Mid Game Mage

Kakost

So, as of right now, Im staring at the Undermother. She just gently asked me to kill her daughter. It just so happens that I only need 2 extra shards to complete the eye of Tol. And I have a question: if I get those 2 by other means, can I still kill the Flame Prophet AND the Undermother? (Im crazy, yes I know, but Im not planning to do this right now... I'll get better and a bit more prepared).

I also went into the... What was the name... City of the Ancients? The one bellow Lannegar Mines. The Elementals there, not too scary, but... I did finish the "Like Father Like Son" quest, and I believe here in the forum is marked as suggested lvl 21, so I was feeling badass that it was running smoothly... Until I faced the boss.

And I'll be damn. I thought that was going to be a ok fight, but how wrong I was. The guy almost cooked me for dinner, I had to keep running around Lannegar Valle in circles while drinking potions and waiting for Griss to wake up, and had to spoon feed potions to Griss once she did. After that fight, I have been kind of shitting my pants. I tested the waters in the cursed Abbey, I took the quests from Varananni, but Im just simply too scared to try anything right now, particularly after this quest and after doing Castle Storm for Griss. The emotion of having invulnerable vampires running after my hide while I run for the fountains and zap all the undead in the way while drinking tons of potions and praying is not one Im willing to repeat any time soon.

Therefore, I really dont know what to do right now. The Flame Prophet seems pretty doable, perhaps even easy, but an unweakened Undermother is not something that I can do at the moment, I dont even have to try it to know. So I'll wait to take both in a single run. And as for the other quests remaining, Im scared to try. Guess it's back to the Maze, grind for some gold and stockpile on potions. Also, I guess it's finally time to put those "giant strenght", shield and the many resistances and many other potions I have hoarded to good use, perhaps even get a few more toys (summon scrolls, whatever). Now I'll be at the drawing board, thinking on every possible contingencies and consulting the mythic Oracle Wiki that lives in the fabled Googleland to prepare for my next jorneys...

Wish me luck guys

Edit: I still have some speed potions that I never used (I bought too much of them when rushing to get to Icemist). And to my shame, I havent done Cold Trail yet... too afraid. But... I guess it's time to face my fears. I'll have to grind for money thou - I spent too much to get over the Castle Storm. I really needed the 70 mana potions, mid potions of 35 mana just tickles me now, but 1k each is painfull. Anyway, I'll report on my future developments.

Hey, at least Griss has the fire sword Justice from a rumor boss, pretty pretty good. That'll help a lot, along with her advanced skills

Last edited:

VDX_360

Staff member
.... if I get those 2 by other means, can I still kill the Flame Prophet AND the Undermother? ...

Yes. A lot of players wanting to kill both will skip the Undermother fight for just that reason. Come back in the late game with end-game equipment to fight her in her unweakened state.

Note, you can kill the Flame Prophet for her drop, than at your leisure come back for the Undermother.

There are more than enough fixed shards in the game that you can skip a few.

And since Rumour Bosses have a chance to drop a black shard, there's an unlimited number of black shards in the game.

See Wiki for more.

Atomos

@Kakost if you didn't finish the Cursed Abbey, don't even consider facing the Undermother. Finishing Adaon quest, then Hirge quest dungeon halfway will help too. Get some cheap summoning decoys just in case you need to run! The boss that you'll gain access to has some good items (he's tough too, be careful, Turn Undead scrolls help). Get that Combustion skill up and running ASAP, it helps a lot.

Last edited:

slient

hirge is good because we use companion as a simple meat shield
in early her heal skill makes you to save potion fee but do not give too much point in heal because mana consumption efficient becomes bad, just lvl2 is okay
and after mid game, reset her build and give point to intervention, and bring mana potion
this makes her very efficient and effective meat shield to destory unique enemies(intervention converts 1 mana point to 8 hit point)
Post automatically merged:    

@Kakost
basically all melee boss in this game can be easily defeated by speed potion+lesser potion of restoration+disintegrate
run away with speed potion and shoot disintegrate properly

Last edited:

Kakost

hirge is good because we use companion as a simple meat shield
That's exactly the reason why I prefer Griss over her. My main problem with Elementalist is NOT against 1v1 anyone BBB (Big Bad Boss), but rather against swarms of enemies that eventually slips from Griss formation. Even packs of wolves are more problematic than a powerful boss to me. And Hirge is bad at that, for not having Griss' Cleave (which is great for keeping them still). And Griss has a lot more life and defense, and has Bash, which proved a life savior time and again. Whirlwind too has been helpful a lot of times.

With Griss, I only ever needed to use potions when I was lvl 14; before that, the only potions I had were the ones I found or got from quests, and only ever used a half dozen of the minor ones during life or death situations. And never used any mana potions until that, believe it or not. Which was something I struggled with at mid game actually, because I had to re-learn my game (now I actually drink them like water).

I finally complete Cold Trail. I was so stressed about it that I forgot to take a picture in the fortress. I got the pretty white robe thou.

