Feedback for dev

test4test

In this review I want to focus on high-level game improvements and road-mapping.
Basically, this is the review for the Dev.

First of all, I want to start with a finding that… I am more than sure that the author was inspire by some Underrail-game things. With a bit more modern ideas than classic fallout. And for me playing this game is like playing in alpha version of Underrail that was planned to be real-time initially.

Technical
1. Modification and game editing (textures, models, quests, balancing, etc)?
2. Interface scaling (especially for mobile segment). Now, PC gaming has advantage as “more territory is displayed on screen”. (For instance compare with iPhone X)
3. Game is good to be played on PC, but mobile-version interface ruin the atmosphere. When people see such interface, they automatically call it one “mobile-port”.
4. Interface if “very” modern, while game itself has “not-the-best” textures. Personally, I would make interface more “old-school” also. This will bring game intake to the new SOLID level.

Business:
1. The game may be published not only in Steam.
2. Personally, I wish to see this game future in a way of Battle for Wesnoth. But then, read #1 from technical.
3. Monetisation model may not be changed. Free from dev website, paid from Steam/gog/etc. And people will buy it, as “I want all to be in a single library”.
4. This game is more than a mobile port. Moreover, game could be potentially published for OS X market. Funny, but a fact, Mac App Store has extremely small number of games, so many developers underestimate the fact that they can earn quite a lot from Apple OS ecosystem gamings.

Thank you fore reading my thoughts.

p4ran0id

Staff member
Good ideas and I agree to that, but you overlooked the most important thing, the game is done so far and David works on his next project, so don't expect any changes.

And yes it was kind of mobile port (with many changes for desktop version), but next game should be easier to handle for different platforms or modding. 😉

test4test

with many changes for desktop version
Technically, not many. Basically, very few. IMHO

you overlooked the most important thing, the game is done
Thats a point. Game is not done yet ;-)

don't expect any changes
Actually, i will and this is true:
1. Upcoming game based on the same lore
2. Indie devs always tend to come back to their child products, no matter how long they pause it

Plus, i am not even speak about main thing - game popularity based on community.
Community can be 2 types "look at my character build" and "look at my mod that everybody can install".
2nd type always win. So, i am curious, how dev will promo and keep alive his new project.
And what steps he goes to archive to make it not just a "one/two-run-installation"

P.S.
it was kind of mobile port
Debatable...
I won’t be surprised if it turns out that initially he made game for Desktop and mobile version shift was made as a reinsurance measure(s)

Of course,
Some may disagree with me my thoughts Exiled Kingdoms, anyway... first of all..., yes, let wait for the Archaelund!

Good luck!

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
First of all, I want to start with a finding that… I am more than sure that the author was inspire by some Underrail-game things. With a bit more modern ideas than classic fallout. And for me playing this game is like playing in alpha version of Underrail that was planned to be real-time initially.

I played Underrail just for some hours, but by then EK was nearly on version 1.0. I have already stated what are my inspirations, many times. To list some: Fallout, Morrowind, Arcanum, Wizardry, Might&Magic. Each of those for different reasons. And above them all, tabletop RPGs.

Technical
1. Modification and game editing (textures, models, quests, balancing, etc)?
2. Interface scaling (especially for mobile segment). Now, PC gaming has advantage as “more territory is displayed on screen”. (For instance compare with iPhone X)
3. Game is good to be played on PC, but mobile-version interface ruin the atmosphere. When people see such interface, they automatically call it one “mobile-port”.
4. Interface if “very” modern, while game itself has “not-the-best” textures. Personally, I would make interface more “old-school” also. This will bring game intake to the new SOLID level.

My main resource as a "lone wolf" indie developer with EK was time, and it was (and is) extremely limited. By the time EK reached version 1.0 in September 2017, I was very satisfied with how it had performed on mobile, and had to make a decision wether it could be ported to PC, and if the effort would be worth it, financially speaking, or if I should move on to the next project quickly. Because ultimately, I never know how much time I have left. When will EK stop selling completely, and when will money run out. It's like a race against an invisible clock.

I decided to invest 7 months in a new 1.1 update (Mage, Thuram) and on preparing a PC version, and it definitely was worth it, but my time with EK, almost five years after first release, was running out. I needed to start out a new project, and quick; otherwise I'd run out of money and there would never be any new games, nor improvement to old ones. Still, I decided to spend another 3-4 months on improvements, v. 1.2. It added a lot of content (companion quests) and improvements for PC. I am aware the PC interface is still subpar, but UI work on an old java multiplatform project is really a pain, and probably everything I do has the potential of causing future bugs, given how many of the used libraries are now obsolete and need to be updated making lots of the code incompatible. If an update goes wrong, it will delay Archaelund, potentially jeopardizing the project.

Short version: updating EK at this point is not easy, and will only be done if a tech update is essential. After Archaelund is in Early Access and well on course, I might see things differently.

4. This game is more than a mobile port. Moreover, game could be potentially published for OS X market. Funny, but a fact, Mac App Store has extremely small number of games, so many developers underestimate the fact that they can earn quite a lot from Apple OS ecosystem gamings.

Thanks for that tip.