What companions do you use most often and why?

What companion do you use most often?

• Grissenda

• Adaon

• Hirge

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cryf

Hi! I've been through several playthrough with Hirge, and now I can not give up on her. It feels like it was not her vow to follow me, and I made a vow to follow her :)

I think the other companions are too weak. My very abbreviated and superficial evaluation:
  • Adaon: in combat has ok damage and he's not survivable at all (the damage is actually very good, but it doesnt count because Adaon can't deal damage if he dies, and he will. And he can be replaced by Scroll of Detection ^_^ so he is the worst
  • Grissenda: she's got more HP than Adaon, even more than Hirge, (Thanks to Body Development) but anyway she's not as good at surviving as Hirge.
    As for damage, Grissenda have Fury and Criticals. Second place
  • Hirge (Princess Hirgalande): Arbenos might & Duel for damage. Hirge has Intervention, which is why she is the most survivable. And healing as a nice bonus. In my opinion, she is the best.
I realy want to try others (I even tried it but quickly went back to Hirge because she is sooo strong...)
Perhaps my assessment is subjective. Maybe I'm not seeing some of the benefits of other companions?

What companions do you use most often and why?

gameplay demonstration with Hirge:
[Deleted by Mod]

VDX_360

Staff member
Companion choice depends a lot on player preference, build, and player style. There's been a lot of head-to-head comparisons, and the following tend to hold true.

New players tend to lean towards Hirge for her healing ability. Her 2-H maul + Might gives her a solid damage-per-hit, giving her a shield can keep her around for quite some time. Her being to use the Circle of Restoration can be pretty awesome in a tight spot.

More experienced, and more aggressive players, tend to lean towards Griss. Her crowd control ability really takes the edge off group fights, and her end-game 2-H abilities make her a non-trivial path of destruction. The best offense makes the best defense.

The game's AI limitations really hinder Adaon as a Companion. A rogue's best skills require careful use to be really effective. The AI just can't do it. you can keep him around for traps, but there are other ways to deal with traps. Adaon was the first Companion so he gets some slack in his versatility.

An effective player will adjust playing style to match the pros/cons of the Companion, or choose a Companion that suits his or her needs.

If you find yourself depending too much on potions, or Hirge's healing ability, chances are there are some slight adjustments you could do to improve your combat ability.

Atomos

I always choose companions to compliment my character abilities:
- as a warrior or rogue I always choose Hirge so she can heal me, do some light tanking, and crowd control,
- as a cleric I choose either Adaon or Grissenda with 2h setup to provide extra damage,
- as a Mage I choose Grissenda with 1h setup to provide serious tanking and stable damage. Hirge is good too, especially for arcane knight, but I don't like having two mana users on my team.

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
I like Adaon because he is the weakest.

The game's AI limitations really hinder Adaon as a Companion. A rogue's best skills require careful use to be really effective. The AI just can't do it.

If he is Archer Adaon, it takes care of itself providing you can handle the agro. The best part is when you're on a boss and he keeps pausing them for you. Assassin Adaon works if you manoeuvre as a fighter. You have to flank, the opponent turns to you, Adaon gets a crazy backstab.

Hirge is the best because you can use her with any build. Frankly on a Warrior build she makes you so OP it's painful. Handy if you want to do a higher-level raid than you can otherwise handle though.

Cryf

I hadn't even thought about a 2-handed Griss because she has much less ability to boost strength than the player, but in the late game I think I can get her enough strength so she can handle the crowd. Suitable for the company of an archer build because the archer can not good with the crowd.
I will try out 2-H Griss, thanks for reply

VDX_360

Staff member
Two Handed Expert includes a damage boost and stun chance. That makes Griss pretty viable as a 2-H Warrior in the mid-to-late game.

The +3 STR Belt helps her out, too. If you're playing an Archer Rogue, you won't need the STR belt anyways.

Kakost

So, I gave a lot of thought about this which is one of the most frequent questions made. And rather than giving a simple yes or no answer, I reckon this requires some longer considerations.

Now, first of all Im still learning, and havent finished the game. But from what I have experienced so far, I feel I can add my 2 cents.

So, Hirge i obviously pretty good for the overall survival. If you have enough mana pots, you are unlikely to die with here - pretty handy indeed in special if you're playing IM.

However, this game aint just a matter of "how do I kill X Boss". On many occasions, the Boss - even strong ones - end up being the less of the problems.

The fact that you dont naturally heal, needing to sleep at predetermined places or using potions, means that progress in the game is a matter of endurance. What this means is, to keep advancing while minimizing resources spent in the least amount of time.

On several dungeons I went for instance, just getting to it proves an ordeal - which means a lot of potions needed, which means more gold spent for that purpose.

As an example, I just completed Hirge's quest of the Seal. And her part of it was super easy. But I decided to push foward.

I did reach the center of the Forbidden Pit, but that costed me a total of 83 mid mana potions, 17 mid hp and 3 elixirs of galade. But I decided not to try the Void Lord, since Hirge was dying to Dark Presences even with both Heal and Intervention 3.

And to be honest, I wasnt exactly safe either. Hirge only aggros 1 enemy at a time, because she doesnt have Cleave. So, sometimes when there were 2 or 3 shadows, they would go after me instead of being pinned at Hirge. That's one of her weaknesses.

At those moments, a quick Combustion+Disintegrate made short work of those - but again, that's heavy mana.

On other moments, she did die against the strongest shadows, leaving me to run like hell using Combustion and Disintegrate.

Anyway, despite those few moments, she did good. Im not so sure that Griss would survive on some occasions where Hirge did. However, with Griss it would've been a lot less potion demanding.

Therefore, I'd say that Hirge is pretty good on certain places, where she can greatly help to deal with foes that would be too strong or problematic otherwise, but Griss is overall far better at the long game of endurance. With Griss you'll spend far less in order to keep advancing, thus she'll in fact help you advance more and faster than Hirge, but Hirge allows you to overcome stances that would be too hard otherwise and potentially letal.

One of the main problems of Hirge is that she has a sort of conflict between her Intervention and Heal.

Without Heal, she wont heal YOU, and thus she becames an option a lot less safer, since her ability to save you is one of her main assets.

On the other hand, having Intervention with heal means you cant just unequip her to "regenerate" her like with Griss, because she heals herself up before losing enough health for that to happen, and Intervention simply prevents her from "naturally dying", consuming her mana instead.

And Hirge without Intervention is not good either, since she dies way faster and easier than Griss, without Intervention she cant fulfill her main purpose of tanking strong foes.

Thus, for Hirge to be truly formidable and a good option, she needs both Heal and Intervention, but that means she becomes a Black Hole of mana potions for the late game (early game not so much), and thus Griss becomes the default option for runnind around in your errands, while Hirge is still good for places too tough (althought, I still prefer to use hp pots and even scrolls of restoration for Griss).

For example, while I do pretty much everything with Griss, Im planning to use Hirge to deal with the Elemental Lord and that Demonic Prince of Sloth at the Forsaken Fortress. Those are two targets where Hirge can be truly helpful to deal with in a much easier way (or less insane at least).

And Adaon is really only situational, and for those veterans that really are up for an insane challenge.

Zeke Lionheart

As a warrior I don't equip Hirge with Intervention I just let her flank while giving her Mana Pots to continue healing me, and when she dies mid Boss Killing im pretty much dead. Although with a few running for my life tactic and coming back at the area where she died pretty much resurrects her with her remaining mana from earlier. Scrolls of Restoration probably let's you kill lvl 17 boss's even if your lvl 9-10, of your playing as a Warrior that is…