Companions revive with half of hp.

VDX_360

Staff member
That's a great question. Companions reviving with half-life is part of the balance of the game.

Pros: Companions revive with half-life, an unlimited amount of times.

Cons: Companions can't revive with enemies nearby, don't recover mana when they revive, and have a delay before reviving.

Cons: Companions often step on discovered traps, will often stand on fire tiles (and other damage tiles), often do other really weird AI things.

Cons: Companions get significantly reduced experience, get reduce number of skill and trait points at level up.

Cons: Companions have pre-selected Advanced Skills.

VDX_360

Staff member
Yes-ish and No-ish on he XP drain.

Yes, Companions reduce your XP by 20%. But Companions dramatically increase your Combat ability and dungeon durability. So in most situations, they increase your XP/hour and your XP/In-game-day. This holds especially true if you're aggressively progressing the game. They allow you to take on higher level enemies and quest sooner, which in turn increase your XP gains.

iamgaming

I understand that a companion dancing on the flame until it dies and revives with 1 hp will be frustrating but letting a companion dying at the end of each battle to use it as half-fresh meat shield for the next battle doesn’t seem reasonable. Maybe companions should be immune to traps, flame, etc like they don’t get hurt from player’s magic.

Streets ahead

I understand that a companion dancing on the flame until it dies and revives with 1 hp will be frustrating but letting a companion dying at the end of each battle to use it as half-fresh meat shield for the next battle doesn’t seem reasonable. Maybe companions should be immune to traps, flame, etc like they don’t get hurt from player’s magic.
You could just not use a companion for the challenge. The change you suggest would make my game playing experience less enjoyable if there was no way to turn it off.

VDX_360

Staff member
It's a world of magic, science and one Invisible Swamp Donkey. What's "Reasonable" is subject to some debate. :)

iamgaming

On top of this, Companion recovering with load makes my mage game incredibly easy. I can’t see any difference between it and just healing Companion to half hp after each battle.

BOSTACH

Yeah there are ways to force revive your companion it bothers me but... Meh because i use it lol
Giving them strong regeneration to half HP when enemies aren't around while standing still right next to you should be a reasonable... I think ¿

Last edited: