The Shamans' Way: New play diary (Summoner Cleric)

Neponde

It's difficult to heal a summons with a companion getting the spill over 1st
Flames of faith would actually have the advantage there. 60hp for companion, and 60hp for wolf. Longer cooldown, obviously, but has the advantage of 126 spirit damage burning your foe to a glorious crisp.
Post automatically merged:    

Longer dungeons and boss fights will make you work to stretch that mana
Like the caster/elementalist mage, the stronger skills would get reserved for groups, hard enemies, and bosses. Let Hirge take the blades to the face, and heal everyone up. 😅

Last edited:

Kakost

Like the caster/elementalist mage, the stronger skills would get reserved for groups, hard enemies, and bosses. Let Hirge take the blades to the face, and heal everyone up. 😅
My problem with Hirge is exactly that, she takes the blades to the face, and then she keeps spending her mana to... Heal herself.

Self heal for companion at the expense of mana seems like a waste to me, because I can effectively heal Griss by simply unequip/re-equip her, spending nothing. And my own heal I use either to heal myself or on rare occasions where healing Griss is vital to keep her from dying in a tough fight.

What that means is, I probably dont know exactly how to use Hirge. At least not without spending tons of mana potions. Maybe it's something I should work on at.

I could (theoretically) just foregone Heal altogether. Intervention would become my saving grace, Flames of Faith would become my damage skill and healing mostly for the summon than anything else (negligible for both myself and Griss) and that's it. With solid items for me and Griss, that could be a possibility that I may try to test

Gr8Scott

I rally
Im loving it! And following the preconceived idea I have for the Summoner Cleric (I wanna take Flames of Faith and Battle Prayer),
I'm really looking forward to see if you can pull this off. Especially if you can do it without a respectable of your character.
Lvl 2 wolf is the most mana efficient summons. I recommend add summoner 3 skill before you make the advance to Spirit wolf to make that +15 mana feel worth it.

p4ran0id

Staff member
Yes yes, I know I just started a Meele Rogue diary already. The thing with Meele Rogue is that I sucked big time; I played a while before (on Hard), and I sucked.
It's way more fun if you start diary after getting insane on Ironman run to get nr1.

That's what I did back then to get rid of insanity after very long run. Never finished the diary because I realised I need a break from game after that 🫠

Kakost

I rally

I'm really looking forward to see if you can pull this off. Especially if you can do it without a respectable of your character.
Lvl 2 wolf is the most mana efficient summons. I recommend add summoner 3 skill before you make the advance to Spirit wolf to make that +15 mana feel worth it.
Well, I still have a long way ahead, since now I had to restart (really, Im a huge idiot), but all the early-early game is already redone, currently Im doing a few Town Hall quests to get 40 rep with Varsilia and aid poor Latimer. Im also gonna try to take the book of Necromancy from the Irazur tomb to enter the Golden Hand before giving the medallion to the spice trader woman; hopefully today I'll already be ordained an official priest of the Three, a defender of the faith, and the purge of heresy can begin.

By my account, Flames of Faith is gonna be pretty late game to come. We'll see

I rally

Thanks for the tip, Im sure to follow it up.

Im thinking about completely ditching Heal mid game, and just use potions and scrolls for healing and waking Griss up. So I'll exchange Heal for the Flames, that should do the trick, we'll see.

Heal is pretty good early on, but I can already see that it's usefulness decreases exponentially overtime, when you can keep a healthy arsenal of potions and tomes, so it would be really a waste to waste mana on heal when I can just use potions.

Im eagerly anxious if I can have the summoner with Flames too.

