Guide Magma Dagger - A Tip That May Help

User guide, walktrough, instructions how to do something...

Kingmaker

Hi all,

If you are a Rogue or Light Warrior (i.e., AGI-based build), planning on facing the Trollfens early and in need of a dope fire weapon, I suggest going for the Magma Dagger.

This is the little brother of the Dancing Flame. You find it in the Gorge of the Silent Kings and it comes with advantages. First off, unlike the Dancing Flame, you needn't trigger a couple of quests (entry into 'The Temple of the Sleepers' is not simple) and then face large enemy hordes to gain access to this weapon - just walk in, take it and walk out (explained below). Secondly, it has an awesome DPS, same as Stiletto, and actually outmatches the Dancing Flame DPS-wise (Dancing Flame only has bigger damage/hit, so it plays well with Massive Criticals - that's the only reason it's the better weapon in the long run).

Location: Gorge of the Silent Kings. As soon as you're past the spot where you encounter Grur Ironscale, a path cuts to the right and leads to a dead-end. There, you'll find a chest with Magma Dagger (guaranteed loot).

How-To: Have a few potions of invisibility, one speed potion and one teleport scroll in your inventory. Evasion should be maxed. At least Lvl 13-14 recommended. The chest is guarded by Rexadons and, before that, you'll have to face Grur Ironscale and the Rexadons that he summons. Good news, no need to fight anyone - except a few Rexadons on your way to Grur's spot (so having some health potions will help).

1. As soon as Grur summons his minions, just run away from that spot (this may take a few tries; create a hard save first) and pop in an invisibility potion to escape.

2. Once you're safe, you'll now need to get past Grur and his Rexadons. Just run through their midst (use a speed potion here if required), then evade with an invisibility potion. Also mind the traps set in front of Grur (won't be an issue if you run past them with Evasion on).

3. The Rexadons guarding the chest is your last obstacle, but that's the easy part. Invisibility Potion -> Walk Past the Group -> Open the Chest -> Evasion -> Teleport.

I never tried this route with a warrior, so Evasion is out of the question. Maybe try luring the Rexadons away from the chest? With Grur and his minions, I think the same strategy can apply.

One last thing, the Wiki says that Grur drops Magma Dagger. He does, but it's not a guaranteed (and a very rare) drop.

Cheers.

EDIT: Regretfully, I stand corrected. The loot isn't guaranteed. In fact, drop chances from Grur or any of the chests in that area are stupidly low. Either we can attempt the method suggested by Apocalypse below - or (as I personally prefer now) just wait longer and go for Dancing Flame (harder route - but loot is guaranteed).

Last edited:

Kingmaker

Or just enter the Gorge of the Silent Kings and run to the nearest crate. After a few tries you'll get the Magma Dagger. I've done it on Level 1 with a potion of speed loll
Never knew this is obtainable so early. Which crate yielded the dagger for you? Could you specify the spot?

Apocalypse

Loreseeker
Never knew this is obtainable so early. Which crate yielded the dagger for you? Could you specify the spot?

Either locations will work. You'll need 1 potion of speed to reach the crate, then a 2nd potion of speed to escape with the Magma Dagger! The Rexadons are especially deadly, it's vey hard at low levels. But it's possible!

I don't know what's the % chance to find the dagger, but if I had to guess, I'd say it's around 5%. So be patient. Try, reload, reset the map, try again until you find it. It can take a while but it's worth it! Then, to play a true Pyromancer Warrior, buy a Flaming Hatchet in Nivarian and learn the skill Cleave. You'll become a walking flame-thrower!!! ;)

Kingmaker

Either locations will work. You'll need 1 potion of speed to reach the crate, then a 2nd potion of speed to escape with the Magma Dagger! The Rexadons are especially deadly, it's vey hard at low levels. But it's possible!
Jeez man, if only I knew. I'd have had a much easier time at early levels. My Rouge is Lvl 21 now. 😅

Thanks much for all the input. Will be useful at least if the need ever arises for a new run.