Archealund Release Date?

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
Will their be EK2

He's not calling it EK2 but it's a continuation of the main timeline story, set a few years after EK. So IMO it's a sequel in all but name.

David has his reasons for not wanting to call it EK2, I suspect not least as its one continent over and therefore not set in the four exiled kingdoms, and of course the interface is different from iso-2D to full 3D. But I personally consider it an EK sequel in the same way Fallout New Vegas is a Fallout sequel even though they are set in different locations and having moved from iso-2D to full 3D.

But of my course my opinions are that and only that, David is the developer and he and only he establishes canonically this is not a sequel.

p4ran0id

Staff member
He's not calling it EK2 but it's a continuation of the main timeline story, set a few years after EK. So IMO it's a sequel in all but name.

David has his reasons for not wanting to call it EK2, I suspect not least as its one continent over and therefore not set in the four exiled kingdoms, and of course the interface is different from iso-2D to full 3D. But I personally consider it an EK sequel in the same way Fallout New Vegas is a Fallout sequel even though they are set in different locations and having moved from iso-2D to full 3D.

But of my course my opinions are that and only that, David is the developer and he and only he establishes canonically this is not a sequel.
It's not just few years, more like some centuries after EK. And it's not a sequel because the whole game mechanic will be changed, it will be a complete different game with round based fights and professions. You can't call that a sequel at all

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
It's not just few years, more like some centuries after EK. And it's not a sequel because the whole game mechanic will be changed, it will be a complete different game with round based fights and professions. You can't call that a sequel at all

I use Fallout as one example, but the same is true of many longstanding RPG franchises: Ultima, Might & Magic, Wizardry. Every thing you mentioned applies to them too: vast changes to game scope, mechanics, design, interface, graphics, etc., over the course of their sequels. I understand those are now "Boomer Games" and not appreciated by everyone. Not that I disapprove of David calling his game whatever he likes, nor that I have a fight I want to pick on this; but those gaming franchises among others have conditioned me that yes a sequel can have a radically different interface, pace, tone, and mechanics.