ROGUE CHALLENGE: The Varannari Albino

Apocalypse

Loreseeker
Back to the NEW CLASS COMPENDIUM

VARANNARI ALBINO

STORY: Varannari born with white skin, you've been shun by your own people like an impiri. And the impiri see you as one of their own, because of the color of your skin. You never were green enough...

This morning, you received a magical letter about an inheritance. Written in the impiri language, you know it's a mistake. So you must seek the origin of this mysterious letter and tell those impiri idiots to shove that inheritance up their pale butts!

Instead, you fall into a trap. Apparently, some impiri called the Forsaken are trying to kidnap another impiri, but caught you instead by mistake. This only proves how stupid those impiri are... So you escape and never look back.

Having survived the kidnapping, you are filled with nature's wisdom and finally discover your purpose: You swear on the land of your ancestors to reclaim your Varannari heritage and free your people from the evil Witches of Oorog!

GOAL: You must follow the "Old Ways", get to the highest reputation possible with the Varranari, defeat the Witches of Orogg and kill the final boss, the dreaded Void Lord of Mount Orogg!

RULE 1: To follow the "Old Ways", you must...
- Play a Rogue.
- Pick a cool Varannari name for your character, like Pale Skin Rabbit, Far Ted Wind, Furry Fury Bison, etc.
- Only wear simple equipment made from natural fabrics, leather, fur, hide, scales, wood, stone, bone or ivory. No metal, and no fancy contraptions like bows. (Yes you heard well: NO BOWS!)
*As an exception, you may use any equipment fabricated by the Varannari, whatever it's made of, as long as it's EXPLICITLY of Varannari origin. Don't cheat: Make your ancestors proud! (Made of bone, Goblin Flesh-Cutters will be your first authorised weapon. Until you find one, you'll need to fight with your fists!)
- Become BFFs with a wolf and a bear!!! To do so, you must learn to summon a wolf (by using scrolls) and a bear (with the Varannari skill) as soon as possible. Always carry a bunch of wolf scrolls with you, so you never feel alone. Obviously, you need to give your wolf and bear cool Varannari names, too. All other types of summons are forbidden.

RULE 2: It is strictly forbidden to enter Tremadan's Tower. This will effectively bar you from doing the game's original main quest.
*If you ever wish to hunt down the Undermother to use her Hide as armor, you'll need to trigger the Shards of Fate quest by speaking to Tremadan's illusion in his Tower. As an exception, you may enter the Tower for this purpose only. But don't trust the impiri wizard...

RULE 3: Complete all these mandatory quests: A Wild Mystery, A Web of Terror, The Cursed Abbey, Lady of the Night (Destroy Syllara's heart), Laughing Deer, Ancient Seal.

BOASTING RIGHTS: To beat this challenge and obtain boasting rights, you must follow the "Old Ways" to the letter, and defeat the final boss, the dreaded Void Lord of the Forbidden Pit of Mount Orogg! Post a screenshot of your victorious character and don't forget to tell us about your wolf and bear friends!!!

Back to the NEW CLASS COMPENDIUM

Last edited:

Molokot

"I am a single player" challenge :
Finish the game without using any companions, you are allowed to take each one for class quest to unlock extra locations, but they have to be naked and dumped as soon as you finish those 3 quests.

Don Desini

Loreseeker
Dear fellow Muud'ari, welcome to the CHALLENGE thread, where you may post your challenge to the Muud'ari community or find the perfect challenge to overcome and brag about it - or die trying! Here is my rogue challenge. Boast if you succeed, or post your own challenge!

ROGUE CHALLENGE:
THE VARANNARI ALBINO

STORY: Varannari born with white skin, you've been shun by your own people like an impiri. And the impiri see you as one of their own, because of the color of your skin. You never were green enough...

This morning, you received a magical letter about an inheritance. Written in the impiri language, you know it's a mistake. So you must seek the origin of this mysterious letter and tell those impiri idiots to shove that inheritance up their pale butts!

Instead, you fall into a trap. Apparently, some impiri called the Forsaken are trying to kidnap another impiri, but caught you instead by mistake. This only proves how stupid those impiri are... So you escape and never look back.

