Tell us when you gain a level - share your character build advancement :)

Geezer

Thanks Atomos, it's a good thought and what was making me lean towards the Per choice but for the fact that the gold spent on a reset would provide more tangible reward put towards the final vault or some stat boosting gear like a belt or something.

One factor compounding the difficulty I'm having with active skill choice is that I'm trying to play with a controller (due to nerve damage in my hands and the fact I can use HDMI out to a 32" screen if I do) and having assigned shoulder buttons for active skills, I've used three already and after a fourth would have to consider redoing the gamepad config, since the keyboard shortcuts don't seem to have been baked in in the Android version but again, good thoughts. Thanks.

I might go pop at that Hill Giant first and save point allocation till I see where I'm weakest during that.
I was about to pop my +25 Varannari rep after this and go do those questline branches between now and the next significant level up, so if I can tailor any choices to suit that, it'd likely serve me best of all. Looking forward to it, cheers.

Atomos

Interesting. You're playing an archer rogue if I understand correctly? If I were to choose 3 or 4 active skills for the rest of the game, these would be:
4th one optional:
Kick seems fun and useful to an archer, but I don't like it, and can't recommend it because it's quirky and requires too much fiddling with buttons. Yuck!

Geezer

Kind of. I'm aiming for it (if you'll excuse the pun) by maining with a bow but switching to melee capability via hotkey if I get swarmed.
It's slower going at this stage to keep everything balanced compared to pure archer but it lets me switch companions to kit them each out and test what works with them until I've done their individual questlines and settled on who works best for the time I get to respec, possibly into pure archer unless I craft Adaon into that role.

I've been noticing a lot of references to Rapid Fire that do make me want to check it out but as I'm still discovering in game, I was trying to avoid anything I've not found organically myself too much, if I can help it.
If I continue down the path I'm on though, I do think those seem solid point investment candidates for my playstyle and should keep the fun in the gameplay for me too. Thank you again.

Geezer

I'd meant to come back to this thread a week ago but after typing out a lengthy post and then attempting to add/upload a screenshot with it, I lost the post I'd typed completely (so will attempt this in a note first and give up on the screenshot for now!).

From memory, I'd started a Rogue here and hit a wall (metaphorically speaking) so built a Cleric then a Warrior to play through half a dozen levels or so and get more of a feel for what would work best for a party to have in their skillset, then played a Mage just to round it out and access areas easier that had been thwarting my previous parties to boot.
By the time I'd got them all up to Lvl7, I think my Warrior was already at Lvl10; so I went back to each in turn, bringing them all up to Lvl14 with the intention of going back to my original Rogue and choosing some advance skills based on the knowledge gleaned here and through my various plays.
Did so and opened up my inventory to see a good strong arsenal of mixed mid-level bows (including Skeleton and Poison) but decided I could breeze early levels so well now, I might as well make a new Rogue and play with more of a purpose to craft a worthy, perhaps pure archer one by the similar point in game now.

So, there would be a screenshot here with a load screen for a Lvl14 Rogue, Cleric, Warrior and Mage from last week but today there's another Level 10 Rogue too! Points taken from @Atomos may be readily apparent and obvious from this point forth..

Just at the turning point of reaping the reward of playing the Sewer Slot Machine to up the fire rate of my bow (if that avoids spoilers well enough), I realised I'm also at a convenient point to pick a Guild and decide that if I'm going to, I should probably get more into character than the Griss/Hirge goody two-shoes buddy I'd been playing up to that point.
Cue a hard save; ditch Hirge, grab Addy and head to the waterfront to snag a part-time crew to boot! Took a similar Varsilia rep hit to the one for joining the guild but another Town Hall quest or two and I'd be back to local Hero status, so no bother.

I had wanted to get Rapid Fire by now but other points in PER and INT for convo unlockers saw me short on the requisite AGI, so I've settled on Precision shots in the meantime and saved a couple of Trait Points to be able to grab it on the next level up.

Lack of a bow at the time in the Unknown Dungeon saw me spec Addy differently to how I'd done in my previous Rogue, where he was the bowman and I was trying to dual-class like a Skyrim Stealth Archer wannabe; all his points went into AGI and Stab for now and I guess I'll see how that pans out but I've a spare Frost Bow in the vault, so a re-spec could be in his future if I change my mind but I'll more likely return to my other Rogue by then and can get a feel for it first that way.

So, current stats are 1/2/3 2/2/3; Skills - Evasion and Sprint at II with Archery at III (natch).
DPS is 18 (7% stun) with the Frost Bow and 18.2 with Magma Shortsword for that freshly cooked from frozen combo for any enemies who didn't get the [-]menu[/-] message from afar.
Dungeoneering is at III with Extra Recovery at I (with 1 SP in hand to snag it with the next couple of SP available).
Precision Shots is unlocked and at I, making it another option to spend SP on with the potential to get Trap Mastery too (but wanting to avoid too many active skills too soon, especially with Rapid Fire soon to be available too).

All companions are at least unlocked; I started with Griss until we were strong enough to get Hirge and had unlocked enough vaults to stash appropriate armour and weapons for each upcoming, potential party member. Went to get Addy after the girls were kitted accordingly and almost have enough money for a house, with only a PER check between me and the cheap(er) route of unlocking the Temple (done three quests for signatures but still have the medallion in hand and a forgery option I'll probably pursue).

