Move license from android to IOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Platform
iOS

tclifford7997

Hello,

I’ve owned the full license version of this game for years and just recently changed to iPhone. I signed into Google games account when I fired it up but it doesn’t recognize any license. Can this be done or would I be forced to buy it again?

Thanks!

VDX_360

Staff member
Apple and Google are infamously known for not playing nice with each other, which includes not sharing licensing across platforms. That's an Apple and Google call, and nothing to do with indie developers.

When you chose to switch to Apple, you chose to accept all of Apple's issues.

tclifford7997

I see that they do not have the capability to automatically transfer licensing. However I have seen from several sources (including other developers) that developers can themselves, when being kind, grant the license to the corresponding account on the other platform after verifying that it was purchased. Is that not something you guys are willing to do?

VDX_360

Staff member
Frist, for clarity, I am not a representative of Exiled Kingdoms. This is a public discussion forum. The Developer might comment, but that is totally up to him. You seem slightly mistaken on that point.

Second, Apple has a complicate mess of rules that govern promotional / discount codes can be given out by developers. Those rules limit how many such codes, and who can get them. The most crucial point is the "non-commercial" nature of such codes. Apple doesn't like Developers giving out free copies because Apple doesn't get it's cut. See Apple's Promo Code Overview. It's quite likely those other Developers ---if they even exist --- are in violation of Apple's rules and could be suspended from the Apple Market. So maybe don't throw them under the bus.

Third, discussing licensing policy, pricing policy, and begging, etc violate the forum rules. A public forum is not the place to have a debate with the Developer about the Developer's policies. It's just not productive. See above for just one of the reasons why. Treating this thread as an educational opportunity rather than just deleting it.

Lastly, due to compatibility issues, the Apple version of the game is different than the Steam / Google version of the game. The latter has a lot more content.

I hope this helps aid your Apple journey. Questions and concerns about Apple's policies are best directed to Apple.

Kind Regards

tclifford7997

You’re right I was mistaken thinking that someone who is labeled as staff and a moderator was the correct person to ask a support question. I had no way of knowing that you are not a representative of Exiled Kingdoms and I agree that I should direct my question at the developer. I thought that the support forum for Exiled Kingdoms would be the place to ask a representative of Exiled Kingdoms a question. As you so clearly stated, you are not a representative of Exiled Kingdoms so I have engaged in no debate with the developer about their policies. I do not have any questions or concerns about Apple’s policy and suggesting that I made up the fact that developers CAN grant licenses takes your condescension to the next level. If you were not the correct person to answer the question, a simple “here is how to contact the developer directly so that they can answer your question” would have been an appropriate response. Oh and it sounds like you think I owe you gratitude for allowing my thread to exist. Thank you so much.

Kind regards

VDX_360

Staff member
Your frustration is understandable. Personally, I think Google and Apple are abusing their monopiles to the detriment of the average consumer.

But, that is an issue to take up with Apple and Google, because it is very much their policies that are the problem.

So in summary:
You post is about a prohibited topic.
Your issue is with third parties.

As such, locking thread as the matter has been outlined as best as possible.

Feel encourage to contact Apple about its policy limiting cross-platform licensing.

Alan_SP

Staff member
Administrator
You did asked in a right place, and developer can read all content of this forum, so, contacting developer is done.

But, Google (Alphabet or something, not sure how they are called now) and Apple are two different companies, they don't share anything, they are just in similar business when it comes to mobile apps. But they are completely different platforms, you can't run software for iOS on Android (unless there's some emulators, which I'm not aware of) and vice versa. Same is with Steam and GOG, which have EK for PC.

I'm not aware of any company that have buy once, own on each platform policy, but it would be interesting to have something like that.

If you want to switch to different platform, you are forced to purchase license for any software. That's said, but it is how it is. We can't do much about it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.