Having survived the kidnapping, you are filled with nature's wisdom and finally discover your purpose: You swear on the land of your ancestors to reclaim your Varannari heritage and free your people from the evil Witches of Oorog!

GOAL: You must follow the "Old Ways", get to the highest reputation possible with the Varranari, defeat the Witches of Orogg and kill the final boss, the dreaded Void Lord of Mount Orogg!

RULE 1: To follow the "Old Ways", you must...
- Play a Rogue.
- Pick a cool Varannari name for your character, like Pale Skin Rabbit, Far Ted Wind, Furry Fury Bison, etc.
- Only wear simple equipment made from natural fabrics, leather, fur, hide, scales, wood, stone, bone or ivory. No metal, and no fancy contraptions like bows. (Yes you heard well: NO BOWS!) Use your judgment: when in doubt, don't! Make your ancestors proud! (Made of bone, Goblin Flesh-Cutters will be your first authorised weapon. Until you find one, you'll need to fight with your fists!)
- Become BFFs with a wolf and a bear!!! To do so, you must learn to summon a wolf (by using scrolls) and a bear (with the Varannari skill) as soon as possible. Always carry a bunch of wolf scrolls with you, so you never feel alone. Obviously, you need to give your wolf and bear cool Varannari names, too. All other types of summons are forbidden.

RULE 2: It is strictly forbidden to enter Tremadan's Tower. This will effectively bar you from doing the game's original main quest.

RULE 3: Complete all these mandatory quests: A Wild Mystery, A Web of Terror, The Cursed Abbey, Lady of the Night (Destroy Syllara's heart), Laughing Deer, Ancient Seal.

BOASTING RIGHTS: To beat this challenge and obtain boasting rights, you must follow the "Old Ways" to the letter, and defeat the final boss, the dreaded Void Lord of the Forbidden Pit of Mount Orogg! Post a screenshot of your victorious character and don't forget to tell us about your wolf and bear friends!!!

______________________________________________​

Challenge accepted

Post automatically merged:    

So after beginning the challenge I now have a question. As you progress in levels and complete Varannari related quests what about Varannari made weapons? Are they allowed? Would they comply with "the old ways" since they are of native origin? I.e. hunters mark or hunters fang. Just curious. Also curious about Varannari jewelery. Allowed or not?I'd like to do the challenge correctly and preserve the fun of it.

Last edited:

Made in Heaven

Challenge accepted

So after beginning the challenge I now have a question. As you progress in levels and complete Varannari related quests what about Varannari made weapons? Are they allowed? Would they comply with "the old ways" since they are of native origin? I.e. hunters mark or hunters fang. Just curious. Also curious about Varannari jewelery. Allowed or not?I'd like to do the challenge correctly and preserve the fun of it.
The one who made it is your own clan. Why not use it?

I accepted this challenge yesterday and I'm now level 7 with loads of pelt collection and my only weapon is goblin gutter.
I'm planning to save the Varannari in inori and saving Niur.
And I think that will also get the devourer sting soon when I'm level 10 or higher.
I will show it when I get a 20 rep in Varannaris.

Apocalypse

Loreseeker
Is it okay to do it in any difficulties?
Sure!
The equipment limitations make it super hard already lol

Challenge accepted

Hi Smiling wyvern!
Good questions, I will update the "Old Ways" restrictions.

You're right, we should be authorised to use equipment made by the Varannari, it makes sense, even if there's metal or some super-complex stuff like a string attached to a branch loll. But the item will need to be EXPLICITLY of Varannari origin.

That would make Winter Wail the best authorised weapon I think. And it might be the only weapon powerful enough to kill the boss Void.

The Undermother's Hide would be an epic natural armor too, but I just realised we need to enter Tremadan's Tower to trigger the Undermother quest. I should add this exception too.

If you come up any other ideas, tell me! I'll update the challenge!

"I am a single player" challenge :
Finish the game without using any companions, you are allowed to take each one for class quest to unlock extra locations, but they have to be naked and dumped as soon as you finish those 3 quests.

I did that!!!
Hahaha I already did that with my mage Emma Storm! It was extremely difficult. I thought I'd gain more experience and get higher level without a companion, but turns out the companion's 20% XP penalty is actually an investment lolll. I died so many times lolll.

I chose not to use summons nor mercenaries, so I'd be literally alone. Do you allow for summons?

