Is there any benefit to having a high Mercian reputation?

DaleTilgo2022

I completed The Price of Freedom quest freeing the slaves which gave me a -9 Jabal rep and a -10 Mercia rep. I figured I'd have to wait until I had the gold and pay off both fines before doing any more Mercian quests to get the highest possible positive Mercian rep. I also assumed that merchants and quest givers in both towns wouldn't speak to me until I'd payed the fines.

It turned out that every NPC in both Jabal and Freetown were willing to speak to me and interacted normally even with my current negative rep. Is there any benefit to having a positive Mercian rep? Is there any benefit to having a Hero reputation in Mercia?

Atomos

-20 and below makes you a wanted criminal. Sydaryun and Jabal use both reputation of the town and kingdom to determine if they like you or not. Other than that, there's no benefit to good reputation, other than bragging rights on the forum (I got 72 in Mercia AND 49 with the Varannari btw ;x )

HaşmetliMert

Translator
...and kill a potential next Saint Admus in the process? Legionaire Gnulbam who shared a non poisoned drink with you? Very noble of you 👏
Like the old mercian saying, the wet burns along with the dry
Post automatically merged:    

This would also save the poor legion stuck in Elder Forest

DaleTilgo2022

-20 and below makes you a wanted criminal. Sydaryun and Jabal use both reputation of the town and kingdom to determine if they like you or not. Other than that, there's no benefit to good reputation, other than bragging rights on the forum (I got 72 in Mercia AND 49 with the Varannari btw ;x )

Your guide on how to get maximum rep in all four kingdoms was enlightening. How feasible is it to grind out that much gold? How do you get Varannari rep up to 49?

Atomos

Fines in Mercia and Ilmara are a minor inconvenience, since you can pay them whenever you feel like it. You just need to be careful not to reach that -20 rep.
Getting 26,4k for Thuram trick is a damn chore. It's bearable just because Thuram is a high level area, and you can do it later in the game.
As for Varannari rep: basically I complete all the quests in favour of Varannari, with diplomatic conclusion to the lost legion quest (you can reach 54 if you kill the Mercians instead), and there's a special green guy near Sydaryun that wants a wolf's pelt as souvenir.

p4ran0id

Staff member
There is no benefit but can be a Malus. If you're too rough to the slaves it can happen that some other quests won't be possible to solve in a good way 😉

DaleTilgo2022

My first character was an ethical warrior. For my second character I wanted to have a little more fun as a rogue. My rogue doesn't have a problem with stealing as long as it doesn't adversely affect the common man. From my rogue's perspective slavery doesn't benefit or bring profit to him. The other issue being that a less wealthy or well connected rogue could be thrown in those slave pits.

If there were an option in the game to free slaves my rogue might be interested. On the other side of the coin after so many successful slave breaks the Mercians would be open to paying you to stop freeing slaves(for a period of time).

Imagine breaking people out of prison for a fee. Breaking people out of prison anonymously and selling them to the highest bidder. My current rogue is like a combination of Jesse James and Han Solo but he could go darker if the circumstances were right.