Basic builds & gameplay tips

Lamar

> gameplay tips, and a leveling guide (of sorts).
That's ambitious and I'd like to see something like that. Hopefully you don't get overwhelmed.

Kakost

You can bookmark threads you like, so you can easily find them later.
I didnt know that, thanks for the tip, that will surely come in handy.

But what I meant is that this thread is potentially one to be kept at the bottom for all the future new players, it really have great value for begginers that are a bit unsure on what to do, and even for veterans trying something new, but that decision I of course defer to you and the other adms to make, it's just a suggestion.
Post automatically merged:    

Edit: at the TOP, not at the BOTTOM lol sorry for that

Neponde

> gameplay tips, and a leveling guide (of sorts).
That's ambitious and I'd like to see something like that. Hopefully you don't get overwhelmed.
I'll chip away at is as I can. I'll make sure i post after I do a significant add-on to the guide. We are in the middle of a big transition at work, so i likely wont get much done for a week or two.

Okay, I made it sticky.
I am honored. Thank you.

Incidentally, is there a way you can remove the poll at the top? When I first was putting it together, I had the option of deleting it, but now I don't. It was useful, but now it is unnecessary clutter 😬.

Gr8Scott

@Alan_SP @stonedwolf is there anyway to translate builds to the Wiki build section? Most of those seem to be incomplete and/or creative (suboptimal, not a solid beginner build). Maybe set the traits @ lvl 20 & skills 20+ for tomes with skills (and lvl) and why they were chosen or not.

As a new player the most helpful info from that section for me was which skills were not as useful or didn't stack with others. Setting at an end game level shows where you want your character to end up with room to add personal preferences for higher levels.

Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter :)

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
@Alan_SP @stonedwolf is there anyway to translate builds to the Wiki build section? Most of those seem to be incomplete and/or creative (suboptimal, not a solid beginner build). Maybe set the traits @ lvl 20 & skills 20+ for tomes with skills (and lvl) and why they were chosen or not.

As a new player the most helpful info from that section for me was which skills were not as useful or didn't stack with others. Setting at an end game level shows where you want your character to end up with room to add personal preferences for higher levels.

Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter :)

It has been one of the Wiki grievance of mine for years! I talked to some of the admins about this a long time ago, and again a little while back, but the complexity made me head to fix up TH quests and NPcs instead - they were more basic and also easier, just needing "doing".

Builds requires a new style of template. The exiting one is an end build of detail, end-level kit, end-level skills etc., whereas we need one that has a "flow" to explain a character's intent, focus, and what to level up where and whatnot. Since 95% finishing NPCs (I have to go back to a final revise) I moved to a job and have been busy. But I'm getting some more time to myself now so I can fix that up.

I'd love to help a Wiki Build section, have for forever.

But what we need to do, perhaps collaboratively on the forum, is design a build page. What would we want to see on a single link that describes - to a new player - what to do from start to end-level aim.

Once we have a new Build TEMPLATE done then implementing the basics would be easy.

But that's also something I want to do. Make sure we have locked-down the BASICS, as agreed by everyone. S&B Warrior. 2H Warrior. Stab Rogue. Archer Rogue. The "Berserker Bloodlust" warrior novelty build might be a ton of fun but that would not be in the basics but a secondary list of novelty or fun builds. But with a good build template it would be doable.

Want to help plan a new design for the Build templates?

Neponde

Make sure we have locked-down the BASICS, as agreed by everyone
That was my desire and intent for this thread. I was hoping more people would engage with discussion (A sincere thanks to those who did!). As always I'm open to critiques on these. But even then, divergent opinions often exist, and so much comes down to HOW you play as to what works best for you.

whereas we need one that has a "flow" to explain a character's intent, focus, and what to level up where and whatnot.
This sounds more like a very detailed guide, which the more you move into this direction, the more subjective things become (Maze of Lamthe or ice wolves? TH quests or dungeon running? Etc). Finding consensus on that level of granularity might be well nigh impossible.
Want to help plan a new design for the Build templates?
I would love to contribute if I can. Perhaps to accommodate "flow", you could segment it out into categories,

Levels 1-5
Levels 6-10
Levels 11-15
Levels 16-20
Levels 21+

For each one, list what are good focus points (IE, core skills to work on, which traits to upgrade), while still leaving some room for creativity. Suggested layouts could be posted for levels 5, 10, 15, and 20 (skills, traits) if people just want to carbon copy.

Kakost

Builds requires a new style of template. The exiting one is an end build of detail, end-level kit, end-level skills etc., whereas we need one that has a "flow" to explain a character's intent, focus, and what to level up where and whatnot.

This sounds more like a very detailed guide, which the more you move into this direction, the more subjective things become (Maze of Lamthe or ice wolves? TH quests or dungeon running? Etc). Finding consensus on that level of granularity might be well nigh impossible.
I think you can do it for skills. For traits is a bit harder, particularly due to some extra points from Tolassian Tomes, thus any guide made wouldnt be able to account for if the players took X amount of Tomes at Y lvls or not. But for skills, that's much more doable, and it is indeed possible to do a lvl by lvl guide on each and every skill - althought I think that would be too reliant on personal preferences.

I would love to contribute if I can. Perhaps to accommodate "flow", you could segment it out into categories,

Levels 1-5
Levels 6-10
Levels 11-15
Levels 16-20
Levels 21+

For each one, list what are good focus points (IE, core skills to work on, which traits to upgrade), while still leaving some room for creativity. Suggested layouts could be posted for levels 5, 10, 15, and 20 (skills, traits) if people just want to carbon copy.
For every 5 lvls yeah, it's possible to give people some guidance on traits.
Post automatically merged:    

I particularly liked Neponde's style of laying out "Critical" and "Helpful" skills for each build, as well as which traits players should invest with more intensity or moderate intensity. I think it lets new players have a general direction to go while leaving room for discovery and experimentation.

Just a Walkthrough saying all the lvls you should do all quests and the minimum amount of gold down to the last coin at each stage sounds so boring. If it were up to me, I would leave as it is, and let players figure things out as they go but with some guidance to where to follow, rather than babysit them on every step.

But that's me. Some people would indeed want a full walkthrough that they could carbon copy.

Last edited: