Spoilers A Dead God: which reward is better

Thread contains spoilers about game content

Kakost

So, while I shit my pants to enter the Ark, Im doing every other quests in the game (besides SoH and Temple of the Ancients that is), and I decided to finally do the Dead God, which the forum suggests to be lvl 21 if Im not mistaken. And this was super easy. I was a bit anxious knowing from the Wiki Oracle that there would be a trap - and indeed that could be letal, even with them being puny esqueletons, but all it took was a single Combustion.

Anyway, now Im wondering, do I choose the +2 Per ring or 1 extra skill?

Im more inclined towards the ring, since I love raising my traits... This means 20+ extra mana (plus +10 death +4 spirit resistances as a consequence, and Gossip too).

For skill points, I always feel I can just get one more lvl...

Oh, and Im lvl 23 now. Getting pretty powerful.

So, what do you guys prefer?

Atomos

My personal ranking of the rewards for this quest:
Broken Crown of Tol > Ring of the Bishop > Skill point

I do however recommend choosing the last option at least once for lore purposes. Be careful not to mess it up though ;)

VDX_360

Staff member
Death.

Death is technically a quest reward option.

End the game, end your struggle, let the parasite and vampires fight it out.

Kakost

It needs 260 death resistance to stop the constant life sucking isnt it? Unless Im ok with the constant dripping of health, which wouldnt hinder me all that much at this point, but I know myself, Im a perfectionist, this would enerve me to the point of madness. Besides, I use the Crown of Galade for my +2 Int already.

But I can see how a +30 Spirit resistance could be so so sweet.

Guess I'll take the ring. On my next play I'll help Tol (he "Ascends" says the wiki. That got me curious, but this time I need to max out)
Post automatically merged:    

Death.

Death is technically a quest reward option.

End the game, end your struggle, let the parasite and vampires fight it out.
I did wander if dying by the Crown has some other interesting interaction, given the description in the box that appears "you slowly turn into a specter". But I'll let that test for when I play Rogue or Warrior on Hard and can use a save (I do not dare to play IM without Mage Armor)

Atomos

Let's see:
- Violet Amulet - 15
- Sandals of the Saint - 15
- Ring of the Unlife - 30 (x2)
- Undermother's Hide - 10
- PER 4 - 20
That should make that crown bearable ;)

Apocalypse

Loreseeker
@Kakost
174 death resist is enough to reduce Crown damage to zero, if I remember correctly! It's achievable. I've played a "High Priest of Tol" cleric with a full set of Tolassian armor and the crown on his head! It was fun :)
(There's also a leather armor that grants +25 death resist, you can buy it in Fogas. And don't forget about the +40 death resist ring from the dragon treasure in Gorth Lair!)

But beyond the fun and cool lore, wearing the crown is not worth it. Getting the ring seems the best reward for your character!

VDX_360

Staff member
It's fairly easy to get the Crown's death damage down to zero, or basically zero. End Game builds running around with 800 to 1,000 health don't need to worry about a few points of death damage.

Atomos

@Apocalypse getting that crown for fun playthrough is all well and good, but getting it and maximising your death resistance instead of spirit, just for the sake of avoiding damage, is like spreading butter with a sharp knife ;)

ajay

For me, the crown has been outdone with the introduction of the bear cloak. I would give Hirge the crown for min maxing, but I haven't picked it up yet to see if it hurts the wearer or the PC. It's great how this game always makes you choose between unique rewards from multiple quests. I don't view the skill point that high either, because they are earned every level. If it were me, I would pick the ring because it gives me 5 trait points in each mental stat the cheapest for the final main quest. I play a rogue.

Apocalypse

Loreseeker
We must update the crown to make it worthwhile.
I propose we add to the crown a built-in rocket launcher with nuclear warheads and a dimensional parasite serum needle on top that transforms people into horrors when injected. :)