Resetting companion traits

Silken

Hi everyone.

I'm new to both the game & forums. I searched for this topic but couldn't find a definitive answer.

I wanted to know what advantage there is to resetting the companion's traits/skills.

Pure curiosity on my part...:) Thanks!

p4ran0id

Staff member
Yes it's possible as soon as you can access a guild house, like in New Garand, warrior guild for example, there is one person who will reset the skills and traits. But you need at least lvl 9 to complete the quest and get access to him ;)

Silken

p4ran0id":8ejiufs7 said:
Yes it's possible as soon as you can access a guild house, like in New Garand, warrior guild for example, there is one person who will reset the skills and traits. But you need at least lvl 9 to complete the quest and get access to him ;)

I know that...:) I was wondering more how resetting these would be of use to me. For instance, resetting Gris's traits so she's all strength, etc. Would that be useful or is it better to keep companions as they were?

BattleLord

Staff member
Loreseeker
Depends on the traits and skills they have now. Respeccing gets more expensive every time you do it so you better think it through beforehand.

It could be useful to remove starter traits you don't like (like that Gris starts with 1 personality) or swap the build of your companions (instead of using Gris as a tank, give her two handed mastery and make her a powerful damagedealer) or just undoing a mistake if you don't have a save file to reload (like on ironman mode)

Another time that respeccing companions could be useful is after getting their advanced skill. If you didn't prepare them for it beforehand there is a big chance that you will not be able to get some of their advanced skills you might want because they don't have the right traits needed for it. Since companions only get trait and skillpoints very slowly it could be a lot easier to just fully respecc them and give them a new build based on their new skills.

Alan_SP

Staff member
Administrator
Silken":3hujhmv9 said:
I was wondering more how resetting these would be of use to me.
OK, you're going into "heavy philosophical" territory. :D

If you're asking if you (your character) would get more strength if your companion is maxed out on strength, of course not. You're "two distinct people", so, you're strong as you are, your companion as (s)he is.

But, looking at gameplay, of course that having companion who can better survive, can kill more enemies, or whatever, can have great impact on your ... gameplay. :D

So, there's potential use. If you can see it and can respec to better companion.

Silken

Thanks for all the imput....yesh, I was going into more philosophical aspects...lol!

I guess I'm trying to see how these companions can best compliment my character so that they work well together...:)

p4ran0id

Staff member
It's worth to reskill your companion after unlock advanced skills. Of course you also can do it before and after, but most important part is for advanced skills.

I also reskilled for unweakened undermother on Ironman. So reskill is never a bad idea ^^