Help with new mage : Hard mode

Superkurd13

So I’ve been playing for a bit on hard mode with a rogue (lvl 7)but am not super in to
The style and want to play mage (also on hard). I already know where to get griss when I’m high enough leave but I’m literally struggling in goblin cave... with no wand at the start I can’t fireballl enough times to kill so many goblins. Wondering if anyone had some tips for me for starting off as hard mode Mage that might help me get rolling. Thanks. My starting build was 2 int, 1 end 1 fireball 1 wand mastery 1 mana surge.

Starting to think I need to approach the early
Game very differently

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Goblins are fire resistant.

In the early game, I think Lightning and Ice Storm are far more useful; I'd also take mana surge a bit later, and maybe take Mage Armor for survivability.

Superkurd13

Thanks, I rebuilt my character taking 2 points of agility to start and I’ve storm, which immediately made the gobo’s manageable. Now I’m lvl 4 and have griss, I think I’m cruising

Cajin

I recently hit level 20 on mage, the advice I give you is definitely pick up mage armor up to level 3 then go for mage barrier(advanced skill). There will be times where you wanna pull out your hair because of your squishyness, dont worry your time will come. Starting off mages are weak but by level 10ish+ become monsters.
I run a summoner build with earth mastery 3 and summoner 3 with hirge as my healer and my iron golem as the tank and works out great.