1h warrior vs Parasite

Atlas1095

I really love this game, but I hate the final battle with the Parasite. I get repeatedly paralyzed and killed before I can chop it down to size and kill it. One on one I cannot beat it. I’ve beaten it when I had Foresaken allies, but not one on one. Everything else in the game is a breeze. My warriors have no problem with the Undermother and the Sewer of Horrors. But the Parasite is basically impossible.

What weapons, armor, skills, tactics, etc. am I missing?

I built my warrior up to lvl 26. 1000 hit points. Infantry training. Battle rage. I use a spirit potion and a giant strength potion at the start of the battle. Then I chug potions of restoration. I have great ashen armor and rings, etc. I use either the adamantite long sword or the EMP long sword. I also have the ankh of life.

I attack it, start to damage it, the potions are keeping me alive, then it paralyzes me. I activate battle rage. I keep fighting and chugging potions. Sooner or later, before I kill it (I’ve come close) it paralyzes me again and them it’s game over, dead.
screen shots of my warrior.

I’ll try to upload screen shots of my warrior.

Any suggestions would be most welcome, thank you!!!

VDX_360

Staff member
1-H Warriors and 1-H Clerics might have the toughest time with the Parasite. It's growth ability means it tends to win longer fights.

Having Forsaken, your sister, and a summon will help --- there's that iron golem summon you can get from the golem merchant. But if you lack that, use the best summons you can use. Every little bit counts. And if the parasite is targeting your summons, he's not targeting you.

The Amulet of Dark Whispers shines in that fight. It's stun immunity halves paralysis time. On that note, using some spirit equipment might help reduce the number of times and duration you get paralyzed.

Shock resistance doesn't matter in that fight. It's a toss up between how much spirit equipment will help compared to the advantages other end game equipment provides such as STR and END (end game cloaks have gotten nice). But shock resistance is not a factor.

Using top tier potions will help, but as you're finding out, that's not a cure-all. Try to make sure you start the fight with as much active as you can have active (buffs don't expire during the debate?).

It's doable with the equipment and set-up you have, but it will take a few tries. Best advice, get some spirit gear and try again.

Some people don't get the Amulet of Dark Whispers as a role-play decisions, or just common sense not to help the whispering evil statue. For warriors, that can be costly as they loose the lone piece of equipment that protects against stun / paralysis.

If you don't have the Amulet of Dark Whispers, try using the Symbol of the Three (if you're not already), or the Battle Gorget.

Atlas1095

Thanks! Three questions, please: Does the Amulet of Dark Whispers add its anti-paralysis effect on top of the Infantry Training anti-paralysis effect? If so, I definitely want to add that to my end-game build. Second, I have been under the impression that armor points are not worth sacrificing for spirit resistance, but I guess that's the wrong approach to the battle with the Parasite. Does lowering my armor to get more spirit resistance, e.g., with a different shield, make sense? Lastly, I play the iPhone version - is there a golem merchant? I don't recall, but maybe that's because I always play a warrior and don't focus on where the best magical equipment can be found. Thanks again!

VDX_360

Staff member
Oh, good catch.

1) Stacking Immunity: I --think-- Infantry Training and the Amulet of Dark Whispers DO NOT stack at this time. So using the Holy Amulet for the +20 Spirit is your best bet.

2) Armor vs. Spirit: The pro/cons of the discussion need to start with the fact that the Parasite is killing you because you're getting paralyzed. A few points of physical defense is a small price to pay to avoid getting paralyzed. We can do the math, and find out that the difference between having 50, 40 and 30 armor is you can survive 18, 16, and 14 hits, on average from the Parasite. So giving up one or two hits to avoid getting paralyzed is a small price to pay. You're using your end-game potions as fast as you can anyways... so what's a few hit points in this exact fight?

Note: While typing this post, I looked over the Wiki's page for spirit resistance. It seems someone made some curious edits that aren't helpful.
Short Version: get your spirit resistance high.

Atlas1095

Makes sense, I'll focus on spirit resistance and bring the extra gear with me and switch before the battle with the Parasite. Many thanks!