Vampire Mage, but not really...

Apocalypse

Loreseeker
@Kakost Combustion lowers resistances and armor, so the Lighting Bolt and hits with Arcane Blade did extra damage. What did you do when you didn't have space for running?

Pfff with a Mage Barrier you never need space for running. Your enemies do the running for you.

@Kakost I must admit, Combustion is excellent against robots even though it deals 0 damage. It weakens them so much, afterwards a single electric spark blows them up. Plus it's funny to explode in a ball of fire just like robots do.

*This message is sponsored by the Icemist College of Wizards. Buy your Mage Barrier spell today and save up to 30%. And remember folks: all the cool kids have a Mage Barrier! Are you a cool kid?*

Atomos

@Apocalypse I did the math, and assuming your mage is heavily armored (Shield + 43 armor), and you have 3rd level of Mage Barrier, and you're playing on hard difficulty, you'd need 4 hits to take down a steel spider, each hit does around 32 damage (without criticals), so it costs ~128 HP to take down a single spider, plus a serious frustration when trying to hit with death/arcane blade when enemies bounce back off your Mage Armor. That's pretty meh imo

IAmOdie

*This message is sponsored by the Icemist College of Wizards. Buy your Mage Barrier spell today and save up to 30%. And remember folks: all the cool kids have a Mage Barrier! Are you a cool kid?*
AHA! I knew it! So you are the Wizard Guild's infamous promoter! That explains your enthusiasm towards Necromancy, so much that you would want to see an entire city full of nothing but Skeletal NPCs.

Anyway, thanks, y'all. I still have little to no idea how Mage skills work compared to other classes'. All of your suggestions are handsomely appreciated.

Rk01

@Rk01 Oh no no don't worry, that last plan was craaazy.

This one is GUARANTEED to work!

We repair the Ark, @stonedwolf hacks its mainframe, we power it with Spark Elemental blood thanks to @IAmOdie's new vampiric ability, while YOU steal a Numina Stone and kidnap a Dimensional Parasite by opening the Deep Gate.

Then we feed the stone to the horror and watch what happens. I'll be taking notes. Can't wait to find out what an Horror God looks like!

stealing the stone I can try, now the dimensional parasite is going to be complicated, I'm going to need something equivalent to attract him , a Donkey from... no that's too much, ah but what if maybe we get the DNA of a specimen and mix it with the DNA of a dimensional parasite?? we created a Dimensional Swamp Donkey!!! Oh gosh!

Apocalypse

Loreseeker
stealing the stone I can try, now the dimensional parasite is going to be complicated, I'm going to need something equivalent to attract him , a Donkey from... no that's too much, ah but what if maybe we get the DNA of a specimen and mix it with the DNA of a dimensional parasite?? we created a Dimensional Swamp Donkey!!! Oh gosh!

Damn you're a genius!
It's all in the DNA!!!
*Pacing anxiously in my lair, calculating*

We need to famous Muud'ari Geneticist Dr. Stridsibum! He crashed on Varannar 20 000 years ago with his Muud'ari Seedship, while seeding the planet with human life, and genetically engineered goblins and all sorts of monstrosities. We just need to bring him a vial of Horror blood, swamp donkey hair, and a kitten. He'll create our Dimensional Swamp Chimera!

Then we feed it the Numina Stone and watch.
Post automatically merged:    

@Atomos Oh you're right, Mage Barrier is awfully frustrating with Arcane Blade and Vampiric Blade. It's only useful with ranged attacks. But seriously Mage Barrier deals 60 damage to the robot per hit because of its weakness to shock, so all it takes is 3 hits and boom! Wether you have a force field or not, the Spiders WILL hit you anyway. Combined with the pushback and ranged attacks, it's extremely powerful.

I've played multiple characters in the Ark, and of all that I have played, the most powerful by far - by really really far - is what I call the Muud'ari Engineer. The build uses Mage Barrier, Lightning Bolt, and the Iron Golem. Oh but if you want to try it you NEED the Thuramiam Plate armor, otherwise you won't look like a robot. It's all about the robot look. ;)

What build do you think is the most powerful in the Ark?

Last edited:

Atomos

But seriously Mage Barrier deals 60 damage to the robot per hit because of its weakness to shock, so all it takes is 3 hits and boom!
HAH! I've got you Normie! On Hard and Ironman difficulties Steel Spiders have around 220 health, and hit like a truck, so you'd need to chug potions like crazy. That makes hoarding impossible 🚚
As for the best build: I did exact same thing as my first playthrough. Pretty good in the Ark, but I had Mage Barrier 1 and it does more harm than good (spiders attack you faster) so level 3 is a must, and nowadays I'd take Death Fog 1 instead of Arcanist. That would be exquisite with my wand 🧙

Last edited:

Apocalypse

Loreseeker
HAH! I've got you Normie! On Hard and Ironman difficulties Steel Spiders have around 220 health, and hit like a truck, so you'd need to chug potions like crazy. That makes hoarding impossible 🚚
As for the best build: I did exact same thing as my first playthrough. Pretty good in the Ark, but I had Mage Barrier 1 and it does more harm than good (spiders attack you faster) so level 3 is a must, and nowadays I'd take Death Fog 1 instead of Arcanist. That would be exquisite with my wand 🧙

Wand? You fight with a wand?
*Surprised Pikachu face*

Oh wait you're right, the spiders have more than 180 HP, I always play Hard too. 220 you say? Seems about right, with a few staff blasts or golem punches lol. I also tend to get Body Development late in the game, to have tons of HP. I love playing defensive. I don't mind taking the hits lol.

Well now I want to go see the robots again lol.

Kakost

@Kakost Combustion lowers resistances and armor, so the Lighting Bolt and hits with Arcane Blade did extra damage. What did you do when you didn't have space for running?
I used potions lol.

Really, I would just simply tank the hits in the chest and finish using my staff. Each spider takes 1 Zap + 2 Staff bolts, or 2 Zaps.

That mean I can use 1 Zap, 1 staff bolt and take only 1 hit before killing with the second bolt.

The only problem of course is facing 2 or more spiders at once (or 1+ spider and 1+ steel wizard). But in most of those cases I just run in circles until my zap CD is ready again.

Combustion is too mana expensive and didnt make any difference to me (still 2 Zaps or 1 Zap + 2 Staff-eds).

And finally for Steel Wizards, I would either keep dodging and hitting with staff or zap, or summon my lvl 1 sparkling, so I would always kill the spiders and leave the damn mechas for last (but it's so delicious to kill 2 of those at once with 1 single immortal sparkling)
Post automatically merged:    

Wand? You fight with a wand?
*Surprised Pikachu face*
Wand? You fight with a wand? (2)

Atomos

@Apocalypse I thought you like playing defensive 🤔 @Kakost wand is the greatest troll weapon ever. Put some points into mastery, and first level of Death Fog, and you'll have the greatest backup plan ever. Once your summon and companion fall to the boss, you can stall him literally forever xD. No need to fix your tankers ASAP, and radiation doesn't hit as hard if you have a shield, and you get another XP boost