What does your forum user name mean?

JediNxf7

My name is Carlos Augusto Teles Costa - unlike in english where most people just have a firstname and a surname, here in Brazil it is quite common to have a first name, a second name and at least 2 surnames, one from the mother and one for the father, and some have SEVERAL surnames (the second brazilian emperor was the human being with the longest name in human history, with 21 surnames if Im not mistaken - Dom Pedro de Alcantara e Bragança... And a ton other surnames from several portuguese and other european noble families).

So, most of my characters are named "Karl", which is the germanic version of my own first name, because I like how it sounds.

So, to match up with the germanic form, I also do the same with the rest - Karl August Tell Kost. Not exactly fully germanic (August is saxonic), but the two with best germanic sound is "Karl Kost", and it also keeps my first and last names, better combining the tradition of 2 names, and also being easier to use.

So, to combine the two, I use "Kakost" (Karl+Kost).

That's it, just my own name "derivated 3 times", nothing too special.

Sometimes for RPG games, when I use female characters, I like to use "Kyra", because it's the name of my (female) cat. That name I gave her because when she was a baby, her ears were so big that they looked like a bat, so "Kyra" is derivative from "Quiropter" (the Family of bats - sorry if it's misspelled, Im not sure if that's how it's written in english)
in English (well, Greek, but also the Latin of English-speaking scientists referring to taxonomy) it's Chiroptera :)

the convention in English is to preserve the etymological spelling rather than modify it to reflect phonetics. so the Portuguese word is spelled how you say it, while the English word is spelled how a Greek speaker would have said it if they knew how Greek letters were transposed into Latin orthography lol

DaleTilgo2022

OH yes, I'll never forget the song of the internet :cool:

It's not even the worst part, back then (grandpa tell you old stories) you have too choose between telephone and internet, no flatrate, you had to pay per minute (and that can get really expensive, my record was 200 for one month ;))

Right after I graduated high school a local dial up number was introduced in my area. Up until that point I wasn't going to pay long distance for a connection although I had a friend who did.
But the best part on lan parties was the training, you had to take the tube monitor to a lan party first! I had a 21" tube and that was a great training just to get till a lan party! Kiddies nowadays won't understand that with their flat screens and laptops XD

I can remember seat belting a monitor and mid tower into a car. IMO the best thing about LAN parties was establishing grounds rules for play and then being able to get up and punch offenders. Nowadays you can't teleport to punch a flagrant cheater.
Post automatically merged:    

Dale Tilgo was the first random name that the game assigned me and I first played the game in 2022. Now that I have so many posts under this name it just seems wrong to change it. Since the game isn't multiplayer I usually stick with whatever random name is generated.

Last edited:

p4ran0id

Staff member
@DaleTilgo2022 well we never slapped one, but was more funny to see how they get crazy and throw their mouse or keyboard through the room after a headshot. You don't have that feeling with online games

DaleTilgo2022

@DaleTilgo2022 well we never slapped one, but was more funny to see how they get crazy and throw their mouse or keyboard through the room after a headshot. You don't have that feeling with online games

That made me laugh hard. If I was ever completely outmatched in a game I'd bow out gracefully. I can remember a friend who no one could beat at Street Fighter Alpha 3 or Marvel vs. Capcom 2. What I've seen is the telephone tough guy turn into the internet tough guy turn into the online gaming troll. I know people who mute their headsets for that very reason.

p4ran0id

Staff member
That made me laugh hard. If I was ever completely outmatched in a game I'd bow out gracefully. I can remember a friend who no one could beat at Street Fighter Alpha 3 or Marvel vs. Capcom 2. What I've seen is the telephone tough guy turn into the internet tough guy turn into the online gaming troll. I know people who mute their headsets for that very reason.
At big LAN parties even that happened sometimes. We had own ways to get rid of cheaters 😎