As for the mana intense, I want to have Per as my primary trait, with an Int score that is also balanced on the costs (for example, going from Int 2 to 4 costs 7 points, the same amount as going for Per 6 to 7, so I would get Int 4 before getting Per 8). Even if that leaves me with a bit less DPS, will see if that's offset by using Flames and Sacred Fire (and having my Triumvirate with Battle Prayer)

Last edited:

Nivarian99

i'm assuming all this is Hard or Ironman? How do u get to lvl 8 so quickly? Even with mage's xp boost due to intellect, it is taking me ages to get just to lvl 9

It's way more fun if you start diary after getting insane on Ironman run to get nr1.

That's what I did back then to get rid of insanity after very long run. Never finished the diary because I realised I need a break from game after that 🫠

Woah!! that was some real good writing there, mate!!

reflective!!

Kakost

i'm assuming all this is Hard or Ironman? How do u get to lvl 8 so quickly? Even with mage's xp boost due to intellect, it is taking me ages to get just to lvl 9

Woah!! that was some real good writing there, mate!!

reflective!!
The second time you'll play you'll also lvl faster.

Yes, this is on Iron Man. Hard to me is just "test mode". That's why when I began playing Rogue I played on Hard, because I was learning and wanted just the "casual experience".

Once you start getting the hang of the game, and you already know how hard each quest and each map is, the game gets a lot easier.

Of course, with experience also comes a sense of excessive confidence, which has caused my own downfall.

But I lvl fast because I already know the best pathway to follow with the quests, thus I do all quests in an optimal sequence, and early on quests are what gives most XP and gold. I hate farming by the way, so I dont farm, I just do quests, and I just go towards the objectives, ignoring everything else (the first time I played for instance I made a point at exploring every single map and dungeon to the fullest).

The only downside is that I get few gold and thus I usually dont have many potions (or none at all) at the early game, but that's fine because early game is easy.

For instance, I did Head Hunting quest at lvl 4, Unkown Dungeon at lvl 2, Where did I put my Sword and Dark Matters at lvl 5, and that one from the Spice Trader also at lvl 5. Those are all quests that are highly dangerous to be done at such low lvl. I did "Easy Job" at lvl 6, and because I started hunting White Wolves at such low lvl I also finished "a Fair Deal", immediately followed by "Mad Wizard".

So, basically I do quests at a lvl that is lower than what would be considered to be "safe" to deal with, because Im experienced and know how best to accomplish things - where and when to use potions, how to best use my skills and when to use them, how to properly lure enemies one by one and leave a boss alone without its minions and so on.

For instance, Dark Matters is only possible at lvl 5 because I know how to lure all the minions one by one, leaving the boss alone. In my first play with Elementalist, I only did that quest at lvl 8 and it was still hard. But now I know I have to keep Griss waiting outside, and then I lure all minions, including the ghost, to her, leaving the boss alone.

Also, with a Cleric with Sacred Fire, there are many quests that are far easier. Where I put my sword for instance, I simply 1 shot all the ghouls there with it.

Rogue I need to be a bit more cautious, however it is insanely good against bosses - the damn Goblin Itharrack has never died so fast and so easily before. Thus, if I can lure the minions one by one, it's super easy too.

Where did I put my sword was super easy with invisibility and sprint.

Irazur tomb (to recruit Hirge, not to clear the dungeon) was also super easy with both.

So, this is the reason why. And like I said, I dont waste time. For example, at Irazur tomb I dont try to clear it at the first time I go, I would die if I tried, or I would have to go at much higher lvl. Instead, I get in, get the medallion and get out. Once I have my objective Im out.

In time you'll manage to do the same.

After beating the game the first time, I recommend you try Iron Man, as to prepare your mind in the proper way to deal with all the challenges the game has, or at least one play on Hard, to get a feeling of it. By that, your ability will improve 10 fold

Nivarian99

After beating the game the first time, I recommend you try Iron Man, as to prepare your mind in the proper way to deal with all the challenges the game has, or at least one play on Hard, to get a feeling of it. By that, your ability will improve 10 fold
Thanks again for such a detailed post. Ironman. Ironman!! hmm, let me finish the game once and then slowly work my way up from Story mode!!! 😊