Fun but extremely flawed

Frangit

Hired companions are a waste of gold and completely useless.

The casual setting is anything but. Some people play games to feel powerful and not have to struggle to win. Can't even do that on casual in this game. You don't wanna make the game easier? Cool. Then remane it so people aren't fooled into thinking its easy.

The game is designed to limit levels byt a draconian level progression. I'm guessing in order to keep people from out leveling end game content. You can't even get close to leveling up all the skills you like. You'd have to be around level 32. That would require well over 100 hours of play on a single character. Totally unreasonable.

There is a complete lack of tactics in this game. Paralysis locking someone and requiring crazy high amounts of resistance of a particular type is not a strategy. Its lazy programming and game design. It forces a particular kind of gameplay.

Why in God's name would you allow story companions all the way through the game, encouraging players to develop and rely upon party play then force them to face to final dungeon alone. It's your game and you can make whatever decisions you wish. Some of your decisions are just bad ones.

p4ran0id

Staff member
I respect your opinion, but I disagree with that!

Yes you're right about the hired companions, that's not worth it. But Gris, Hirge and Adaon are really helpful and won't die (they revive).

About the difficulty, that discussion is not new, we talked about it several times and for n players there are about 2^n opinions to that topic ;)

My opinion: I like the difficulty levels, well yes I would like to save on hard inside a dungeon, but that's the only point that bothers me.

Causal is easy, but only if you get how to play the game. What you want is more like a story mode, I'm against that, but I'm only a player and that's only my opinion. I play a lot of RPG games and EK is one of few where I spend a lot of time because of the difficulty. There is always some space to improve or to learn how you can solve something 'better'. That's what I love about that game and the main reason why I didn't quit after the first run. But that's my opinion, I'm not the developer and my vote doesn't count more than yours. :)

Alan_SP

Staff member
Administrator
Frangit":3bnuge94 said:
There is a complete lack of tactics in this game.

I'm not sure what word tactics means to you, but this game requires a lot of it. Of course, when you use word tactics by its dictionary meaning.

You need to choose right gear for particular quest, in combat you need to know how to fight (pretty complex "finger dance" is required), etc.

On the other hand, if it is so bad for you, why bother? I mean, this is a game, you play it for fun. If it isn't fun to you, just go somewhere else.

Also, I think you already come to conclusion that this game is made as it is by developers choices. So, it is as it is. And will stay so (as you can read, developer works on new project).

Frangit

Like I said it's fun but has deep flaws. Its perfectly acceptable to enjoy a game despite its many many flaws.

If you like it as is then good for you. I'd prefer a great many changes though.

Heck Diablo 1 AND 2 had exploitable tricks to "cheat". The developers knew they were there and left them in the game on purpose. Why? Because those games were HARD. And they wanted to give players looking for less of a challenge or an edge some sort of out.

Alan_SP

Staff member
Administrator
Frangit":3ovq9xd6 said:
Heck Diablo 1 AND 2 had exploitable tricks to "cheat".

I guess you know that D1 i D2 are made by Blizzard? And EK is one man job. So, everyone has his own vision.

I agree that you have your own vision, it is fine. But, allow others to have their own vision and enjoy it or don't. I assure you, developer made his choices on purpose. You maybe don't like them, but developer do like them.

Just wanted to say, I understand you want something different. It is fine. But, EK will not be changed, maybe some quest will be added in undefined future, but that's it.

p4ran0id

Staff member
Just a little warning, talking about cheating is forbidden here...

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=232

"Discussion about cheats/tampering/modificacion/exploits of the game"

I hope no one will start a discussion about cheats or similar, otherwise I have to close the topic, so please don't do that ;)

Xen

Loreseeker
IMHO cheating in a game is not fun at all, most of us play because of the challenge and excitement. Without those, the game has no life and there is nothing to look for after playing it for several hours you won't play it anymore because you can just cheat things out and do what you want. A real game should be fun and frustrating at the same time just like in real life, you won't know the exact feeling of being happy if you don't experience sorrow.

p4ran0id

Staff member
The problem is not cheating, but to discuss how to do it inside that forum. David explained it several times, you can cheat as much as you want, just don't discuss about that topic inside the forum. The problem is, as long as there is no build in option or an API for modding, each cheat and Co could end with destroying the game stability or even destroying the save files. And guess whom the cheater will ask for help after that ;)

Without that rule, David would spend most time to solve such problems. That's why talking about such stuff is forbidden inside that forum. You can open an own one and talk about it as much as you like, but don't expect support if something goes wrong.

KnotYou

Agree difficulty is stupid hard, why have easy normal hard when no such thing in game. Also buggy had orc map but not anymore? Can't get again, why not! Game locks up in dungeon if die at exiting. Lame !