Mist Bow. What a let down.

Artemis Leafarrow

Hello

Just got Mist bow from quest. Per the wiki it supposed to do more dps than Wyrmslayer, but it makes my dps go DOWN from the Wyrmslayer bow. I though it would be leaps and bounds ahead of Wyrmslayer but no.

Weird. I guess recurve is really only end game bow truly

Xen

Loreseeker
It is because Mist Hunter bow isn't really for good DPS, better to use Composite Bow if you want to penetrate the armor. IMHO Mist Hunter Bow is just for situational use against Ghost and Spiders if you've not reached the Ark yet.

Atomos

Misthunters bow is good for killing enemies weak to shock damage, and before you find Ion recurve, you'll be literally dying to have one ;D. Besides, it's better in terms of damage per hit than wyrmslayer. If you fight difficult armored enemies, then Misthunters bow isn't all that bad, and performs well when you need it the most ;)

p4ran0id

Staff member
Artemis Leafarrow":2dkej2rd said:
Hello

Just got Mist bow from quest. Per the wiki it supposed to do more dps than Wyrmslayer, but it makes my dps go DOWN from the Wyrmslayer bow. I though it would be leaps and bounds ahead of Wyrmslayer but no.

Weird. I guess recurve is really only end game bow truly

Mist Bow has a lower speed but higher damage. With archer skill the basic damage is better, that's why whyrmslayer has higher dps with your character lvl up (damage increases, speed is multiplyer). But it doesn't mean, that it's better or worse, that's the nice thing with this game!
You also have armor, that means that the basic damage get subtracted(so the dmg loss gets also multiplied by speed). Fighting a boss with high armor, the composite bow beats whyrmslayer even with lower dps!

Also there is different resistance to the elements. Fighting undead works much better with mystic then Wyrmslayer. Also it a must have for the Arc, you won't make it there with Wyrmslayer.

Tl;Dr dps doesn't say much about the real damage ;)

VDX_360

Staff member
Keep in mind the game has unfolded a lot the last few updates so what for a year or two was the most-amazing-bow-must-have-it weapon, may have lost some of it's luster as new areas and new weapons came out.

Mist Hunter has a higher damage per hit (4-8, +5 bolt) and a slower speed (11) compared to the Wyrmslayer (1-5, +2 fire, speed 15). Keep in mind that agility, awareness or archer skills will impact damage-per-hit, making the faster speed a more defining quality for DPS calculations.

The Wrymslayer also has Beast Killer Slayer 2, and Vicious 2, which gives a nice damage bonus against animals and enemies less than 30% health. So when fighting a low HP animal, it's a +8 to damage, which makes the damage per hit 9-13, +2 fire.

Overall, a decent archer build will find the Wyrmslayer a more effective bow in most situations, but the Mist Hunter will be useful against enemies weak against bolt.

http://www.exiledkingdoms.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bow

Nivarian99

Overall, a decent archer build will find the Wyrmslayer a more effective bow in most situations, but the Mist Hunter will be useful against enemies weak against bolt.
ok, so I am reviving an old post, do not know what the rules around that are, but having just got the Wyrmslayer, i have a question: the description says wyverns flee in terror, so does it mean Wyverns are considered animals/semi-animals?

The wiki says they are giants. So does the wymslayer actually make them flee in terror?

VDX_360

Staff member
That's a great question. I can't give a 100% guaranteed correct answer. I -think- at one time dragons were in the beast category, but than were removed to help make them more dangerous. But, I could be wrong and they might be under that as semi-animals.

The game doesn't have a feat mechanic. So no, the bow doesn't make dragons flee. At one time, it was the strongest bow in the game.

Lamar

Depending on your skills that's probably the best or 2nd best due to speed, fire damage and vicious. Unless you're fighting fire enemies. I use that and Jester's Bow.

See the list of High Class bows sorted by dps.

Nivarian99

Depending on your skills that's probably the best or 2nd best due to speed, fire damage and vicious. Unless you're fighting fire enemies. I use that and Jester's Bow.

Ah the famous Jester bow! i managed to get it when I was playing mage, but not yet as a rogue. I am assuming Jester's wins simply on speed, because its attacks stats are abysmal not to mention its complete absence of any elemental attributes!