Having joined Seventh House mainly for the equipment it might unlock, I'm not certain that the Advanced Skills suit the playstyle I'm forming though... at this point (while I still have a save before the choice), are any of the other guilds viable in a similar way to the Cleric getting good gains from joining the Warriors' Guild or is Seventh House pretty much the best/only option for Rogues?
I know my Mage was unable to do certain things in Freetown for example and the Cleric choice was something I'd play a second character to explore the choice of but do I send both Rogues down the obvious path or can I diversify with (maybe this) one of them?
Most things I *needed* from them are accessible after playing the slot, so who else *could* I join and not regret my choice?

Appreciate any thoughts on the matter and hope this doesn't detract from the thread purpose.

Atomos

Hi @Geezer , you can make another post with screenshots only if you feel like it. Making long posts only to run into trouble with network while uploading pics can be discouraging :s.
The only exclusive benefits you'd be getting by joining warriors guild, are those nice belts with STR, armor and health bonuses, and Heavy-handed advanced skill. Not a good deal for rogue, but quite tempting for cleric. You'd be giving up AGI belts, some interesting light and offhand weapons, and Assasinate and Poison Master advanced skills. The second one is good for archers 👍, you don't want to miss this, the rest is good if you decide to become an assassin

Geezer

Poison Master
I actually had the spare cash for this, together with the poison Bluesteel Dagger (and Toecutter and the Shock Dirk for Adaon too).
I just leveled up again in the basement of Tremadon's tower, collected 3 Fire Salts and teleported back to the Loreseekers only to find that speaking to the ghost in the tower negates the need (or option) to finish that part of the Amarisa quest there.
I did pick up a Vulcan Bow from the Flame Pits but it was only after my teleport that I realised I'd loaded the wrong save at one point, losing a Vulcan Dagger that would have paired well with it and leaving Adaon with the Magma Shortsword against the upcoming Icylons. Still, the poison Bluesteel is none too shabby, especially with Poison Master, so I'll carry on as is and look forward to an easier time getting through the Emerald Forest to pick up some Assassin's gear.
Should be fun. Cheers.

Kyoji

Hi there .
Lv16 for me now , with the range rogue , so all traits points to agility and awareness and the archery skills / advanced skills
I would like to switch to melee rogue , so what' s the best set up ?

Atomos

Hi @Kyoji . Basically evasion 3, and all skills improving damage are what you want, stabby skills FTW! Bodybuilding and magical training are nice too.
Forget about stealth and smoke bombs. These stormshadow tactics are useless against some enemies, especially when you think you might need them the most.
Check the wiki for rogue equipment. You need offhand and light weapons:

Geezer

Hi there .
Lv16 for me now , with the range rogue , so all traits points to agility and awareness and the archery skills / advanced skills
I would like to switch to melee rogue , so what' s the best set up ?
view

This is how I've built my latest rogue, intending to focus more on the ranged side but still able to fight out of a corner in close combat if need be. My melee DPS is pretty much on par with my ranged at the moment but I do feel I'm missing out on some big modifiers by not picking up Massive Criticals (didn't have the AGI at the time, then got sidetracked up North for a while) or putting points in Backstab (didn't think I'd need it but I kite, flank and switch from bow to dagger and dirk if I can get through a mob freely to their healer quite often).

Last night, I ended up with a Nivarian Town Hall quest in St. Admus' Abbey that had a Tolassian Noble amidst respawning corrupted sabrecats, as I popped Lvl19 to have 7 (or 8?) trait points and 3 (or 4?) skill points to distribute accordingly.
It was quite late by this point and I'd wanted to get out of there and save it before investing the points but figured levelling Trap Master would get me out more safely than much else, despite Evasion and anything else being ripe for the boosting.
I put a point in Beastmaster to make the sabrecats less of a threat and I'll probably hunt down a Tolassian tome by my next level up to give me that point back in hand (unless I take that to Lvl2 by then).

Since my last rogue build, I've missed Kick and perhaps the flanking bonus the most but the right bow for whatever enemy weakness has made this approach pretty playable.
I thought I was about ready to go and get Wyrmslayer by now but I got all the way to the priest in Lvl2 of the Maze and ran away because I was really low on health and didn't realise they weren't hostile!

I still haven't done a respec yet and cash isn't the worry it was when I last deliberated it but I'm thinking Wyrmslayer will let me get Icicle and at some point, the Permafrost bow to round out the gap in my elemental arsenal with some decent cold damage before I worry where to put points next.
With all those ticked off, maybe I can ditch Hirge for a while and either do Griss's quest now I've got her some Legion pieces and/or Adaon for the nifty bow from that.
I did just get the Composite Bow but with Jester's in hand already, it's just taking up another slot right now, unless I'm missing something?

Oh, I did the last Wizards' quest for my first foray into Icemist too, so I should probably be busy for a while! Must make a cloud save backup while I think about it!

Kyoji

Is poison master useful or valuable for a try in strategy ?
( I ask It cause I play from Just some weeks and this Is maybe my First week as a rogue )