The Shamans' Way: New play diary (Summoner Cleric)

Kakost

I hear you.

What I do to save myself the inanity of farming is a townhall quest or two periodically. I then use that as the excuse to clean out the dungeon. Gets me some xp, and a few thousand extra gold. If they are scattered through my runs, its not so bad. (Pick the townhalls that require recovery of a lost tome or ring or something to that effect.)
Yeah, I did a few TH quests but just so that I would get 40 rep with Varsilia, thus my runbys where "get in/get out" rather than dungeon clearing. My time to play is really short, so Im doing a real fast play - sadly that leads me to be badly poor early on. On the other hand thou, my XP increases pretty fast.

That adds a new layer of difficulty, because the items I have are the ones I find, and I barely have any consumables at all (and the meager ones I get I hoard instead of spending on a whim). For example, I had to spend ALL my small hp and mana potions I found; right now I have 5 mid hp potions which I dont bring with me. Those are hoarded for "future use".

This means I have to adapt my playstyle as well, particularly playing IM, to play in as "kitting mode" as possible with whichever class I play - constantly pushing Griss in front of me, running in and out, and overall maximizing gains and cutting losses. Every single small hp potion I ever used was a pain in my stomach.

But you get used to it, and adapt, and instead of appearing to be a hard thing to do, it just becomes normal

Neponde

But you get used to it, and adapt, and instead of appearing to be a hard thing to do, it just becomes normal
I get it too. These days, I'm lucky to have 10-15 mins in the day for any game-related activities.

Kakost

Fort Assault and Important Research done.

Now Im at lvl 10, which enabled me to get Int 3, which enabled me to get Summon Wolf.

And I already had 2 skill points in reserve because I had no other skill I wanted. So my Wolf already went straight to lvl 2

Now, Im in a funny situation where I'll actually play a Cleric upon which my highest trait will become Int for a while, because my next 4 points I'll save to get from Int 3 to Int 4, since it will get me 1 extra mana/lvl just the same as it would increasing Per (since Int gives 1 mana/lvl for every 2 points in it, but Int 3 gives nothing), and Int also increases my Perception every 2 points, thus Int 4 at this point became my best choice for improving next.

Only afterwards will I keep increasing Per only.

As for skills, do you think I should go for Summoner or Battle Prayer first?

I don't even know where to get Battle Prayer, is it in Nivaria? If that's the case, I'll need to do a bunch of Nivarian quests to get the necessary rep to enter the temple, and also the needed rep with the Church of the Three.

But Summoner I'll need to get to Icemist just the same, so regardless for the next few levels I'll have nothing to spend my skill points at (and I dont want Wolf 3 just yet, too mana expensive right now)

Neponde

As for skills, do you think I should go for Summoner or Battle Prayer first?
Take it for what its worth, but rank 2 summoner is only 2 skill points. Battle prayer level 2 is 3 skill points. Battle prayer would aid your companion too.

Either way, I would bump them both to 2 before maxing either out.

Kakost

Take it for what its worth, but rank 2 summoner is only 2 skill points. Battle prayer level 2 is 3 skill points. Battle prayer would aid your companion too.

Either way, I would bump them both to 2 before maxing either out.
That's some good advice there. Thanks, I'll do precisely that.

My little pet has already made it's debut:

It has been a massive help against an orc raiding party (random encounter) that took me by surprise while I was going to hunt some Minos for the Warrior's guild. And then, it helped me against the Minos too.

The Wolf is incredible! Really really strong, Im baffled at it, and I can barely wait to see this little magic baby in action juiced up with some Summoner and Battle Prayer, and hopefully with some Flames of Faith pumping pyrotechnics into the fray!

I can already see that this build is indeed pretty pretty solid all around.

Yes, I guess that mid to late game I can ditch heal in favor of Flames of Faith, and it will be fully done, and I can see it's very powerful all around.

If I can also get Beast Master it will become simply "divine"...
Post automatically merged:    

Damn this wolf is so freaking good, and it's only lvl 10! (Note: I just learned a new lesson. I was so eager to get it that I forgot that it cant have a higher lvl than my own, not without Summoner. Thus, the lvl 1 Wolf by now would suffice. What can I do, it happens).

It really is very very good, and it's a very very different playstyle from Summoner Mage for instance.

Now I have to think on my next moves because Im a little lost and uncertain about where to go next. Oh, the good ol' mid game limbo... Always gets to me.

To get over the Trolls I would need some invisibility/sprint potions... I cant force my way in just yet (yes, I tried), and at the same time, no gold and no desire to spend it.

I think I'll go to New Anhur to save Laertes and do the other quests there. Or I could try Nivaria... Hmm I have to see where can I buy Battle Prayer

Last edited:

Kakost

You need to travel pretty far north. No rep prereq.
Damn, it needs Per 5.

I'll leave Int at 3 for now, once I deal with lady Xidar I'll gain her +1 Int crown, thus staying with 4. Later on when I get the +2 item I'll buy Int 4. Right now I'll need to get to that Per 5, damn so many things to buy...

Yeah, Battle Prayer is in the temple at Nivaria, but I'll need Per 5 so it's gonna take a while still.

Kakost

The World is a Stage is completed

This was super easy, with my other classes I actually struggled to get through this mission at the same lvl, mostly because of the paralysis from the theurge frogs, but with the wolf this was really super super easy. I didnt struggled at all, and I did it at lvl 10, where I usually do at lvl 11/12!

And I just went lvl 11 (thanks to this mission and the one from... Jericho? That asks for the plant you find on Inori desert).

Since this has been so successful, I'll try to rescue the frog princess and do "you-know-what" with her, I wouldnt try it with other classes/builds at such low lvl, but after this one Im feeling very confident into doing it.

And now I saved the Frog Princess and I did "you-know-what" with her, and I also finished the quest to get Chitin carapaces to gain an anti paralysis shield.

Those were... A little harder, but still easy. Harder because at one time I remained paralysed for so long that I actually died to that treacherous frog uncle usurper...

...but Intervention saved me, obviously.

And my pet and my wolf killed him for me (my pet is Griss, obviously... What? My wolf is my companion!)

Im truly amazed at how good this wolf is. Even while paralyzed (so annoying), my teammates would still step in to save the day.

And boy, oh boy! I havent even got Battle Prayer yet! Nor Summoner! Much less Flames of Faith!

And, lately I havent even used Sacred Fire anymore! It's truly just me and my wolf! (Oh yes, and Griss, I havent forgotten about you my love, my preciousss).

Just the holy Triad of pain, the sacred avatars of the Three in action, and several heals. I really feel like the support of the team! Damn, this build is so good, why havent anyone told me of this absolutely cheating overpowered and broken build before?

I almost feel bad playing this, it feels like playing on Easy mode!

Praised be the Three in all their mercy!

So, I decided it was about time to reach Icemist. And I decided to start by going into the Vorators cave... Yeah, bold move.

In my defense thou, I thought I only needed Int 3 to activate the rune to send me back... Obviously I was gravely mistaken, and I needed 4. Ok, so now Im trapped in this cursed cave, knowing all too well what was waiting for me in there.

My wolf was my savior, but that was a very very close call. After killing the first Vorators and looting the book I had to take, I proceeded to meet a certain golem which I knew I couldnt take. So, after letting Griss fall asleep, I let him chase me to the where I entered, only to summon my wolf savior to keep it busy and wake Griss up and get the hell out... Still, the cave was no joke. I used 2 small hp potions I had with me and a Cognac, plus the major hp and mid mana potions I found in the cave.

Then, by the end I took a wrong turn, ending up facing 2 lvl 12 Vorators at once, that killed my wolf and put Griss to sleep... By the end, with 15 hp, I had to run in circles, waiting for Griss to wake up and come to save me...

After leaving the cave I took no chances, immediately using a Scroll of Recall which... sent me to Fogas. Great. So far away. But at least Im alive and kicking.

Phew. That was a close one. Again, I must stop acting so bold and arrogantly all the time.

Nevertheless, it's time to face some trolls. I really want myself some Summoner skill.

Last edited:

Gr8Scott

I don't even know where to get Battle Prayer, is it in Nivaria? If that's the case, I'll need to do a bunch of Nivarian quests to get the necessary rep to enter the temple, and also the needed rep with the Church of the Three.
You can enter the hall in Navaria once Three vs Eleven is complete and you join the Cleric Guild. The rune in the back room of the New Garand temple transports you to the Hall. Battle Prayer and Flames of Faith skills are learned there.

Kakost

Finally, Icemist:

Full lvl 3 Summoner already - I had nothing I wanted to invest, so I had 4 skill points in reserve, and I just went to lvl 13, making it the 6 skill points to get Summoner 3 and Gate 2.

No Battle Prayer yet, I still need 20 rep with Ilmara in order to do so.

Now it's time to hunt for the Amulet of Dark Whispers