The Saga of the IM Mage

Neponde

The successor is slowly coming up, as I have not had as much time to play, and I had a few false starts as I was experimenting and being reckless.

Back to slow and steady wins the race. Will update again when I'm back at shards of fate.

Neponde

Have begun the shards of fate again.
Doing more townhall runs this time, being slow and careful for the most part.

Going to try farming the orc lair soon. Last time i ran mage, I leveled from 11-14 in about 2 hours doing so. I had iron golem at that point though...

Similar build as last time.. But a little less defensive oriented. Kill em while Griss is still up.

Post automatically merged:    

Equipping Griss with the orcslicer, while wielding the elemental storm, you can clear the orc mob in seconds. Its a thing of beauty.

Alas, farming the orc king on ironman is not so lucrative, so I'll have to continue my slow trudge onward.

Last edited:

Neponde

Well, that was exciting.
Burned a lot of potions to arrive, but I made it.

Icemist, here I come.
Ironically, i have no money left to get summoner skills and reset.
Back to orc lair for a couple hours, I guess.

Unless someone has a better suggestion for an ironman mage lookin for some shinies.

And we have arrived. Even without summoner, will be much easier using towers to travel through the country.

Last edited:

Neponde

I'm having a lot of fun with elemental storm mage. The wands have an added benefit of kicking aggro back onto Griss. I suspect this wont work with enemies immune to knockback, but its amazingly helpful otherwise.

I decided to level up a bit at orc lair before I started to bigger challenges. Now I feel ready to (safely) engage in the shard hunt, rather than always be terrified for my life.

Think I'll first make a dash for that spirit wand in the Crimson Hills, then i have my boss-wand ready.

I may attempt to get the bag of holding too. Carrying so many pots really limits the loot potential.

Neponde

Took a couple days off, and returned to put morfados to rest. This run, i grabbed the remains, and interred them in the same visit. It was taxing, and i burned a handful of potions (4 lesser manas, 3 lesser health, and 5 deepfrost, and 2 speeds.)

One thing I'm discovering is this build is *fast*. You clear rooms very quickly, burn mana quickly, burn potions quickly. High octane.

Summoner mage (from what I recall) is efficient, slower, methodical, and safe.

Maybe I'll switch soon.

Or maybe not 😁.

I did goof and forget to change my gear for death resistance, which made that run spectacularly more painful than it should have been...

Neponde

Got myself the bag of holding, the apple tree wand, and got Griss a fancy new toy too.

Castle bluerock is not fun as a squishy mage. The welcoming committee is no joke. And once again, I forgot to bring death resistance, so getting the sonnet proved almost fatal, and I had to flee for my life when faced down against a witch going for the necromancy tomes. I got all geared up for the abandoned tower, so have all my toxic and lighting gear on.

I got Gate to facilitate ease of transport around doing some midlevel quests. Yes, its superfluous, but one of the most irritating things for me is the travel.

Still haven't managed to pick up a single shard yet. I'm thinking a certain lady has it coming soon though... I want her tiara.

Also avenged my first mage. Squicky princess..

Think I'll respec to staff summoner soon. Elemental mage is amazing at farming and clearing mobs, but its boss game is relatively weak. And the midgame is all about the bosses.
Maybe one more level, and then I can get the first level of arcanist too.

Neponde

The transfer has occurred. We are now a summoner mage.

I went with disintegrate instead of arcanist for now, as I've never played with disintegrate before. Give it a whirl, see what happens.

Post automatically merged:    

Initial impressions are actually negative. I feel way more vulnerable with staff over wand. The knockback was immensely useful. The golem tears it up, dont get me wrong, but I'll definitely need to adjust to staff.

With wand, every knockback 'reset' aggro, and griss naturally was between me and the enemy at that point, so she always took aggro (except for very fast enemies like wolves, or ranged foes). I rarely even took a hit till she dropped. The staff doesn't do that, so I have to always position myself with Griss and the golem between them and me, and "push" them into aggro.

I'm considering eating the massive gold dump, and resetting to wand.

Last edited: