Something not nice ...

Kyoji

People , I start to Say that even if I really like this game , I am not good in playing It and I am doing It in Easy mode Just for the fun and I feel no shame in that .

Now there Is this Undermother boss wich I was not able to take down in her not " weakened " way ( I tried to take down the daughter and both the Undermother ) .
I tried to prepare my Pg with everything I hard against stuns / confusions , potions etc... , I watched Quest videos but still It was impossible for me to take down that Monster .
By one side I understand that She was created by the developer in a so impossible way cause there are many options for accomplish that quest , however by the other side I ask the developer to avoid to create such over dramatic bosses .
You know , there are people like me Who tries to play Just for the fun .
I understand that this could sound childish , but Imagine a player Who tries to search for equip based on mind effect resistance ( the sun marked ones ) , grinding flower of Tesur for craft potions of clearity and all the good things for discover that you get stunned around 2 on 3 times you get touched by that boss ...in Easy mode .

Atomos

Have you tried going to the Great Library and buying a ton of scrolls of the Circle of Restoration? These make you pretty much invincible with the right tactics. Potions of Heroism from Nivarian help too

VDX_360

Staff member
The game was designed to be a more traditional old school game -- including being harder than a lot of current games. That means your character might die a lot. But don't worry. The Forum is here to help.

The Undermother is tough in her normal, and her unweakened state. Her paralysis attack is brutal, and her attack is brutal with no real weaknesses.

So here's some tips:

Choose a companion that has a high defense and a shield. Every second they can survive helps to wait for cool downs.

The skills such as Battle Rage and Infantry Training, and items that have Stun Immunity help a lot (Amulet of Dark Whispers, Bloodied Scarf, Conductive Vest).

And as stated above, you're going to use a lot of top tier potions and scrolls. Those Circle of Restoration scrolls are pretty nifty. They are the biggest, if not only, reason for learning Magical Training.

The stun / paralysis mechanic is a bit odd. It might be the weakest part of the game mechanics. Heck, even Forum Elders don't really know if the Wiki explanation of the stun calculation is right. So, yeah there's room for a bit of frustration.

Lastly, sometimes Easy Mode lets players develop bad habits. Rather than going through the crucible of learning better tactics and tricks, easy mode can let players push through with less than ideal tactics. For most of the game, that isn't a problem, but when you come face off against the Undermother, the Carrion Lord or the Elmental Lord, etc ... well those bad habits cost you.

FUN FACT:

You don't need to take on the Undermother. Heck, you can just leave her till way late in the game. Come back with end game equipment, and an unlimited supply of end game potions.

There's no shame in picking-and-choosing where you get the black shards. That's one benefit for some many of them being in the game. Some classes and builds will really struggle against certain bosses. It's a balance thing.

Lastly, have you met the Void Lord, yet?

Kyoji

Nope , never heard about It but I guess Is a more difficult boss , right ?

VDX_360

Staff member
To put it delicately, I've been known to cuss out the Developer when taking on the Void Lord.

It's a hard, brutal boss after a long, hard, tedious dungeon -- one that recall doesn't work in, either. So if you die, you lose a lot.

In many ways, it's a great dungeon. Great idea, great monsters, great back story. Nice change of pace. But, it's about two laps too long to have such a strong boss at the end. So it's not quite there as ideal dungeons go.

And that comes around to the Undermother discussion.

She's a great boss. For a long time, she was the toughest boss in the game. (Keep in mind the game was developed over several years). As a placeholder for a final boss, she was great. A real challenge. But as content was added, including the true final bosses, and lots of side-quest bosses, The Undermother just doesn't fit in with the flow of the game.

She's just a huge step-up in difficulty, seemingly out of nowhere. And while the Developer has adjusted the game to smooth the transition from the early game to the mid-game, the Undermother stands out.

As you found out, new players can get blindsidded by this seemingly unstoppable killing beast. And pity those players who thought to take her on full force. Yeah, have fun banging on her hide with steel weapons.

A bit of a rant, but it all comes down to what you experieved first hand. She's a but overpowered for when you first reach her and there's not much warning of what's to come, esp if you're playing on an easier difficulty.

Love it, hate it, or just accept it -- she's a beast.

But, plenty of players have beaten her, even when she was basically impossible as late game equipment and skills weren't in yet.

The Developer has paid attention to feedback on the game, and continues to do so. He's currently focused on his next game but he still pokes his head in here once in awhile.

Kyoji

I understand and I have a question : if he show up sometimes ... then there Will be space for some other updates, right ?
( Really , even if sometimes I write down some runts , I like this game )

Atomos

A bit of a rant, but it all comes down to what you experieved first hand. She's a but overpowered for when you first reach her and there's not much warning of what's to come, esp if you're playing on an easier difficulty.
Are you kidding? She's a huge ancient beast that emanates an aura of power. Warnings don't get any better than that, and just like all superbosses she's entirely optional ;). If someone doesn't read the text, then it's not the fault of the game design ;)

VDX_360

Staff member
Sure, and I bet you think the warning outside of the King of Korne is sufficient, too? :)

I tend to agree there are hints in the game, but in context of modern gaming, every effing game talks about "ancient evil," or the "terrifying beast" for a side quest that turns out to be standard mini-boss fare.

The Undermother is the first top tier boss a player can stumble across --- and she's a billion levels higher than the mirmeks fight up to that point. So even an alert new player might expect her to be tough, but still be clueless about her true strength.

Heck, she makes dragons look tame.

Kyoji

I took down the King of Korne last week ( the huge minotaur LV 23 maybe , at the end of the Korn dungeon ) ...he was not so impossible like the Undermother , surely tremendous when he touches but not impossible at Easy mode .

I discovered a huge icy boss LV 23 in the forgotten hideout when I did cold Trail Quest .
I did not tried a lot on him cause I was focused on finish the Quest without pointless hard feelings .

Atomos

Sure, and I bet you think the warning outside of the King of Korne is sufficient, too? :)

I tend to agree there are hints in the game, but in context of modern gaming, every effing game talks about "ancient evil," or the "terrifying beast" for a side quest that turns out to be standard mini-boss fare.
Yep, that warning is pretty ok, but I just remembered about the boss from the Temple of Sleepers, so I have to say you're right :s. It's not a big deal though, 99% of players don't play on Ironman difficulty on their first playthrough, and repeating a dungeon is pretty moderate as a death penalty.

As for the scary rhetoric in other games: well, that's just cheesy storytelling, it helps distinguish between good game, and the best games 😁. EK is not guilty here