That ended up being... A lot easier than I expected lol. Yes, Griss did fall once, yes I bravely run using a speed potion. And paralizys hit Griss hard (blessed be the Three for her shield!), but I quickly dispatched all the elementals in the room, so all that was left was the white dragon chasing me alone, which I quickly and effortlessly dispatched after "summoning" her back. A single Ice Elemental from a scroll was a huge help (thanks for the tip Atomos). But overall, that quest was super easy - maybe I overkilled a bit with tons of potions, like giant strenght and Cold Protection, but hey, Im thankfull for my hoarding skills, it is annoying have to go to my house in New Garand just to switch gears for full ice protection, and even trade a ring of +1 End for "simple" rings of +30 ice protection, but it's well worth it. Thanks to it I was well prepared.

Now I have Father of Wolves, Way of the Deer, Cursed Abbey and the quests under Lannegar Mine to do, besides the ones that only open after the Ark opens. All the others are done, but Im afraid to do any of those, despite my latest "easy" victory.

Oh, by the way, Elemental Lord... Room filled with critters, and he has a ton of defenses (no, I did not opened the door). How the hell do you beat that? (But if there's a way, I will)

@Kakost if you didn't finish the Cursed Abbey, don't even consider facing the Undermother. Finishing Adaon quest, then Hirge quest dungeon halfway will help too. Get some cheap summoning decoys just in case you need to run! The boss that you'll gain access to has some good items (he's tough too, be careful, Turn Undead scrolls help). Get that Combustion skill up and running ASAP, it helps a lot.
After doing Castle Storm, I wasnt eager to do neither Hirge, but specially not Adaon's quest. The idea of being locked up in a dungeon with Adaon as a companion is not one I am thrilled to experience. I reached the Observatory, but with Griss, stubbornly trying to see if I could do it with her instead, but you do need Adaon to open it. When I confirmed that, I gave up trying, and decided to get stronger before doing it.

Last edited:

Atomos

@Kakost you'll get stronger by doing this exact quest. It might be a chore to lug Adaon around, but it's well worth the effort ;)
Give him Despair hammer, and take some summoning scrolls as meatshield support. The most dangerous monsters there can be blasted with your fire and cold spells

Last edited:

Kakost

@Kakost you'll get stronger by doing this exact quest. It might be a chore to lug Adaon around, but it's well worth the effort ;)
Give him Despair hammer, and take some summoning scrolls as meatshield support. The most dangerous monsters there can be blasted with your fire and cold spells
Oh my, I wish you handt say that... Alright, I'll try to carefully prepare for that. I'll carefully check the wiki, and try to clear the path to the Observatory with Griss, then port back to Port Malan and quickly run towards it with Adaon before the cave resets, as to stick with him for as little as possible. And I'll also stockpile as many toys as I can for the trip, and pray for the best. Lets do this.

Hum... The wiki says there will be Lesser Earth Elementals (weak to poison/acid), Iron Golems (less resistant to Ice than it is to anything else) and an Ancient One (likewise Ice being a good option).

Ok, that seems pretty doable. On paper, it doesnt seem so problematic... But of course, the paper never meets reality. But if this is it, I think I can pull it over, especially since I think I wont need to gear up specific resistances for that, just physical defense, so that's good, since I can use my best items. Also, I have Despair and Prime Icicle for Adaon, so those should do good there, and I have staffs with poison and ice damage too.

Ok, I'll do it, wish me luck

Last edited:

VDX_360

Staff member
Adaon's Companion quest is the easiest of the bunch. Well, shortest. You don't have to kill anything. Sure it helps, and it's likely required you take out the golems as you come across them, but nothing is kill-locked. No same in grabbing the quest item, and fleeing like a good little rogue.

The golems aren't too bad. Feel encourage to retreat a room or two if you need. That can help keep the golems from ganging up on you. Tell Adaon to wait, go ahead and trigger a golem, run back to Adaon. Kill the golem, repeat.

Kakost

Adaon's Companion quest is the easiest of the bunch. Well, shortest. You don't have to kill anything. Sure it helps, and it's likely required you take out the golems as you come across them, but nothing is kill-locked. No same in grabbing the quest item, and fleeing like a good little rogue.

The golems aren't too bad. Feel encourage to retreat a room or two if you need. That can help keep the golems from ganging up on you. Tell Adaon to wait, go ahead and trigger a golem, run back to Adaon. Kill the golem, repeat.

Too late, I've already did it, and I gotta say, Adaon wasnt so bad. I even went all the way over the Ursans with him. The Guardian required 2 restoration scrolls, but it was fairly easy nevertheless - at no point was I at any risk. And I killed all golems pretty fast. Even forgot to summon the Ice Elemental scroll (which is indeed a mistake, I must condition myself to use it).

That was incredibly easy actually, such a relief. This has embolded me to do Hirge's quest now - and the Cursed Abbey afterwards.

Oh yes, I need to kill the King Kong (King Kurne), Im gonna try it right now, but he's lvl 23 so Im not so sure about that one. But I'll try