig the thread but a while back a n00b came on here with a 2H Warrior getting smashed to bits. A crackdown on social skills and pumping into STR and END with adding BodyD and he went from a victim to the god of war. And it's not optimal to max Duel if you're investing all your other points in Charge and Whirlwind, they benefit from Heavyhand.

And this is what I mean about complexity of the template. It was enough to scare me off and I design tech things. It's doable but "a thinker".

At each level band (as said, 1-5, 5-9, etc) give a mention of good things to get and things to avoid. So a 2H warrior needs 2H expert, zero Shield Expert, points into STR but perhaps the first skill point into END (it has great benefit at very low level), etc. etc.

We also need an optional section about the first respect level. Not everyone want to respec just from an RPG perspective, we should not expect or require it. But for those who do we need to say what they might do differently at lower level.

Did I mention to do this right might be complex?

In some ways it might be better as series of sections (level bands) that are predominantly text.

marcus_lazarus

Hello, just new here. I was wondering if you have known some farm-site for gold. I was level 13 warrior and was struggling to keep up on my potion consumption because my char is poor. I was wondering if you guys have one.

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
Hello, just new here. I was wondering if you have known some farm-site for gold. I was level 13 warrior and was struggling to keep up on my potion consumption because my char is poor. I was wondering if you guys have one.

Search the forum or make a post asking for help. You'll get loads. Let's keep this thread on track with builds not farming.

Neponde

At each level band (as said, 1-5, 5-9, etc) give a mention of good things to get and things to avoid. So a 2H warrior needs 2H expert, zero Shield Expert, points into STR but perhaps the first skill point into END (it has great benefit at very low level), etc. etc

In some ways it might be better as series of sections (level bands) that are predominantly text
This is precisely what I was thinking, and if I was to add more "detailed instruction" to the builds on this thread, that's how I would do it.

I think you mentioned it, yes. And I agree.

And it's not optimal to max Duel if you're investing all your other points in Charge and Whirlwind, they benefit from Heavyhand.
I was encountering this problem as I was doing these writeups too. I tried to address it either in "variant builds" or talking about synergies/conflicting skills in the "hints" section, so people would be able to decide which particular sub-sub build they wanted to do.

On a wiki setup, perhaps the best way to address it would be to split some of the builds into sub-variants. Eg- active 2H warrior (charge + whirlwind max) vs passive 2H warrior. Or, separate the builds entirely into different pages, but you would be able to copy-paste much of the details.

Edit to add:
Just a thought, but what if we took one of the more straightforward builds (2H warrior, archer rogue, summoner mage), and use it as a model for designing a template. It will take editing and rewrites, but it would give us something tangible to interact with and take the discussion out of pure theory.

Last edited:

MCRbullz

As the new member I wanted to introduce myself, say hi.
I've enjoyed playing this game for a while and on occasion dropped in for tips. But the time has finally come to get this done. I came close, I could almost smell poor Amarisa's perfume ( "eau de armpits " ,seriously , she's been locked up for over a decade).
I'm playing mage (hard) currently at level 9. I have played previously using summoner build so decided to go on the defensive for a change. Any advice is appreciated.

Kakost

As the new member I wanted to introduce myself, say hi.
I've enjoyed playing this game for a while and on occasion dropped in for tips. But the time has finally come to get this done. I came close, I could almost smell poor Amarisa's perfume ( "eau de armpits " ,seriously , she's been locked up for over a decade).
I'm playing mage (hard) currently at level 9. I have played previously using summoner build so decided to go on the defensive for a change. Any advice is appreciated.
Absolutely my friend, we will help you if we can.

Now, lvl 9 is largely the end of the EARLY game territory but hey, playing on Hard for the very first time is truly challenging, so if you're having to struggle a bit is absolutely understandable.

Before we dive in into your story, I would however ask you to start a new thread, just because we will have an easier time helping you there, and in it add some pictures of your equipment, also post the traits and skills that you have, so that we can properly guide you on the next steps to take.

There's also a thread here on the top with a list of quests, you may wanna check it out to see if there's anyone that you've missed along the way. Doing quests truly is the better way to lvl up fast, particularly at the start (late-mid and late game requires some farming almost unavoidably), so if by any chance you missed some quests that are "easy" up to lvl 9, that would help too.

And if you're having a hard time on any particular quest, also please ask in the new thread you open and we can guide you to it.
Post automatically merged:    

Edit to add:
Just a thought, but what if we took one of the more straightforward builds (2H warrior, archer rogue, summoner mage), and use it as a model for designing a template. It will take editing and rewrites, but it would give us something tangible to interact with and take the discussion out of pure theory.
That's a good idea. But I think that this thread is good as it is. My suggestion would be to start a new thread in order to add more detail, while keeping this one as a sort of "quick tips" or rather "summary/quick guide", and having another thread as an "expanded guide".

That way, the work done here would also serve as the basic skeleton for the more complete expanded guide (and Neponde can just copy/past it in the new thread in order to edit, while keeping this one for quick reference)

But yes, breaking this up in lvls brackets (every 5 lvls is probably optimal, thus giving 5 ranges, from lvl 1 to 25) is indeed the best way to deal with it.

I'll try to keep giving some hints here and there, unfortunately I dont have time for more than that, althought I would like to help more, but I'll try as best as I can

Last edited:

Neponde

But I think that this thread is good as it is. My suggestion would be to start a new thread in order to add more detail, while keeping this one as a sort of "quick tips" or rather "summary/quick guide", and having another thread as an "expanded guide".
I'm fine with this thread being used for build discussion. Its on topic, but not all details will make their way to the OP.

Kakost

I'm fine with this thread being used for build discussion. Its on topic, but not all details will make their way to the OP.
That's not what I meant, what I was refering to was exactly about getting 1 OP for the summary and another for the extended version, for easy of access

Neponde

I've begun the leveling tips section. If you have a favorite area you like to level up and grind in, let me know; I'll need:
1) area
2) level you like to start at
3) class and build used

So, for example, I can put Mausoleum** (CoT, Ele, 2HW) in the midgame somewhere.

I'll also be tagging easily missed quests, and may even go through the full quest list, and add them in eventually.

Kakost

Maze of Lamth lvl 1 ( Mages) - Starting char lvl 6
Maze of Lamth lvl 1 (Any but Mages) - Starting char lvl 9
Maze of Lamth lvl 2 (All Classes) - Starting char lvl 12
Undercity (All Classes) - Starting char lvl 20/21