2-Handed vs 1-Hand & Shield

Gr8Scott

Is there general rule when it might be better to shift wepon style? I know there are a ton of factors dpending on situation with this question? So excluding elemental damages, is there a general rule. DPS in the calculation doesn't work, so I've been using physical Damage per hit compare to armor. It still seems 2-hand works better in situations where I think it wouldn't.

My current thinking:
To add a shield raises the lower bar of damage done (2 point per 10 armor or 1 average) + shield armor (also halved for average. IE. 3-17 armor [10 per hit] becomes 8-20 [14 per hit] with a shield bonus of 3 armor. If this is correct, I'm looking for a raw damage offset of 4 points per hit (not factoring elemental differences. K.I.S.S.) AND maybe a bit more due to speed increase of hits with 1-hand.

I must be missing something in calculations because 2-hand seems to finish enmies quicker at less than a 4 difference. Thank you in advance for sharing your expertise. I may also figure out how to use Hirge better as I get a better grasp on this one.

Atomos

If a lot of skeletons shoot at you, or you're trying to outlast a strong boss - shield is better.
If you're trying to kill a lot of stuff quicker than it tries to kill you - 2h is better.

Gr8Scott

@Atomos you are missing the point. At what point do I know I have a weapon better at killing stuff quickly? A steel 2-hand sword doesn't cut it at level 20. Pun intended.

VDX_360

Staff member
There's not an exact equation that would give you a mathematically supported, objective line between the two.

There are simply too many variables, including the massive impact playing style has on combat.

Warriors are best served by picking a style and keeping with it. There are plenty of discussions on the pros-and-cons of 2-H vs 1-H with Shield.

Rogues are often best served with sticking with light weapons and kiting like crazy.

Clerics can swap between 1-H, Light and 2-H pretty easily, but it's about situational issues more than a red-line over which is best. (E.g. a fire weapon is needed for trolls, a heavy hitting weapon is useful for overcoming high defense creatures etc).

While it's not the answer you want, the best advice is pick the type you want to play, than work on making that weapon type work for you.

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
@Atomos you are missing the point. At what point do I know I have a weapon better at killing stuff quickly? A steel 2-hand sword doesn't cut it at level 20. Pun intended.

The investment into 2H skill means you're better with a 2H weapon than the same character without investment in the 2H skill with those points elsewhere in other skills.

I'd switch to shield if you're getting stunlocked in the Bluerock entrance but other than that 2H guys will be better with 2H weapons.

Gr8Scott

Thank you for the responses. I should have specified I'm using a Cleric, so style is variable in order to switch unlike a warrior who's skills support one or the other style.
I admitted there ae too many factors for any kind of exact formula. My Calculation method indicates a 4 point difference (base per hit, excluding elemental differences) but 2 points seems to make a difference in favor of 2-hand. Especially noticeable in the arena final battle.
Thanks again for the advice.

VDX_360

Staff member
For Clerics, the issue is pretty easy.

Look at the damage being dealt.

You're whacking away with a light hammer and doing 2 points of damage?
Swap out to the Maul of All Problems Are Just Nails That Need Hit, and doing 30 points of damage?
Might be an easier choice.

The Cleric Skill Might complicates things a bit, as it gives extra bonus damage to 2-H mauls.

But the simple thing is to just keep an eye of the damage log.

Kakost

Id say that for clerics, 2H is probably better. That's for clerics exclusively, since they have a lot of leeway into not getting killed just by anyone.

I think that the entire discussion between 1h-shield vs 2h is totally valid for warriors, and in that case it is absolutely a matter of player style and preference with no clear cut answer - both are equally suitable and equally valid, and each player will have to test to see what fits them better.

But for Clerics, 2h is definitely better (in theory at least)

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
Weapons come into it too.

Maul of Garrak is a great weapon and obtainable far head of Paladin's Longsword let alone Midnight.

Ironically, the only similar-tier (power, easy of acquisition) weapon to it is the Iron Golem Fist which is a rare drop on a quest to get Maul of Garrak.