Accessing Grey Library

MrLeonie

My first post so bear with me
Warrior lvl 19 with grissenda companion
I am trying to do the "lost in a good book" quest but am denied entry to grey library (because I gave the trinket to the spice lady instead of jethro)
My reputation is -5 to golden hand. With my current level, I could easily massacre my way through the library but it seems to me that every time I upset a group then occasionally they will send groups to kill me. Like the forsaken shady travellers and the Orcs ambushes. Do not want golden hand to come after me too.
Is it possible to use a potion of invisibility to get into library? Or if I kill everyone will they come after me?
Any tips or advice would be great TIA!

BattleLord

Staff member
Loreseeker
Welcome to the forum

There are two ways you can deal with this situation:
- If you want to do it the peaceful way you can go and help the Golden hand to get back in their good books. You'll need to find 2 of the hidden necromancy tomes that are scattered around from the "Secrets of the dead" quest and give them to the Golden hand instead of the Loreseekers. This will get your reputation back positive and give you access to the Grey Library and its shops.
- The only other way is to slaughter your way through. Invisibility potions don't work since the mage guarding the Library can see through them. This will make you a permanent enemy of the Golden hand and cost you some Mercian reputation. But you won't be in too much trouble for it. The golden hand will not send killers after you, but you won't be able to get access to their shops which give great discounts on potions, gives you good money for the stuff you sell and sells some unique equipment.

Anon

Where can we find last tome? as i followed a walk through and distributed 2 books to golden hand and 1 to the lore seekers? i'm looking for the final tome and i can't find it

Felix

Where can we find last tome? as i followed a walk through and distributed 2 books to golden hand and 1 to the lore seekers? i'm looking for the final tome and i can't find it
You got the title of the book?
Just type it in the searching bar at the wiki page. Then there will be a detailed step by step guide.
Have tun!

VDX_360

Staff member
As stated above, the Wiki page is a great resource for most basic questions such as the locations for certain items.

Since you don't say which of the four books you're missing, the best we can do is give you the list of the four books. Click for maps of locations.
  1. Irazur Tomb (Tolassian Embalming Codex in chest by Lich)
  2. Castle Bluerock (On Imperial Necromancy)
  3. Mausoleum (Vampires, the Myth)
  4. The Grey Library (Of Ghosts and Spectres)
For #1, you have to get pass two secret doors and a lich.
For #2, you have to make it to the far corner of the map, and through a sometimes nasty fight.
For #3, it's in a big chest in a pretty open area so tends to be the first one people get.
For #4, you can only find it after you've gotten access to the library. It's behind a secret door in a trap filled room. So often people miss it on their way past the quest gate for Lost in a Good Book.

Anon

Thanksi searched, but it says it is located in the gray library, how am i supposed to get in there if they won't let me in?
You got the title of the book?
Just type it in the searching bar at the wiki page. Then there will be a detailed step by step guide.
Have tun
Post automatically merged:    

As stated above, the Wiki page is a great resource for most basic questions such as the locations for certain items.

Since you don't say which of the four books you're missing, the best we can do is give you the list of the four books. Click for maps of locations.
  1. Irazur Tomb (Tolassian Embalming Codex in chest by Lich)
  2. Castle Bluerock (On Imperial Necromancy)
  3. Mausoleum (Vampires, the Myth)
  4. The Grey Library (Of Ghosts and Spectres)
For #1, you have to get pass two secret doors and a lich.
For #2, you have to make it to the far corner of the map, and through a sometimes nasty fight.
For #3, it's in a big chest in a pretty open area so tends to be the first one people get.
For #4, you can only find it after you've gotten access to the library. It's behind a secret door in a trap filled room. So often people miss it on their way past the quest gate for Lost in a Good Book.
You are right i should have mentioned the name it's (Of Ghosts and Spectres) but i can't go inside the grey library because by mistake i gave 1 of those books to great library
Edit: I did that mistake because i followed a walk-through if i had given the last one to great library not the 2nd one :(

Last edited:

VDX_360

Staff member
If you can't peacefully access the Grey Library, you're choices are either ignore the quest, or fight you're way into the library. There's no real long term consequence for a neg reputation with the Golden Hand if you fight into the library. The merchants sell a few items that are nice in the early to mid-game, but aren't critical either way.

Anon

Okay thanks
If you can't peacefully access the Grey Library, you're choices are either ignore the quest, or fight you're way into the library. There's no real long term consequence for a neg reputation with the Golden Hand if you fight into the library. The merchants sell a few items that are nice in the early to mid-game, but aren't critical either way.