How build cleric hirge?

VDX_360

Staff member
A good starting Hirge is a shield healer. A 2-H Maul Hirge will do more damage, but you might find a shield better for you.

Focus on maxing Hirge's Heal skill.

For Advances skills, Heavyhand and Duel do well.

Things to avoid: Any active skill (other than heal), that applies to Arbenos' Might. Hirge will tend to use them at all the wrong times, and they drain her mana for healing. As you get good with her, you might want to mix it up a little, but keep it simple for starts.

Hirge's healing will heal her first, which can make it harder for her to heal you. If you are using her as a tank, she might drain all her healing ability in the front line without every healing you.

One tactic you can do is to keep a stack of mana potions in your inventory. Let Hirge drain out her mana without worries and than you can use a mana potion on her when you need her to heal you. Tthose cognac's are cheap to keep for such purposes.

Intervention is only useful for Hirge in very unique situations. So for new players, I would stress not learning Intervention for Hirge. She's a main companion. She pops up pretty nicely without burning her mana.

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
Can Hirge use Summons scrolls without disrupting Player summons? That might help add some meat to the party...

VDX_360

Staff member
The party is only allowed ONE SUMMONS.
Summoning by any means will replace a summons already active.

Note: A party can't recruit a mercenary if they have a summons active, they can however, recruit a mercenary, than summons. That lets a party have a summons and a mercenary.

A long time ago, there was a version of the game that allowed both the player and companion to have an active summons, but that seemed to stem from an oddity in the update not the actual code or game design. It was a brief heyday of duel summons. Well, it lasted about a week.

The big advantage of having Hirge (or a companion) make a summons is that you can use her if your player is out of spells, or is in the cooldown for item use.

There are some times when it's better to summon a new creature before the old one dies -- think big fights or boss fights. That way your summons is more likely to get into the fight rather watching as monster run past and attack your mage.

p4ran0id

Staff member
Most important, don't spend too much for endurance!

Hirge is my girl and I love her.

I recommend to ignore heal for cleric and go for intervention first (same for main character), way more effective and with some friguld rum you can get mana back.

But back to Hirge, endurance is very stupid, don't do that, if she has too much hp she won't heal you.

That's the builds of my 2 Ironman runs with archer and mage (was for long Nr 1 on leaderboard)

For mage (summoner build)

For archer

VDX_360

Staff member
@p4ran0id brings up a few solid builds for Hirge. But for a starter Hirge for players still learning the game, I might caution away from the Immortal Cleric Build.

Intervention is way past due to get nerfed and skilled players can really take advantage of the unbalanced nature of the skill. I'm just not so sure new players will find it as useful.

p4ran0id

Staff member
@VDX_360 i only can recommend that, once you get her she has of course heal, so doesn't matter, no one will reset her skills after start (hope so)

1. Giving her less endurance is a very good advice, never more than one point, otherwise she won't be able to heal other

2. Intervention is very important and helpful, maybe not for beginners, but around lvl 12 I would spend 1 point on that

3. Never give her active skills that use mana, useless

I can help more because every run I used her only. But I need more concrete questions to answer.

If you play cleric as main (also used Hirge as companion) ignore heal and go for intervention first, it's so much easier to play with, the booze you get in new grand enclave and more cheaper than any health or mana pots

VDX_360

Staff member
No disagreement on my end -- Immortal Hirge is quite powerful.

And maybe you are on to something. There could be a lot of benefit to teaching new players about the perks of the Immortal Build from the get-go. That might make it a lot easier for them to learn the game as it is, quirks and all.

Gr8Scott

1. Giving her less endurance is a very good advice, never more than one point, otherwise she won't be able to heal other
interesting concept. I haven't played a mage yet. But if you are a summoner, do you need Hirge's heal ability? Does high endurance with intervention keep her tanking longer for you before she is out of the fight? Given her a cognac 2nd time around for extended play sounds like a good strategy. Does it work though?
Post automatically merged:    

Intervention is way past due to get nerfed and skilled players can really take advantage of the unbalanced nature of the skill. I'm just not so sure new players will find it as useful.
BTW, very thankful for those still active in the forum with advice for a game that was released a while ago. A great tribute to the game quality @DavidBVal and replay value for those of us who discover it later. Thank you.

Last edited:

VDX_360

Staff member
No build "needs" Hirge's healing ability, esp with the sheer amount of mid-game gold.

There's just pros-and-cons at play.

I did a comparison between Summon Mages paired with Hirge and with Griss. Both did well. Griss starting to outshine Hirge in the late game.

For Summoner, Hirge can keep your summons alive longer. That's really helpful in the early to mid-game when you might be struggling with insufficient magic points. The downside is all that healing she does on the summons is healing she can't do on you. Note that the overflow healing will be at play so often not a total waste.

But by the late game, most mage builds will have tons of magic points plus lots of gold for those tasty mana potions. So you mage can afford to summon like crazy. Heck, there will be times it will be easier to just re-summon your strongest summon than to try to worry about healing it.

And if you have several different summons (say Iron Golem, and Fire Golem) you can just rotate between them so you don't have to worry about cooldowns either.

In those situations, Griss' extra combat ability will be more valuable to you than Hirge's ability.

A solid summon build lets the summon take the damage.