Help without dying on Ironman

Atlas1095

I have yet to play all the way through without dying, even on easy mode. It amazes me the someone can do it on iron man mode. I would pay to watch a video of that play through. I play warriors with Griss as my main companion. From what I have read, I need to make Hirge my main companion. We’ll see, that’s what I’m doing now. Warrior lvl 13 so far. But it seems to me that you have to slog through the game a few times to figure out the most likely areas where you will die, then try again without dying. But replaying the early stages (up to around lvl 10 or so) over and over gets boring and dispiriting. I really enjoy the game, but it is too hard. Some players don’t seem to mind dying over and over. I’ve watched some of their videos online. But I absolutely hate dying. It spoils the game for me and I have to restart. A truly “easy” level would be a great option. Let the masochists play a harder level. The main problem is how quickly your character can get over his head and die. If you don’t see the danger right away, no efforts to escape will work. That totally sucks. Also how unpredictable it can be. You can have a tank character that is mowing down enemies but then, boom, you come across something that kills you before you can realize what is happening. And don’t get me started about being paralyzed over and over. Even infantry training won’t prevent that. This is a game, for crying out loud. Why not have the character walk into a dungeon and then have a random 10-ton weight fall on his head? If you’re lucky you don’t get the weight and live, otherwise you die. This is how the game, ultimately, feels to me. Heads you live, tails you die. All the playing and grinding and thinking and planning mean nothing at the end. Sigh....

VDX_360

Staff member
Quit rage is real so if you need to take a break, take it. Come back to the game with fresh eyes.

When Players are dying too much, it tends to be due to a combination of two factors: Thinking the game is just about rushing through it pushing a button, or misunderstanding a game mechanic. Let's tackle those two points.

First, the game is supposed to be a bit of challenge. And while it may seem counter intirutue, I think Easy mode is more a problem for struggling players. They end up depending on the regen factor rather than adapting and learning the game. Play Normal mode and learn the game.

Second, Sometimes little adjustments to a character build can make a world of difference. Sharing your build might allow the forum to offer feedback.

Stun / Paralyze is a pain. And believe it or not, the Game Developer actually made it easier. It was really, really bad. There are only a few places where you can get stun-locked. And for the most parts, those places come with a warning. There are ways to adjust your build, or combat tactics to help take on those challenges.

The game is designed around the idea of being a more challenging game in the spirit of old RPG games.

Atlas1095

I should add that I’ve made it up to lvl 24 before dying. Always warrior (shield, infantry training style). I feel I know how to play the game well enough to survive. I know the mechanics, tricks, etc. I’m thinking that I just have the wrong character/companion strategy. Most people recommend playing as a cleric in the fighters guild with Hirge as companion. Is that really the formula to make it all the way to the end? Or maybe one mistake and hours and hours of real time is wasted. Ugh. This game is a drug. Addicting and bad for you at the same time!

VDX_360

Staff member
Numerous combinations of class, builds and Companions have beaten the game on all difficulties -- including Iron Man. So it's not about a magic formula so much as assessing the pros and cons of each combination.

Also, I dislike discussions about "prefect" or "best" builds as they often become pedantic. The goal is to help get the build you like to play through the game.

A Warrior Cleric with a Healing Hirge: This is often cited as a pretty durable, easy to use combo. The Cleric's ability to heal makes the game a lot easier, and being in the Warrior guild allows learning Heavy Hand / Duel which give the class some much needed damage output.

For Ironman, the Cleric's ability of Intervention is a prefect fit to negate permadeath. Just don't run out of mana. Or get stuck in a unwinnable fight.

There are a few late game dungeons that can be skipped. So if you want to save the world on Ironman, maybe leave the Sewers and Ancient Ones alone. Save the world, than pick a fight with those baddies. You only need 12 shards...

On a personal note, I dislike Ironman settings on games. I personally don't enjoy the idea of one mistake wiping out dozens of hours of play. It's just not my thing. And I'm hesitant of having it at all because it just encourages people to find ways to hack/alter/get around the perma death aspect. A death counter seems a much better idea......

Molokot

Generaly if u want to play iron man , you should earlier clear whole content on hard and master all kind of fights. Then when you try iron man, dont rush things and go to evry place way overleveled, and get yourself ankh of life or whatever its called for 50k from cleric city.
And thats it, you can do it with any character, as long as you like to play it, and you are good with that specific setup.
Just one of main reasons, for why this game is outstandingly good, is that you need to be focused in combat, because even if you have best gear and know what you are doing, if you loose focus for few sekonds, you can die.

Lee3345

iron man is my biggest challenge, I'm determined to finish the game in this mode, many obstacles try to stop me, traps, incredibly strong bosses, my potions running out, something unexpected happening (like the enemy hit critical damage and leave you with the low life), and several other factors.
But what determines me to achieve this, is that few people have achieved this, when I finish the game in iron man, and I'm going to do that, I'm going to make sure everyone I know knows about this feat.

Commiades

On a personal note, I dislike Ironman settings on games. I personally don't enjoy the idea of one mistake wiping out dozens of hours of play. It's just not my thing. And I'm hesitant of having it at all because it just encourages people to find ways to hack/alter/get around the perma death aspect. A death counter seems a much better idea......
I agree. A death counter is what I want too.

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
And I'm hesitant of having it at all because it just encourages people to find ways to hack/alter/get around the perma death aspect. A death counter seems a much better idea......

David provided the hack, just save your Saves to the Cloud or local storage. A death counter is just a number, "oh your number is slightly different to mine" can never match the sheer intensity of almost dying on Ironman at high level. Gambling is not fundamentally about the game, it's always about the stakes.

Commiades

David provided the hack, just save your Saves to the Cloud or local storage. A death counter is just a number, "oh your number is slightly different to mine" can never match the sheer intensity of almost dying on Ironman at high level. Gambling is not fundamentally about the game, it's always about the stakes.
True, but I'm still relearning habits and playing on Hard without dying has changed how I play a lot. I'm doing quests in a different order, and I'm trying to avoid being careless while travelling (have died from a stray spider spit in the past).

It's good for my health too - I'm not playing for as long, as I don't want to get tired and careless...