Last edited:

Deleted member 28869

What about flaming warhammer, icicle/primal icicle, primal ice chain, and other leather-made armor, what do you think of those items? And what of rings? What are rings made of anyway?

Also, do the restrictions apply to your character only?

Last edited:

Apocalypse

Loreseeker
What about flaming warhammer, icicle/primal icicle, primal ice chain, and other leather-made armor, what do you think of those items? And what of rings? What are rings made of anyway?

Also, do the restrictions apply to your character only?

Yes, the Old Ways apply to your character only. The impiri companions may defile nature and disrespect the Old Ways as much as they want, for they are born impure anyway. ;)

Most rings are made of metal, so no.
There are rings made of ivory in the apes cave near Friguld though, excellent rings too.

Leather armor is fine, but not Chain Armors, since they are made of metal chain mail attached to the leather. And metal is bad, m'kay? :)

I don't know about the Icicles and the Flaming Warhammer... Are we SURE they're 100% natural and made only from rock and ice? If yes, then sure you can use them! But if not, you will dishonor your ancestors and be shunned for eternity.
We'd need to ask David... loll

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
Bear in mind you do not need metal or technology to make bows, there are a ton of videos on Youtube showing you how to make a Stone Age / Neolithic bow. Certainly metal helps speed up production and effectiveness, but they are not necessary. "Primitive people could be highly inventive.

How is Winter Wail an authorised weapon? I don't get this. Its an Imperial longsword. Did you mean a different weapon? You mean Ancestral Blade of the Deer, right? The good news is Void Lord and Shadows in general have low resistance to cold.

That I can see obviously OK weapons are Cursed Fang (from corrupted Sabercats, the only offhand weapon), Bone Shiv, Hunter's Mark (Varannari made), Goblin Flesh-Cutter, Sacrificial Dagger (Varannari made), Hunter's Fang (Varannai made), Ancient Fang (Primeval Bear), Devourer Sting (Devourer).

How about Skeletal Bow & Ghost Eye? Bone, right?

Which means... presumably the only way for a Rogue to kill Trolls is Explosive Traps?

Here's a proposal, as the only other "Beast Slayer" bow, and fire, let's give Wyrmslayer a backstory of being Varannari enchanted?

If we're "allowed" to do a Warrior version or "Druid" (Cleric) run (the Varannai have both) that opens Bone Mace / Mystic Bone Mace, Bone Maul; potentially Screaming Mace and Lord's Fist too.

For that matter, and only my opinion: ignore the backstories of the companions and make them fellow Albino Varannari and have them with the same restrictions. Make a TRIBE. Otherwise you're just going to load-up your significant other with all the metals and whatnots which defeats the vibe.

As or the Undermother, I think stick with your first thought and ban the Tower of Tremedan. Whilst The Undermother's Hide is 5 armor and great, Hunter's Armor is 4, so it's not a huge loss, and it's very easy to get Lionskin Cuirass (3 armor) early on.

Other than that, Cloak of the Bear seems to be the best coat but good luck getting it. Vorator Hide Mantle or Primeval Mantle the peak until then.

Are all the leather-looking Belts okay? They look like they have some studs in the pictures...

Feet wise, Jungle Boots, Assassin's Boots, Sharkskin Boots, and Ruined Dragoon Boots look the best, along with Mystic Sandals / Sorceress' Sandals / Sandals of the Saint for any "Druids" out there.

Hands looks pretty obvious with Explorer Gauntlets and Gloves of the Explorer being the best by far.

For the head it doesn't get any better than Assassin's Hood (R), Hood of the Hermit ("Druid"), or Cowl of Fellowship (W).

For the thighs, Lionskin Leggings and Hunter's Leggings are the peak; Assassin's Leggings until then (Conjurer Pantaloons or Breeches of the Mad Wizard for Druids).

Neck it's Amulet of the Forest and Amulet of Wilderness due to manufacture, Bloodied Scarf or being silk, arguably Ursan Charm, and for "Druids" Necklace of the Depths (enchanted sand), Shaman Charm / Charm of the Great Seer. Can we assume the charms are "natural"?

Grinding Kurgua Cave for four Ivory Rings is going to be a BEAST of a job!