Stuck in the Arc / Sewer of Horrors.

Martin

I'm finding the sewer of horrors and the ark of lothasan extremely difficult. As mentioned before, I'm not a gamer, but I am getting really fed up having to keep doing the same shite over and over again. My dps is only 36 at level 23 rogue. What have I missed? Help please.

Mod Note: Slightly edited thread to better reflect nature of discussion.

VDX_360

Staff member
First, quit rage is real. So feel encouraged to take a sanity break. I promise you, those pesky Steel Wizards will wait for you.

Second, misunderstanding game mechanics is a common theme for your previous posts. So let's see if that is playing a role, here.

Do you have End Game equipment yet? The stuff found in the Arc? It has high-tech sounding names. It's geared to the damage types / weakness of the arc. Steel Spiders hit with high physical damage. Steel Wizards hit with pure shock energy. Both are weak against shock damage. So using equipment that helps with those is important until you get an end-game set.

The Bloodied Scarf is a great item to help with getting stunned. The Amulet of Dark Whispers helps too but Rogues don't have that much HP to spare.

The Evasion skill for Rogues is quite useful in fights where it's just you (i.e. most of the Arc).

The Rogue skill Stab is also useful as it lets you deal a large amount of damage to help even the fight.

And if you get the Arc bow, Rogues can shoot some enemies though the wall. It's seem unfair, but those Steel Wizards aren't fair. A robot in against a guy with a bread knife? Yeah, fair went out the window a long time ago.

Luring Steel Spiders and Steel Wizards off so you can fight them one on one is very useful. You might have to retreat a bit to get one to come far enough away it's a lone but it's worth it. Not only does fighting them one-on-one make them much easier, it's makes it much easier to dodge the death blast. It's a bit of a pain when you're pinned down by a few and you're like, "yep, if they don't kill me, the first one that explodes will."

So best advice for the Arc is to go into it with some items from the Sunkin Citadel (Leggins of Shadows, Galade potions) and survive as you find Arc equipment (armor, weapons). Getting the trait improvements and the power belt help, too. But really, the first few attacks on the Arc should be about getting the feel of the enemies and getting loot.

The Arc is the last part of the game and is designed to be tough. But. it's doable.

The Sewer of Horrors was added to the game as a post-game ultra dungeon. It's long. It's hard. And you have to do it in one run. And just screw the Lord of the Pit. He's optional, so do what any good Rogue does and just run by him. No seriously, just run past that demon. Worry about him a next life.

Martin

As always VDX I really appreciate your help. I'm pretty much doing what you've said. I just don't think I'm doing enough damage. Please have a look a my rogue and tell me if I can change anything to improve him.
Post automatically merged:    

Last edited:

ajay

Can you post an allocation of your traits and skills? That would allow us to help tune your build. If you want that kind of help. Here one of my rogues before heading into Ark.

VDX_360

Staff member
It looks like you got a pretty good equipment send going into the ark.
Lightning Dirk might give you better damage out put against the Steel enemies in the Arc, but stun chance from off-hand weapons is really nice, too. I might suggest you get a stack of shock resistance potions. They'll jump your shock resistance up to 161, which will take a little damage off of Steel Wizard attacks.

I also suggust picking up some Scrolls of Recall. Leaving the Ark with your goods is rather important. Expect to make a few trips into the Ark. With the warp statue active at the Sunken Citadel, it's pretty quick trip back.

So if you're really struggling, it's either something odd with your skill allotments, or you're haven't figured out the rhythm of the ark yet. As stated above you can post a screen shot of your skills if you want feed back on that. As for getting better at the ark, the best advice is to take it slow and fight enemies one at a time, using corners and doorways to your advantage (letting enemies get stuck out of reach, not aggro-ing too many enemies).

If you do it slow, you should be able to start finding batteries and raiding ark chests. That will start to give you end-game equipment.

ajay

And as far as going slow, this is a mechanics issue. I am not sure how you pull mobs, but try body pulling when you can to separate mobs rather than range pulling. It works really well for me. I try to allow the mobs to separate naturally and let them agro on me rather than shooting them with arrows. It takes a little bit of camera distance and pathing timing.

Martin

VDX and Ajay. Thank you. Great suggestions there. Particularly the one about warping in and out to save progress. I've posted my skills above for your input.

Hey guys. Bought a bunch of teleport scrolls. Brilliant. Loving the game again.

Got the green card and teleported out. Still not finding any nice armour or weapons thought ☹

Last edited:

ajay

Hey Martin, bear with me. I am posting on my phone. I hope you don't mind me giving you some recommendations regarding gear, traits and skills.

This is what I would change if I were in your shoes to take in Ark without Ark gear.

Gear:
MH, Adamantine Shortsword
The other stuff looks good for now. You will learn how to optimize as you grind Ark.

Traits (these are without gear bonuses)
STR, bump it up by one to keep it odd and get the light weapons bonus dph due to your gloves.
END, drop it to 4. That is the max a rogue needs until AGI and STR are maxed.
AWA, you can drop to 1 and rely on gear to get it to 3 unless you want a particular ending.

Skills:
Class & General Skills:
Max Evasion
Drop Traps, Sprint and Recovery

Advanced Skills:
Train and Max Precision Strikes
Train and Max Massive Criticals
Train and Max Body Development
Blood Lust is the last priority for DPS utility
Maybe delete the resistance skills

Screenshots of the builds I run. These are after Ark but only my gear changed. My traits and skills increased as I leveled.

ajay

Also, I would try to farm large batteries to save/recharge your recovery button instead of recalling out of Ark until you fill your inventory to farm gold. Because the holy visions grind is real. IIRC, you can get the scalpel to drop on the main floor, but the armors are in the reactor level.